cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mexico Springtime Camping

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody been down in New Mexico in the Springtime, March, April, early May? We are going this spring and are considering purchasing the yearly camping permit. We are wondering how crowded the campgrounds are in the spring. We were in Utah last spring and spent most our time camping on BLM lands to avoid the full campgrounds, any info would be helpful.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everybody for all your info. We will be heading down in March and looking forward to checking out all the places you have noted.

Thanks Again
Lovtotrkcp

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Nemo667 wrote:
...Thanks to the OP for posting this question. And thanks to Rickjo for the link. We will be through there in October of next year and will check out City of Rocks.

As my earlier post indicated, weather is a concern in the spring. In October, however, the weather is usually FANTASTIC. In addition, our little corner of SW NM is at high altitude (my house is at 6000'), so summers are not desert temps. We have fewer than 30 days over 90 deg F. And 300 days of sunshine in an average year. Visit and you will not be disappointed almost anytime. Right now, snowbirds come thru on their way to Arizona, just to enjoy the City of Rocks, etc.
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
rickjo wrote:
I live in SW New Mexico. Big difference between North and South in the spring. Surprise snow more likely in the northern part of NM. Yet, we have had snowflakes as late as May 4th. It's not every year, but it can happen, especially with climate change. (wink, wink) Weather is the main worry in our spring.

State Parks are generally uncrowded until school lets out in last week of May. We have stayed in many across the south in the spring. Our worst experience was at Brantley Lake with afternoon winds over 50 mph. Luckily they calmed down after sunset. In fact, winds are most fierce in the spring all over New Mexico. Many warnings for high profile vehicles.

Our state parks are usually at some interesting place. Nearby we have the "City of Rocks" and "Rockhound" parks. You have probably investigated the state park website, but if not, here is a link to the map of the parks:

New Mexico state parks map

Come and enjoy our state.

Rick
Thanks to the OP for posting this question. And thanks to Rickjo for the link. We will be through there in October of this year and will check out City of Rocks.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

fishing2
Explorer
Explorer
We was at TorC in mid March, the campground was not full at all. The weather was good but it snowed just north of there by Mountainair and Willard when we left but it was allready melting.
Injoy NM it is great.
Dennis
2001 Dodge 3500 CTD,1987 34ft Terry Manor and 1990 Lance TC
Ham Radio N9LWE
US Navy veteran VA-65 1965-1969 USS Forrestal and USS Kitty Hawk

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
I also like Rockhound State Park near Deming, NM but City of Rocks State Park which is north of Deming is another good one. I'll be out that way the middle of April on my way out west and will stay at one of those State Parks again.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the last two posters. Southern NM is great in the spring. Almost any of the state parks are great. I like Rockhound (near Deming) and Bottomless Lakes (near Roswell).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Generally south of I-40 and east of I-25 will better earlier in the year due to snow and cold. NM is just colder than say southern TX or AZ.

At Thanksgiving we were at Brantley Lake State Park and its a good one.

We have not experienced any crowds. There are some very good camping spots in NM, its a good place to visit.

Good luck.

Rick

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
I live in SW New Mexico. Big difference between North and South in the spring. Surprise snow more likely in the northern part of NM. Yet, we have had snowflakes as late as May 4th. It's not every year, but it can happen, especially with climate change. (wink, wink) Weather is the main worry in our spring.

State Parks are generally uncrowded until school lets out in last week of May. We have stayed in many across the south in the spring. Our worst experience was at Brantley Lake with afternoon winds over 50 mph. Luckily they calmed down after sunset. In fact, winds are most fierce in the spring all over New Mexico. Many warnings for high profile vehicles.

Our state parks are usually at some interesting place. Nearby we have the "City of Rocks" and "Rockhound" parks. You have probably investigated the state park website, but if not, here is a link to the map of the parks:

New Mexico state parks map

Come and enjoy our state.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went school spring break, sometime in March I guess, about 35 years ago. Thought we would scout elk hunting spots around Chama. Snow was door handle deep.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive