cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New beams....

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
So, the backstory. Have committed to trying to maintain my truck for another 10 year run...will be 12 y/o next month. I have baby-ed it. Numerous times I had the head lamps and turn signals glass (plastic!) buffed out...lasts a bit then right back to hazy. The last time the “seal” on the turn signals leaked, condensation formed and stayed in the cell , and operation was dodgy at best. All plastic had crystallized (which will happen to these soon enough... but my Alzheimer’s should be in full bloom by then and I won’t care (or remember). 😮

So, options considered;... leave it be until they fall apart (doesn’t sound like Chas), replace (with half price after-market (you get what you pay for) ) (I would have done this option if selling myself and trying to maximize flip return).Or, buy GM replacement version. You can see where this is headed. I had them drop shipped over-night to my local dealer... begged a 10% discount (after 45% mark-up !). And picked them up today. Installed reasonably easy ..o.k., a few starts and stops, and getting the daytime running lights to re-sync was problematic ( God bless the internet !). Expensive, but, as I have said before, I am worth it. Tail lights still look pretty good so those remain unchanged.

Now, the ouch... $500 + tax out the door. Sheesh... I tried to track down gently used O.E.M. , but they all wanted near after-market prices...and everybody's definition of gently used seems different then mine. :h

I am pleased. So, why hang on to the truck ??? They don’t make the big block Chevy any more... and, I got it to pull something heavy, which it does.

Sometimes the simple things bring the best satisfaction... just have to throw money at it. Besides...I've been wanting to do this for a while.

late edit... took it out tonight ...adjusted the beams (only vertical on this model year, no horizontal), requires Torx bit on the GM adjustor. I'm not sophisticated ... get them level...try them out...adjust over the next few nights until satisfied. (and fewer flip offs / hi-beam flickers).:B

Chas

2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat
11 REPLIES 11

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Well...there you go Gary.

I could of bought a new set every year for 5 years for what
I paid for the GM version. That is the way it goes...

Charles
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I have used am-autoparts.com many time with good results. Here's all four unit's with a 10 year warranty.....

2003 Silverado head lights and turn signals.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Check Rock Auto for replacement lights. I very used them several times on different vehicles and have been very happy with them.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,

I think you are correct... I tried multiple popular products
to re-clarify the lens covers... and I let the local "pros"
have a couple shots at them. In hindsight, probably should
have just gone with aftermarket replacements earlier in the
journey. I get a kick out of the current ad running...wipe it
on...wipe it off ... and "brilliance". Marketing... it is plastic.

Charles
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The after market has surprising good headlights available. I replaced mine with some of them about five years ago and they are holding up better than the stockers did.
BTW, they all have a protective coating and once you polish that off they quickly age. So be gentle when caring for them.

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Russ...

I found the replacements for just a bit north of 1/2 price of O.E.M. on the net.. with aftermarkets S&H varies (some free , some ridiculous)..as does quality. (some good, some not). I phone ordered mine from my local Chevy dealer (that I use) and picked them up the next afternoon...shipped from Ca. to Az.

...btw... all parts clearly stamped with Made in Mexico or Made in China.

Charles
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can replace with aftermarket several times for the cost of OEM. I have the same issue with my RAM hazing on the inside.
Likely a Fall project.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I tried buffing out my daughters BMW lens. I didn't like the result. I replaced them with after market lens and they look super. Much cheaper then BMW's price.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
You are correct. Just trying to justify the expense.

Paul,
It seems that here in the desert those kits do not provide
lasting results... I was very pleased with the results initially
but it had gotten to the point of diminishing returns. I wish my
tow vehicle could fit in the garage or I had covered parking....
or they were (throwback) made of glass.
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought all the buffing kits actually lasted. I guess not then? I bought a turtle wax kit to try on my Acura.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a question here, or are you just trying to justify the expense on your truck?
If you get another 10 years, it was money well spent, so don't worry about it. If you sell it later this year, then you may have wasted the money, since you could have buffed them again for a lot less.

You said you were happy...and that is what it's all about, right?

Be Happy:B
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets