cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEW GUY Looking for Best Hard Side TC for light off roading

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
So here is my story i am 25 ill be buying a Ford F-350 Dually Super Cab (or extended if u prefer basicly not a 4 door ) with a 8' bed
i am 100% noob to truck campers but not to trucks and off roading but i am also not calling my self a expert
before i get into campers i would like to know what is more important having super light weight how much would be to much with a 6k payload and COG... how do the 2 specs come in to play with off roading i know the COG need to be at or forward of the rear axle beyond that i don't know much
i would like to define the off roading ill be doing it will mostly be on trails but if i need to i would like to be able to travel off trails if i need get to the right camping spot but no MAJOR rock crawling or mud bogging
that said i would like to also have a 6'' lift and 3'' body lift for when i do not have the TC with me. would this lead to way to tall and unstable.
also what is too tall too
as for camper i know i want a hard-side i like them best and ill be going to mostly cold climates. with bears and other not so friendly wild life (i know they got collapsible kinda and the clamshell like the Alaskan dont like dont want i would rather not be able to do or go certain places then not have the hard side.
i would like but not need a dry bath but the toilet has to be the flushing kind
i dont need a slide but if i found one light enough it would be a +
and lastly i would take a larger fridge with the freezer attached over a oven

any imput and info would be great
70 REPLIES 70

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Northstar truck campers are exported from the US. They make narrow truck campers built to off road with or ship in a shipping container. Slick operations to say the least.

These days, not that common in Australia,more off road Camper choices available

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar truck campers are exported from the US. They make narrow truck campers built to off road with or ship in a shipping container. Slick operations to say the least.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Scars1989 wrote:
12V Cummins wrote:
Id take a look at northstar as they are non basement so will sit a little lower than most hardwalls. Ive seen a few videos of people off roading with them in Australia. Pretty impressive stuff
what do you mean by non basement

I'm in the minority on this forum when it comes to this mfg. pm me for about 30 reasons why.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still stuck on the Northwoods brochure pix. The one where the Ram 3 series has a front wheel off the ground tells me that there is a LOT of strain/pull on pass side front tie down pulling mightily on the TC frame. I wonder how it fared after this pic? I KNOW that if i did that with my puny little, wooden frame Lance without loosening the tie downs, it would be curtains for my TC. It would be pulled apart. I try never to get in a position to twist my axles up to their limit and will go way out of my way to avoid it.
Just a random thought about the physics of twisting TC frames, tie downs, and truck suspensions.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, agree, Alaskan Campers are NOT for everyone. Not meant to be.
They are very popular among a small segment of the TC crowd, which is itself a small segment of the large RV pie. There are a LOT of the few Alaskan camper owners that LOVE them. A plus is they are custom made to be exactly the unit YOU want - if you buy new.
A better deal is to search out a solid used unit configured close to what you think you want, to see if it is a "fit" for you and your uses. Again, not for everyone. If it is a fit, you can order one exactly like you want new from the factory.
Advice-The Alaskans are wood construction, so be very thorough on a pre-buy inspection.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
woodhog wrote:
Take a look at these...

Hardside, low , off road truck camper

Excellent for travelling in low clearance areas, hard sides, and an excellent camper.. Cassette toilet for remote areas...etc

Absent spending an appreciable amount of money (we were quoted $2K) on top of their already not inconsiderable purchase price, Alaskans don't come with a bathroom nor holding tanks. This makes them non-players in some campsites that require the units to be self-contained.

Their stock shower setup is a dishpan set in the aisle with the sink sprayer as the shower.

Their cabover models also leave the sidewalls open to the elements until someone climbs up there to raise them. Those panels also lay flat on the mattress when the top is lowered so anything on them will run right into your bedding.

We looked at Alaskans HARD when we first started shopping for a TC back in the day but ultimately decided they had too many trade-offs for us.

Our Outfitter had more amenities and while spendy was still cheaper then the Alaskan.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I liked my story better!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Pulled this from the past!
Scars never came back. Wedged his dually between 2 trees, was stuck there for a month. Finally ripped the truck out from under the camper before the snow set in and has never posted again!
Lol

Hey guys I'm back long story..... In the next few days I'm going to go through this form and catch up I'll be in touch but I will say I never did buy anything I had to pay for a lawyer haha

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pulled this from the past!
Scars never came back. Wedged his dually between 2 trees, was stuck there for a month. Finally ripped the truck out from under the camper before the snow set in and has never posted again!
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
SCARS, what did you end up getting? I think I'm downsizing from an Adventurer 89RB to a Lance 825. Its close to 700 lbs lighter, shorter in height, and narrower, but giving up very little in the way of amenities. The most obvious being the generator.

BG

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
That is really awesome that you guys have taken your campers to such remote places.
What else would we do with them? Sit in a campground or my Aunt Alice's driveway? Heck, I could have spent the same money I spent on my Truck and Camper and got a really nice new Motorhome and done just that.

Now get out there and get some dust and dirt on your own Truck Camper! :B

b

One of the reasons I bought my truck camper was so that I can pull my rock crawler while still having a camper to crash in. I try to avoid taking my tow vehicle out to the kind of situations you guys demonstrated here. But I'll be less scared after seeing those pictures!

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Scars1989 wrote:
anutami wrote:
I guess it is do able. here is a page from northwoods brochure for some inspiration it can be done.

Ya that there is exactly what in looking todo

Those pictures are of a rig of a fellow that is on here. He no longer has his AF as now he owns a NL.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Have you thought about converting a DRW chassis to super single?

Yes in not against that my whole idea behind the dually is the extra stability I know it may limit my places I could go but I would also be using this truck for other things I even thought about using spacers and putting two 12.5 in the rear it weird but I've seen it done

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you thought about converting a DRW chassis to super single?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member