cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trailer any advice will help

Carhlr
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forum I just bought a 2013 Shadow Cruiser S314TSB 6600lbs dry, I have a 2010 1500 Silverado 4x4 5.3 crew cab with the Heavy Duty tow package. The Trailer is new the dealer is throwing in a WD hitch with sway control. I called the dealer where I bought the truck they looked at my build sheet and said the truck was rated at 9500lbsand it shouldn't be a problem. SO I shouldn't have any problems I Hope. This is our 2nd TT and a different tow vehicle. I had sway problems with our Forest river TT and older 1500 crew cab that TT was 6900 dry. DID I buy to much TT for my truck? Any advice would be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just bought the Shadow Cruiser (313bhs) from a dealer in Wisconsin as well. Hope you guys enjoy it.

As others have stated, you will find that you run out of payload quicker than anything else. When I had my 2010 F150, I had to be very cautious about what I loaded in the front compartment and in the bed of the truck. I found that going to the scales gave me great peace of mind.
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x 6 speed manual. (Future TOAD?)
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS (Sold)

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Carhlr wrote:
Trucks payload is 1873lbs rear axle is 3:42 tongue weight of TT is 640lbs me wife and 3 kids I looked around I think I'll be right at the limit maybe just under.

No way you have 1800 pounds of payload. Check driver's door for this sticker for as equipped payload. I expect it will be about 1400 pounds.

That will be 8000 pounds with 900 pounds of TW when loaded up for a long weekend of camping. I see a new truck in your future.

Use Tow/Haul mode and M5, maybe M4. Get an Equal-i-zer brand 4-pt or Reese Strait Line WDH, not the friction sway standard WDH.

1800 does sound accurate. We are looking at the same model TV for that exact reason. There are several 1/2 tons out there with 1700-1900 payloads.

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi...Maybe we are on the cautious side, but we have a travel trailer 23 ft (total length) weighing 4200 lbs. The tow vehicle is a 2013,1500 4 x 4 GMC with the towing package, rated around 9,000. This truck still does have the umph or torque that my husband would like on the interstate. I don't know if a 250/2500 would be much better. Even with the sway control, there was too much sway to suit him. Soooo, after talking with someone who was more experienced in towing, convinced my husband to buy a Hensley Arrow hitch. OMG! What a difference. There is absolutely no sway, even towing in the 30-40 mph winds off from a lake shore road.
I am bracing myself, as I think there is going to be a diesel truck in the near future with a larger 5th wheel.

I hope you don't have any problems towing, and think that the salespeople only look at the tow rating without considering other factors, as: distance, terrain, speed, wind, etc. If you do have problems, I would consider trading for a diesel or buying a Hensley hitch. Good luck!
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
The new model 2014 have much higher payload ratings. 1700-1800lbs sounds right to me.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Carhlr wrote:
Trucks payload is 1873lbs rear axle is 3:42 tongue weight of TT is 640lbs me wife and 3 kids I looked around I think I'll be right at the limit maybe just under.

No way you have 1800 pounds of payload. Check driver's door for this sticker for as equipped payload. I expect it will be about 1400 pounds.

That will be 8000 pounds with 900 pounds of TW when loaded up for a long weekend of camping. I see a new truck in your future.

Use Tow/Haul mode and M5, maybe M4. Get an Equal-i-zer brand 4-pt or Reese Strait Line WDH, not the friction sway standard WDH.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on trying to get the best hitch. Equal-i-zer or Reese. Otherwise you may not know what you are getting. Also get an electric tongue jack. It will make hooking and unhooking the hitch infinitely easier. You should be fine on the weights.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, congrats. Towed a similar trailer for 3 years with a 150. Payload was 1700 so it was close but worked, towed nice. As others said, keep the truck bed as empty as you can and all should be good.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
81SHOVELHEAD wrote:
Carhlr wrote:
Trucks payload is 1873lbs rear axle is 3:42 tongue weight of TT is 640lbs me wife and 3 kids I looked around I think I'll be right at the limit maybe just under. I drive semi for a living so pulling a Trailer isn't new just wanted to make sure I had enough truck it has trans cooler, oil cooler, tow haul mode manual push button shift if needed I guess ill find out we pick up the new TT in 2 weeks. my main concern was from tongue to end is 35 feet I see the dreaded TT sway on the highway all to often when im passing one. I hope this set up will NOT have the sway

