cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck or New Engine

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?
54 REPLIES 54

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Great trip down memory lane....back to your regularly scheduled program. Not you jimh, your post was spot on. Hereโ€™s my take
So OP, have over 300k on a truck that is presumably also as well maintained as it is rust free. