cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new tow vehicle

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about changing to a newer tow vehicle. Anyone have experience with a late model Ford diesel? I tow a 30' fifth wheel.
Thanks.
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel
26 REPLIES 26

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I would stay with the Ram but it gets really bad reviews from Consumer Reports."

You need to look at the REAL WORLD! The VAST majority of independent RV haulers choose RAM. The cummins is a true MD engine as is the Aisin auto a true MD. They are both used in other MD applications.

The Ford Use the CP4 injection pump, GM has bagged that pump for 2017 as they had so many warranty claims.

You know whats the under hood looks like on a RAM now go pop the hood of the Ford. The West Coast Head Warranty Rep from Chrysler said when asked about the Aisin trans "they don't break".

I tow 33K combined, the truck is rock solid in all weather and road conditions. Factory rear air ride is a great option. Truck has full rear axle weight in pic, rides great and stays nice and level with about 5,800# pin weight.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAM dual radiators was a very short lived thing on one model year. 2013 or 2014?

2015+ has one rad.

If one feels the need for speed AKA a V8, get the one without the CP4-2 injection pump.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
All manufactures have recalls, it is the new supplier business model.

The Duramax is built in Ohio, the Allison 1000 is made in Indiana and Maryland, the Cummins 6.7L is made in Indiana as is the 68RFE transmission. The Powerstroke is made in Mexico.

GM assembles their heavy duties in Michigan, RAM is Mexico, and Ford in Kentucky.

All three are capable pullers offering exceptional creature features.

Why do you guys always engage in a brand battle?

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
I thought the ford 6.7 engine was made in mexico? seriously pretty hard to buy any brand that doesn't contain foreign parts!

As for the Ram getting bad reviews, I wouldn't believe a word from consumer reports unless I was looking for a new toaster! Yes, if you do decide to go with the ram look into getting the upgraded tranny as was mentioned.

No matter which brand, they all have the way too much pollution stuff on board, but I will add I hadn't had any issues with the new system.

Was this the toaster you are referring to?:B
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought the ford 6.7 engine was made in mexico? seriously pretty hard to buy any brand that doesn't contain foreign parts!

As for the Ram getting bad reviews, I wouldn't believe a word from consumer reports unless I was looking for a new toaster! Yes, if you do decide to go with the ram look into getting the upgraded tranny as was mentioned.

No matter which brand, they all have the way too much pollution stuff on board, but I will add I hadn't had any issues with the new system.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Anybody who finds changing the oil or fuel filters out on a current model Cummins challenging probably ought to be paying somebody else to perform all the maintenance on their truck. All three are a piece of cake.

I wouldn't say the oil filter on the 6.7L Cummins is a piece of cake. It's not complicated, but much more of a PITA than it should be. This is one of the few areas my 6.0L was better than my current truck.

Thanks for quoting that Ida guy.... I don't see him much anymore.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I would suggest doing some reading on some Ram/Cummins forums. As much as some people have had some issues, the vast majority of owners of the 4th generation Rams are very satisfied with their trucks. The current Ram is a completely different animal than your current truck; I think you would be surprised! In the past I always felt the Ram was lacking compared to the Ford but that is certainly not the case anymore.

One major point that pushed me to the Ram was the difference in engine complexity. A look under the hood of the Ram vs the Ford is a real eye opener. I plan on keeping my truck for a very long time so long term reliability and repair costs were very important to me.

Good luck on your purchase!

If you look under the hood of the OP 5.9 truck and compare it to your 6.7 truck you would be startled and don't forget that exhaust system on your truck too. There's so many more opportunities for failure on your truck. Good luck with that long term ownership and be sure to budget a new DPF sometime along the way. Most here will not work on their emission compliant diesel so why don't you post what most will do with their diesel truck and that is to service it. I would suggest anyone considering a new ram look what's required to remove an oil filter, or change those fuel filters compared to a GM or Ford diesel.

Fish, you're comparing the 5.9L engine which was discontinued 10 years ago. That would almost be like comparing a 7.3L to the 6.7L Ford. I'm comparing 2 engines that are on the market today.

So a 6.7L Ford owner won't be facing a DPF replacement one day? LOL. I think we're all in the same boat there my friend.

And although the oil filter on the 6.7L Cummins is a PITA I will deal with that any day over a failed CP4 HPFP. I have already sourced an oil filter relocation kit that will go on my truck when the warranty is up. It is common sense that the more complicated the engine the more expensive long term ownership will be. And the Ford 6.7L is a VERY complicated animal.

What components that the 6.7 Powerstroke has that the 6.7 cummins doesn't?

2 separate cooling systems (complete with 2 water pumps) come top of mind. Not to mention the myriad of plastic tubes, hoses, etc. on top of the engine. Let's just say that Ram didn't design the cab of the truck to be removed to access the engine! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ok... An additional water pump (ram has two radiators as well so that's a wash) and some extra hoses. And Ford designed the 6.7 PSD to be repaired with the cab on. Not the "very complicated animal" as you suggested. With 108k miles on my truck with not a single repair to date and knowing my truck is made in the USA by a US company I'll continue to rest good at night.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Anybody who finds changing the oil or fuel filters out on a current model Cummins challenging probably ought to be paying somebody else to perform all the maintenance on their truck. All three are a piece of cake.

I wouldn't say the oil filter on the 6.7L Cummins is a piece of cake. It's not complicated, but much more of a PITA than it should be. This is one of the few areas my 6.0L was better than my current truck.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I would suggest doing some reading on some Ram/Cummins forums. As much as some people have had some issues, the vast majority of owners of the 4th generation Rams are very satisfied with their trucks. The current Ram is a completely different animal than your current truck; I think you would be surprised! In the past I always felt the Ram was lacking compared to the Ford but that is certainly not the case anymore.

One major point that pushed me to the Ram was the difference in engine complexity. A look under the hood of the Ram vs the Ford is a real eye opener. I plan on keeping my truck for a very long time so long term reliability and repair costs were very important to me.

If you look under the hood of the OP 5.9 truck and compare it to your 6.7 truck you would be startled and don't forget that exhaust system on your truck too. There's so many more opportunities for failure on your truck. Good luck with that long term ownership and be sure to budget a new DPF sometime along the way. Most here will not work on their emission compliant diesel so why don't you post what most will do with their diesel truck and that is to service it. I would suggest anyone considering a new ram look what's required to remove an oil filter, or change those fuel filters compared to a GM or Ford diesel.

Fish, you're comparing the 5.9L engine which was discontinued 10 years ago. That would almost be like comparing a 7.3L to the 6.7L Ford. I'm comparing 2 engines that are on the market today.

So a 6.7L Ford owner won't be facing a DPF replacement one day? LOL. I think we're all in the same boat there my friend.

And although the oil filter on the 6.7L Cummins is a PITA I will deal with that any day over a failed CP4 HPFP. I have already sourced an oil filter relocation kit that will go on my truck when the warranty is up. It is common sense that the more complicated the engine the more expensive long term ownership will be. And the Ford 6.7L is a VERY complicated animal.

2 separate cooling systems (complete with 2 water pumps) come top of mind. Not to mention the myriad of plastic tubes, hoses, etc. on top of the engine. Let's just say that Ram didn't design the cab of the truck to be removed to access the engine! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Ram is available with an entirely different transmission, the Aisin, which is used in medium-duty trucks. If you buy a newer Ram, get that. Don't buy one without that.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.