Ask your dealer if he will up grade the WD hitch to an equalizer 4 point hitch
I did on my 2014 Cougar 28 RLS (31 FT 7500 loaded weight) & we have zero sway issues
Mike D

x2 or a Reese dual cam. Also some heavy duty tires will help a lot too. Get some load range D or E.
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

81SHOVELHEAD
Explorer
Explorer
Carhlr wrote:
Trucks payload is 1873lbs rear axle is 3:42 tongue weight of TT is 640lbs me wife and 3 kids I looked around I think I'll be right at the limit maybe just under. I drive semi for a living so pulling a Trailer isn't new just wanted to make sure I had enough truck it has trans cooler, oil cooler, tow haul mode manual push button shift if needed I guess ill find out we pick up the new TT in 2 weeks. my main concern was from tongue to end is 35 feet I see the dreaded TT sway on the highway all to often when im passing one. I hope this set up will NOT have the sway

Ask your dealer if he will up grade the WD hitch to an equalizer 4 point hitch
I did on my 2014 Cougar 28 RLS (31 FT 7500 loaded weight) & we have zero sway issues
Mike D

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Carhlr wrote:

You should be ok. Just pack as light as possible and don't carry fresh water if possible. Also load all you can into the trailer and not the bed of the truck.
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Carhlr
Explorer
Explorer

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You have to look in the Owners manual for the proper MCGVWR which should be 22000 lb for a 4wd 2500 HD. Put some Airride Arbags on the rear and inflate to about 30-35 lb under load and you'll get a better ride. I haul a Arctic Fox 31 ft around at 19 or a little more gross and with fresh water tanks full. I just hammer on it.

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be fine with that trailer. I have a similar setup. I have a 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z-71 with the 6 speed trans. Guessing that is also what you have because the max tow weight is the exact same. With that being said the 9500# towing max is almost useless on a 1/2 ton. You will max out tongue weight long before. I have a 2013 Dutchmen 265BHS that was weighed at the camper dealer with 2-30# propane bottles and a battery. Tongue weight was already 925#. I will likely be right at or a little over my GVWR but still under the gross rear axle rating when loaded. My fresh water tank is right over the trailer axles but I almost never haul water. My trailers build sheet with awning, ac, and all that other stuff already on the trailer was weighed at 6351#. Again I know I will be pushing the limits and you likely will too but take your time, watch your speed, and keep up with truck maintenance. We are probably looking for a 3/4 ton for the next vehicle but I know this 1/2 ton can do it for the handful of times a year we will use it.

Now I am not condoning at all towing beyond the trucks stated ratings but I certainly don't think that only guys with 1/2 tons do it. More than like guys with 3/4 and 1 tons may do it more just because the 1/2 ton crowd may be more self conscience about the trucks limits. Getting into 5ers I could see going over payload ratings would happen a lot quicker.

Anyway you will be fine just use your head and tow at speeds you are comfortable with. Get a good WDH and sway control. Those will help a ton. I have 1200# bars on mine. The hitch will help move some tongue weight to the front axle of the truck and the trailer axles. Also watch how you load the trailer and keep the heavy stuff over the trailer axles or further back.

I have only towed mine home but it was in 20-25 mph winds and I had no sway. Of course I could feel the wind trying to push the side of the rig but I bet bigger trucks aren't totally immune from that.

Happy Camping

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a nice setup you have. I am hoping to upgrade mine in the coming years, also.

I have learned so much on these forums over the past few years since I got myself back on my feet and started towing again. I came in with the 90s mentality. First thing I learned is never go with dry weight of the trailer, go with the GVW. Your final weight, with a few exceptions, will be closer to that number. Your hitch weight will be 10 to 15 percent of that.

Some good information can be found here.
www.learntorv.com

As far as your setup, who am I to judge. Just be safe and enjoy it. Happy Camping.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized