cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Northstar Igloo 9.5

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just picked up our new Northstar Igloo 9.5 from Truck Camper Warehouse today. Took all day to get everything just the way we wanted but we are now ready to hit the road. The F350 handles the Igloo great with just the upper stableloads and Sumo Springs. Had to bring it home in a blinding snow storm - the new Nokian Rotiivas handled the wet slushy snow extremely well. Great baptism for the brandy new camper - now sitting behind the house covered with snow. Will run it over the scales tomorrow but I'm going to guess we are right around 3,000 pounds which will put me right at my GVWR of 11,500. Seems like the Igloo is a perfect fit for the F350. Pictures to follow tomorrow when it is light enough to see.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired
28 REPLIES 28

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim,
Responded to you PM. Feel free to ask away as you continue your search. I'm happy to share whatever I have learned as we go along.

I have to put in another plug for the Nokian AT Plus tires I put on. My Michelins were toast after three years - lots of sidewall cracking. The Nokians ride well, are not real noisy and are rated for 3,750 pounds which gives me 500 pounds for the pair over the Michelins at 3,500 on my 20" wheels. As anyone with 20" wheels knows, tire selections are limited - getting better, but still limited.

Shawn
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

Jimmy775
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting your Northstar camper details, sbryan. The thread is timely and helpful as I've been considering an Igloo for my F350 with same GVWR as yours. The weight details you posted pretty much mirror the calcs I'd done. Challenge now is finding one to look at. Northstar rep (no dealer in my state) says next Igloo build is April so looking to visit factory then.

Going to send PM with a couple additional questions if you don't mind...

Jim
2009 Ford F-350
2009 Lance 915

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm probably pretty close to that with all the stuff added to the truck - tie downs, suspension upgrades, running boards, bed mats, tools under the back seat.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
sbryan@vtbryans.com wrote:
The truck weighs 8,420 with full diesel and DEF. Remove the tailgate for a deduction of about 50-60 pounds if you want but that weight was with the tailgate on.

That puts the weight of the TC at about 3,600 pounds ready to go down the road. Sticker weight on the door was around 2700 and I added solar and that also includes all the tie downs and suspension upgrades as well. That also includes dishes, clothing and other stuff.

One more edit - the truck weight was over the scales right after I bought it - so does not include bed mat, running boards I added, tools under the back seat, or any of the tie downs. So the weight with the camper also includes all that "stuff" that isn't camper weight. My guess on the camper is 2600 dry and 3600 as it sits now.

My F350 DRW weighs in at 9000 on the nose when empty - full tanks, two passengers.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds a bit light Bill but in the ball park. Good job keeping the weight down. I've added a fair bit of weight to mine but it will make it more fun dry camping with the solar and a couple of big batteries.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy HD 3500, SRW Gas with NS Arrow U 10,500# , full water and 3/4 propane and about 1/2 tank of gas. Factoring out the truck, people, stuff etc. the camper is about 2800#s dry.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The F350 diesel is a heavy truck. The diesel adds quite a bit of weight and then all the stuff I've added just swells it more. She's a bit of a fatty but she has been completely trouble free for 3 years and I'm getting 10-12 MPG with the camper, 18 around town without and 21 going down the interstate. That and 400 HP and 800 foot pounds of torque makes me a happy guy.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

kjenckes
Explorer
Explorer
That's awesome thanks. I can't believe how heavy your truck is. I thought 7000 was bad. That does put the camper right where I thought it should be. I appreciate the numbers. Enjoy. Looks like a great rig.
1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The truck weighs 8,420 with full diesel and DEF. Remove the tailgate for a deduction of about 50-60 pounds if you want but that weight was with the tailgate on.

That puts the weight of the TC at about 3,600 pounds ready to go down the road. Sticker weight on the door was around 2700 and I added solar and that also includes all the tie downs and suspension upgrades as well. That also includes dishes, clothing and other stuff.

One more edit - the truck weight was over the scales right after I bought it - so does not include bed mat, running boards I added, tools under the back seat, or any of the tie downs. So the weight with the camper also includes all that "stuff" that isn't camper weight. My guess on the camper is 2600 dry and 3600 as it sits now.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

kjenckes
Explorer
Explorer
I would be interested to know your truck weight with out the camper to see what the Igloo is running. I have a 96 crew cab f250 diesel which I would have thought was roughly the same empty weight as yours but...

Empty I'm at 7080 and loaded with my Northstar 850 I'm 9840. Camper and stuff is 2780. Based on what the stated weights for the Igloo is (2670) plus 1000# for stuff and water the igloo should run at aprox 3700#. That should be roughly 920# more than mine but you are 2300 more.

The reason I ask is I'm looking for a Northstar hard side this winter. Real life weights when possible is better than "Well it's about".

Thanks,

Kevin
1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at Timbrens also, pretty happy with 2 trucks with TC's that I have experience with.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haven't been on any extended trips yet so it may be premature to comment on how well the Sumo Springs work long term but I have driven the rig around our back roads and have about 150-200 miles on the truck since we loaded the TC and I think they are working pretty well. With just the upper stableloads I felt the truck wouldn't have sufficient anti sway control. The 2800 pound Sumo Springs are just touching the bump stops with the camper loaded so as the camper wants to sway the Sumos are already engaged and take up a lot of that tendency very quickly.

I did not drive the truck with the camper without the Sumos so can't comment on handling before and after but I am a believer in more control is better than less and the truck with the camper is right at its front and rear GAWR so I wanted a little extra.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
sbryan@vtbryans.com wrote:
Sumo springs

How do you like your sumo springs? I foolishly let the camper dealer talk me out of them and into airbags. I've been unhappy with the airbags and wishing I would've gotten the sumo springs. Which ones did you get? Did you try the ride with and without sumo springs? If so how much did it change?

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forgot to mention - no water in the tanks because right now it is below freezing and we're not going to be above freezing for some time so add 300 pounds or so so the wet weight. The Thetford is fully loaded with antifreeze. We probably won't run with a full fresh water tank most of the time but should plan for it for those times we might boon dock. I too have thought about 19.5 tires just to bump up the safety margin on the tires.
Shawn
Northstar Igloo 9.5
US Army retired