cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need To Tint Skylight

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you ever tinted the interior portion of a skylight? I have two skylights in my current rig and they are letting in too much heat and light.

I don't want to use blinds, curtains or anything that blocks them. I just need to darken them up. Do any of you have experience with this type of project that you could share?

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
19 REPLIES 19

Bayerlake
Explorer
Explorer
Vinyl stick ons from Amazon. They look like stained glass. You can get just about anything. Still give light but very filtered.
Diana
Northern Wisconsin

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the white Krylon Fusion
Had it on all the skylights and vents for several years and it seems to help with the heat transfer plus it helps protect the plastic from the UV rays.
Tinbender

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For some unearthly reason every used RV we bought had a skylite in the bathroom of all places. If I ever had money to buy a new unit it sure wouldn't have a skylite.

I put two coats of white elastomeric Kool Seal on them which cuts the summer sun heat and helps with the noise during a rain or hail storm.
In the winter a cut closed cell 2" Ethafoam to fit up in the skylite opening to keep the cold out and heat in.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Spray it with that night shade taillight tint that the "cool" kids put on their rice rockets.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
To apply tint to a curve like dome skylights you just need a heat gun. Apply the tint starting in the middle and work your way outward. The areas where the tint starts creasing, use a heat gun to shrink and smooth out the area. It's similar to applying tint to curved rear windows of cars.

Terrific info. Thank you very much.

Jim

Community Alumni
Not applicable
To apply tint to a curve like dome skylights you just need a heat gun. Apply the tint starting in the middle and work your way outward. The areas where the tint starts creasing, use a heat gun to shrink and smooth out the area. It's similar to applying tint to curved rear windows of cars.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Ductape Dave wrote:
What about using window tint film and apply it to the skylight, and you can choose how dark you want it.

the tint I have used is not flexible and would not look decent.
bumpy

That's my concern too. Due to the shape of the interior dome it probably won't look right. But I've found some that works by clinging instead of adhesive. So I might try it out.

Jim

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape Dave wrote:
What about using window tint film and apply it to the skylight, and you can choose how dark you want it.

the tint I have used is not flexible and would not look decent.
bumpy

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
it would be easier to just get some of those padded fillers made to stuff in the opening.
bumpy

I thought about that, but those pillows won't work due to the shape of the skylight. And I don't want to block it off, I just want to darken it.

Jim

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
it would be easier to just get some of those padded fillers made to stuff in the opening.
bumpy

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I installed vinyl siding J channel on three sides and just slide in a piece of foil faced bubble wrap into the channel, it has an R value which helps block out the heat and can be removed when I want light.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love wrote:
I did both...painted the outside dome with white Krylon paint (hopefully sealing some spider web cracks forming after 7 years in the sun) and put stick on window tinting on the inside bottom panel. Nice and shaded inside now, but still an adequate amount of translucent light in the shower.

I was going to mention Krylon myself, and I see they have a couple of new and "improved" stuff.
bumpy

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I did both...painted the outside dome with white Krylon paint (hopefully sealing some spider web cracks forming after 7 years in the sun) and put stick on window tinting on the inside bottom panel. Nice and shaded inside now, but still an adequate amount of translucent light in the shower.