cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Travel trailer

Mtwolfer
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new Cougar 32BHS travel trailer, they say "half ton tow able" is that true?, it says 34' .I have a 3/4 ton chevy duramax, will that do? Dry weight about 7000lbs., my owners manual for the truck says up to 12,000lbs towing . I'm in Montana sooo High winds and tall mountains.
14 REPLIES 14

johned
Explorer
Explorer
No offense to anyone intended, but I get these "what can I tow" questions answered before I buy a trailer or a truck. The information is out there. Coming here gets lots of opinions and arithmetic gyrations.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mtwolfer wrote:
I just purchased a new Cougar 32BHS travel trailer, they say "half ton tow able" is that true?, it says 34' .I have a 3/4 ton chevy duramax, will that do? Dry weight about 7000lbs., my owners manual for the truck says up to 12,000lbs towing . I'm in Montana sooo High winds and tall mountains.

Your 2500 Dmax/A is a great tow vehicle for that size TT (8000-9000 lbs).

And yes there are 1/2 ton trucks out here that would also tow that size TT just fine.
Most rv folks tend to lump all 1/2 ton trucks as the same size which in fact our 1/2 ton trucks have had greater range of gvwr/gawrs than any of the other LDT size pickups.
The last 20 years or so 1/2 ton trucks have had gvwrs ranging from 6400 lbs up to 8600 lbs . But more importantly rear axle (rawr) from 3200 lbs up to 6000 lbs. All depending on brand and year model pickups trucks. So sure....choose the right 1/2 ton truck for a 9000 lb TT and enjoy the ride. Choose the wrong size 1/2 ton truck and its not gonna' match.
Enjoy the 2500/diesel combo.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I am lost as to why we are debating half ton towable if the OP has a 3/4 ton? My previous truck ( 07 150 w/HD payload pkg) was within weights just barely, but my tongue weight was 1100 lbs on my 8000 lb trailer. My OEM receiver wasn't up to the job @ 930 lbs WD rating. I had to upgrade to a Reese unit rated at 1200 lbs because the OEM started cracking in the bottom of the pin box. Another thing to look at when half ton towing.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Mtwolfer wrote:
I just purchased a new Cougar 32BHS travel trailer, they say "half ton tow able" is that true?

Yes it's true they say that.
๐Ÿ˜‰
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
naturist wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
naturist wrote:
... And don't forget about a full tank of go-juice at 7.4 lbs per gallon...
Just to set the record straight, the payload weight on the sticker on your truck already includes a full tank of fuel.

That's not the way I heard it. Since the weight of fuel changes as you drive, I have always heard it was not included. I guess it is time for a deep dive on the issue.

No, itโ€™s not. Itโ€™s not that intersting or beneficial to anyone except those that sit around wringing their hands over gvws and payloads as if a few lbs or even a few hundred lbs makes an iota of difference.
But fwiw curb weight is ready to roll, full of fluids, all of them. And generally payloads are considering at least a driver and some consider all seats full of hypothetical 150lb passengers.

And it absolutely doesnโ€™t matter with that trailer and a 3/4 ton of any flavor.
The Duramax is just a bonus in the equation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
wing_zealot wrote:
naturist wrote:
Just to set the record straight, the payload weight on the sticker on your truck already includes a full tank of fuel.

That's not the way I heard it. Since the weight of fuel changes as you drive, I have always heard it was not included. I guess it is time for a deep dive on the issue

EDIT: It seems 'twas I who was wrong, @wing_zealot was right. I stand by the calculations and conclusions otherwise.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new RV! Your 3/4 ton will be great and comfortable. Half tons - that gets complicated as travel trailers tend to tow the worst with related to weight of any other trailer type. So 8500 pound flat bed or car hauler - maybe okay for the most capable half tons. 8500 pound TT - I will say that very few reports of half ton owners towing that weight range are "comfortable". As mentioned above, the key are is payload and rear axle ratings.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1/2 ton trucks can often pull the load. It's payload where 1/2 ton trucks typically fail.

If you get a "unicorn" 2500lb payload 1/2 ton, yes, you likely have enough tow rating and enough payload rating.

Your average 1/2 ton truck is somewhere in the vicinity of 1500-1700lb payload and that get's pretty marginal.

Some 1/2 ton trucks have truly pathetic payloads (under 1000lb) and no question they will be over their ratings.

7000lb empty will likely be up around 9000lb full with a hitch weight of around 1200lb. Add in say 500lb for a family of 4 plus cooler, firewood, etc... in the truck bed and you are very quickly going to be asking the truck to carry (ie: payload) 2000lb or more.

So assuming you want to stay within the manufacture ratings, it's unlikely to be half ton towable unless you camp by yourself and take nothing in the truck or trailer.

3/4 ton trucks on the other hand start around 2200-2500lb payload (check the door jamb to see what your payload is). Odds are you are fine with a 3/4 ton.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mtwolfer wrote:
I just purchased a new Cougar 32BHS travel trailer... .I have a 3/4 ton chevy duramax, will that do? Dry weight about 7000lbs.,.

YEP! a 2500 Duramax will be an awesome tow rig for that trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your 3/4 ton Duramax should be fine pulling that. That is what it was designed for - that and more.

Mtwolfer
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Is it a 30BHS? Only 32BHS I see is a fifth wheel.
its a 30BHS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Is it a 30BHS? Only 32BHS I see is a fifth wheel.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Half ton towable, maybe. Depends on the truck. What usually gets people is neither the trailer dry weight/loaded weight/vehicle tow weight, it's truck payload.

For example, your trailer dry weight is 7,000 lbs, but loaded it'll will be heavier, perhaps 9000 lbs or so. For stability, most trailers put 10% to 13% of the weight on the tongue, so that 9000lbs translates to 900-1170 lbs tongue weight. Great, you say, your half-ton payload is 1600 lbs (varies from truck to truck, btw), so you are golden. Not so fast, bunkie, what do YOU weigh? Your wife? The kids? what about the generator and bikes you threw in the truck bed??? And don't forget about a full tank of go-juice at 7.4 lbs per gallon.

With only 700 lbs (or maybe only 530 lbs) left for all those people and fuel and stuff, you might easily be overweight on that payload. (Lessee, 225 for me, 145 for wife, 22 gallons at 163, two e-bikes at 55@ for a total of 643 lbs . . . .

For YOU, @Mtwolfer, your 3/4 ton truck is probably fine. Your brother-in-law's 1/2 ton, maybe not.