2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
15 REPLIES 15

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
If it disables the truck until the load is lightened then by all means a good idea.

Good God.....NO!
All I need is a truck that shuts off if its 100lbs over some fictitious payload rating!

I agree. What if your fat Aunt Millie wanted to ride along -- she'd throw the whole thing into a tailspin!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
If it disables the truck until the load is lightened then by all means a good idea.

Good God.....NO!
All I need is a truck that shuts off if its 100lbs over some fictitious payload rating!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Not sure if keeping someone who is so dumb as to think, "OMFG, I'm 10lbs over! I can't go on my camping trip now!" from hitting the road is such a BAD thing.

Oh, and those other driver crutches... People weren't checking their blind spots already. People were running over/into things because they were not paying attention, too tired, on prescription meds, high, or dunk anyway. They were already depending on these features before they even existed... So what if it makes them dumber? It makes me safer and leaves me less agitated after a drive because I haven't had to dodge as many of them.

As far as you becoming dumber because of them Grit, a good friend would tell you that you were already well on your way, and the "crutches" have nothing to do with it. I am kidding!

Agreed on all of the above!
And I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer! LOL
Did p!ss me off that I dented my garage door though...at least I didn't punch the ladder through it!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
OBTW...these idiot light things does NOT make drivers dumber...just proves that they ARE dumber...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
That would be great and another endless discussion on these forums of weight police...

dodge guy wrote:

It would need lots and lots of both smarts and hysteresis to avoid false tripping.

As the dynamic and shock loads would need to be nulled...but at what point would that be set at ?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure if keeping someone who is so dumb as to think, "OMFG, I'm 10lbs over! I can't go on my camping trip now!" from hitting the road is such a BAD thing.

Oh, and those other driver crutches... People weren't checking their blind spots already. People were running over/into things because they were not paying attention, too tired, on prescription meds, high, or dunk anyway. They were already depending on these features before they even existed... So what if it makes them dumber? It makes me safer and leaves me less agitated after a drive because I haven't had to dodge as many of them.

As far as you becoming dumber because of them Grit, a good friend would tell you that you were already well on your way, and the "crutches" have nothing to do with it. I am kidding!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Grit...great post !

Agree and will wait for the automatic wipe'n flush option...
-Ben Picture of my rig

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Great, another useless costly โ€œfeatureโ€ that will not only make people dumber, but provide fodder for years to come from the rvnet weight police.

Where it really matters with commercial hauling and legal axle loads, itโ€™s a welcome addition.
For the weekend warrior who is too ignorant or careless to know how much his trailer weighs, itโ€™s a nanny. At least it will be paired with a 360 deg invisible trailer camera, active lane keeping, adaptive cruise, hill start assist, collision avoidance and pro trailer backup. Because pretty soon no ones going to know how to drive without just running stuff over because the โ€œcarโ€ didnโ€™t tell them it was there!
Just like all the other ****.
Makes you a worse driver. Now that we have 2 vehicles with blind spot monitoring, guess what, Iโ€™m subconsciously becoming reliant on it and find myself starting to change lanes in the vehicles that donโ€™t have it, without a good blind spot check.
Backup cams. Pretty handy, but another crutch. Been in the habit now of finishing my backup to the shop with the camera because I can see how close the trailer hitch is to the door. Put a 26โ€™ extension ladder into my garage door that was in the back of the pickup, that I would have seen in the rear view mirror, but out of habit I used the camera.
These crutches are turning me into a dumbass as well apparently!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing new, the trucking industry has had it for many years.

We adapted the system to work on out F350 & F550 (and bigger) trucks years ago. The driver gets real time readings on their smartphone. They can be standing next to the truck and watch front & rear axle weights as the truck is being loaded.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good to me. Considering the fact that trucks have pretty much doubled in price over the last 10 years, and passenger cars have had an average increase of only 25-30% over the same time period, I fully expect a LOT of new technology and features on the new trucks. Naturally, the high demand for unnecessarily large trucks is pushing the prices sky-high, but buyers need to expect a good bit of new technology and product content in return.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œA lot like the battery icon at the top of your phone, the taillights tell you how loaded the bed of the truck is by how many lights in the inner orange portion are lit. The more you carry, the more lights come on and the top portion will flash if the scale detects an overload.โ€

Why not the actual weight with lights? Unless the system is guessing/estimating. My iPhone and iPad have both..icon and SOC percent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

- I do expect this will be logged in the trucks computer, so if there is warranty work, they can document, you were overloading the truck.

Yep! I expect that this will be an interesting part of this to see unfold. Ford will deny a lot of warranty work based on computer records of overloaded trucks.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Actually a good idea in general:
- Sounds like they aren't providing actual weights but just 4 lights (kind of like the black tank sensors we all know and love). So if you are trying to dial in the last 50lb of payload, it's not going to be very useful.
- I do expect this will be logged in the trucks computer, so if there is warranty work, they can document, you were overloading the truck.
- But regardless, this will eliminate (or at least make clear to the owner) when trucks are being grossly overloaded.
- It does bring up a question of if you add after market suspension upgrades (like airbags), does that mess up the system?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV