cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and confused

eherber
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! New here, so instantly I apologize if this info is somewhere else, and I do not know where. I did some searching, but I'm also at work so I can't steal all the time.

My Wife and I just entered into the travel trailer world. We're pretty much complete newbies. We did our research and found a TT with a bunk house was the best bet with our family, us and 3 kiddos 5 and under. We purchased the new (cringe) Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 267BHSW. We got the Baja package and the rocky mountain edition. We live in AZ, plan to do a lot of dry camping, but also try to traverse the country and show our kids what it has to offer. On top of visiting family in MN and VA. Our intent, or so we thought, was to buy a used 2016-2019 Suburban. Separate our kids in the vehicle, and bring the 4 legged friend inside for comfort too. In talking with some co-workers who have done a lot of camping, they have since advised us to not go with the suburban, as it is more or less the half ton now, they do not make the 3/4 ton anymore (since 2013.) With the trailer being at max 7300lbs, towing up the mountains of AZ, they don't think the 1500 is all that "safe" of an option. Fine, so now our options are a 3/4 truck for the most part as we want something used but with lower miles. Now sacrificing our space (all 3 kids in child's seats, two in rear facing)

The gist. Are they correct? Even with the different engine packages of the newer subs, their point is the transmission and suspension aren't really "up to par" for towing the 30' raised trailer fully loaded. Granted the tow rating of the sub is 8100-8300 - other factors should be considered.

Thanks for your time, and any input. Again, I apologize If this info is out there. I need to get more concrete answers to my wife, she hears me, gets me, but then circles back to the Sub... she wants the space. I... do not want to sacrifice safety.
43 REPLIES 43

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chevy and Nissan both offer heavy duty vans that should be considered for your use. They can be hard to find but they do exist and can be ordered.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
This is a 'little' on the expensive side but, it will get the job done. :B

Ford 6 Door

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with eth Suburban, but my daughters family tows a slightly larger Jayco 28BHBE, gross weight 9200 lbs, with a Ford Expedition. What makes it viable is that it has the factory installed HD Trailer Tow Option which includes a bigger radiator, transmission cooler, higher rear axle ratio and electric brake controller.

If your Suburban has all of that, I would not be concerned.

Last tip. Know your load. Take the loaded Suburban to the scales and have it weighed. Same with the trailer.

The kids will love it.

Your only other choice is a 4 door 3/4 pickup. Pretty cozy in the back with 3 kids and a dog.

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
With all of the naysayers on the Suburban, you probably should pass any 3/4 ton or 1 ton gas pickup unless itโ€™s the latest model year with the Ford 7.3 or GM 6.6. Best to go straight to a diesel.

With the Suburban at 350+ HP and 380+ #-ft of torque an HD pickup isnโ€™t going to buy you anything to be safe โ€œtowing up the mountains of AZโ€ as you have stated.

Will an HD truck handle the weight better, sure, but with a family of five and a 7500# GVWR there is t any reason why a properly equipped Suburban (3.42 axle) and proper weight distribution canโ€™t tow that trailer.

If you are looking for room for your kids seriously look at a 3/4 ton or 1 ton full size van. My choice would be an Express/Savana as it should tow that trailer with relative ease and they return good fuel economy when not towing (for what they are!). We used to tow a nearly 33โ€™ camper with seven of us in an Express and it was a great combination.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
Maybe a 3/4 ton van?

This^^^^^

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
I think you'll find any 250/2500 Chevy/Ford/Ram crew cabs are more than sufficient for your needs since they are even larger than the previous gen trucks.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
7300 is max weight/gvw of the trailer?
Newer Sub will pull that all day long and twice on Sundays.
Will it be the โ€œbestโ€ vehicle? Nope.
Will it be safe and have plenty of power? Yup
My only concern would be the air ride and how much weight / weight distribution it would handle. Do they make newer Burbs with just springs?
If so Iโ€™d want that preferably. Easier to upgrade suspension if needed.
All the geezernet pansies will tell you youโ€™re going to crash n kill a bus load of nuns.
But theyโ€™re old and paranoid.

And if you can get a 6.2 even better.

All that said, Iโ€™d prefer a HD pickup or at least a 1/2 ton pickup. But if you want to keep the 3 kids separated and have to have the pooch in the truck and not the trailer then you need a suv for longer trips.
If you want HD and suv, find a nice 2500 Burb or Excursion and deal With it being older.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crew cab truck at a minimum. I've got an 8 year old, 5 year old and 21 month old and 3 small dogs. We have a crew cab 2500, but our next truck will hopefully be more of a megacab style. It just gives more interior room and allows the rear seats to recline which will be more comfortable for longer trips. I'm tall, 6-04, so even with the crew cab we have our youngest behind my wife's seat because there isn't quite enough room for the rear facing seat and my seat all the way back. Keep in mind that a pickup will allow them to touch/pinch/scratch/steal from/etc each other the entire drive.

Hopefully Ford and GM offer a mega cab style pickup in the future. It sure is nice. My 8 and 5 year old are already very tall for their age and will continue to need more and more leg room.

Since you are buying a truck for camping, please start off right and get a heavier truck. The kids will continue to grow, the stuff you bring camping (bikes/toys/wood/grills/etc) will continue to grow. All that stuff adds weight. A half ton might get the job done, but a 3/4 or 1 ton will definitely get the job done and won't be nearly as close to maxed out while doing it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the Ram Megacab - 2500 is plenty of truck for that trailer though. 3500 wouldn't hurt but not necessary. Even without the Megacab the trucks have a lot of room in the backseat. I started RVing with 3 kids under 5 and a full size truck backseat is a lot of room. Plus it keeps them all, "within reach" ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 3/4 ton van idea of JDC is a good one. My three Tahoes are very similar to subs and I would not go over 6000-6500 and there is only two of us in the tow vehicle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah the 'burb has been passed by, by the towing world. We had one for years and traveled all over the west but only pulled lightweight popups and later a travelmanor. You need a HD truck like a 3/4 ton. The Crew cabs will give you plenty of room for the kids in the back. And you'll have a lot of storage space in the bed of the truck especially if you get a topper or tonneu cover.

You are braver than I, in taking those small kids camping....LOL. We took ours to all 48 lower states and Canada and Mexico. But we let them get a bit older and they were spaced farther apart. That took quite a few years of course taking 3 to 4 week vacations.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a 3/4 ton van?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
You really should do something more substantial than a suburban. Check out a ram 3500 single rear wheel with the mega cab. The cab will help with the rear facing seats.