cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rockwood 2910 TS AC not cooling enough

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new Rockwood 2910 TS with the upgraded 15,000 BTU AC unit (standard was 13,500). On my first trip out it wasn't cooling well and the dealer checked it and replaced the unit.
On my second trip, I went to the coast and the daytime temps were a high of 87 (high humidity). The first day it never got that cold (probably the fact we arrived at 11:00 AM was a factor).
That night it got pretty cool in the trailer. But the next morning by noon, it was getting warm inside.
Put a thermometer on the ducts when opened below AC and the air was coming out about 65. When those were closed so its pushing through the ducts, those temps are just several degrees warmer.
But the temps in the trailer went up to about 80-82. The outside temps, was in the high 80's or close to 90.
I would expect the 29 foot trailer to cool down better that that with the upgraded AC. Can't imagine what will happen in 100 degree summer heat.
Has anyone else seen this with the Rockwoods?
Should it have 2 units for a 29 foot trailer?
It's wired for 30 amp, so a 2nd besides adding some weight to the front would require some rewiring.
Am I expecting too much?
Brad
27 REPLIES 27

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
This camper seems to have found a roof unit that works for him. I looked it up on the internet. It was designed and made in Australia. It looks intriguing. It's sold over here as the Atwood Air Command. Click on the link below for the post

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27854590.cfm

Well known basic air conditioning unit in Australia

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This camper seems to have found a roof unit that works for him. I looked it up on the internet. It was designed and made in Australia. It looks intriguing. It's sold over here as the Atwood Air Command. Click on the link below for the post

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27854590.cfm

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Less than $100 at 4.8 amps/515 watts it works great. Coupled with the 13.5 air it makes a huge difference when temps are knocking on the door of 100 degrees out.

Stand alone without the 13.5 air going it makes about 10 degrees difference on this day when it only got to 89 degrees and run off my Honda 2k.

I only have two windows it fits into, this one and the bedroom escape window which also has a door to escape out of.:B

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
Went out for the first time since my last post where I had problems with it cooling down on the beach at 87 degrees with no shade.

This weekend, I went to the lakes where I had pretty good shade (hit and miss as the sun moved), but the temps were at least 10 degrees hotter (97-99). I also put a portable standing AC in the trailer (8000 or 9000 BTU) and vented it through the rear window.

It stayed cold day and night. Even in the hottest part of the day, the inside temp was about 74 or cooler) and at night it was probably below 70). Not sure what made the most difference, the portable AC or the partial shade. But the fact it was at least 10 degrees warmer give me an indication that I can definitely deal with it.

In fact, my biggest problem became condensation that dripped off some of the vents. The humidity was really high too.
Brad

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
That air conditioner would hit the ground before you could get out.:B

In our case it's not needed because it's much easier just to open the back door than diving out the adjacent window and easier on old bones.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I'd be crazy about filling up the "Escape" window with an A/C.....the key word is escape. If you should have a problem, you've just blocked an escape route. Any other window available???
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
😄

Took it out,set it on the floor.. Super light.. Used a PVC pole I use for my Yagi cell antenna to hold up the escape window up so it wouldn't rub/vibrate on the air conditioner.

Less than $100 bucks, draws 4.8 amps and compliments the factory 13.5 air great for the really got days in an RV and runs off a Honda 2k for those muggy days in the boonies.

Before when it was really hot we had to put the factory air on bypass the ducts to strait down dump with a box fan aimed at wherever we were, especially at night.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
I think part of the problem is all the separated areas your single unit is trying to cool. If you can shut the bunk room and bathroom doors then put your a/c on dump mode into main living area during the day, you may stand a chance. Only use ducted air in pm as things cool down. This is what we do on our similar sized tt, just returned from a hot steamy week in the Ozarks and our 13.5k unit had no problem keeping the trailer a cool 74 on the hottest days. As others have pointed out as well, I always book shady sites in the summer.

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I've tried them and was not impressed, your better off to put your air on dump with a box fan below it pushing the cold air where you want it, like at night towards the bedroom.

As I said, the window 5k unit works great put in the escape window drawing less than 5 amps and completely cooling the back area coupled with the 13.5 kept my trailer comfy in the middle to high 90's (hooked up)and the Honda 2k handled it with ease on stand alone without hookups boondocking.

Putting a window unit in the rear escape window... did you remove it each time, or was there any problem of it staying in the window while the trailer was traveling. After all a normal house isn't hitting bumps.
Brad

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried them and was not impressed, your better off to put your air on dump with a box fan below it pushing the cold air where you want it, like at night towards the bedroom.

As I said, the window 5k unit works great put in the escape window drawing less than 5 amps and completely cooling the back area coupled with the 13.5 kept my trailer comfy in the middle to high 90's (hooked up)and the Honda 2k handled it with ease on stand alone without hookups boondocking.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
So how many have used portable AC's and how well do they work? I'm mainly interested in helping my cooling issue on hot days.
But, Consumer Reports say that portable AC's are inefficient and barely work better than a fan.

Anyone have experience?
Brad

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
portable A/C

You'd have to find a way to vent thru an exterior a exterior window, but this might be a option.

I thought of that as an option.
The spec says it is 8 amps. Not sure if I plug it into a wall plug and the trailer with a 35 amp circuit will work with the other appliances (mainly 15000 btu AC).
Brad

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
portable A/C

You'd have to find a way to vent thru an exterior a exterior window, but this might be a option.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the temps went to solid 90+ we put a 5k window unit in the bedroom. Made a heck of a difference. The only way to fly in a trailer when it is real hot.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04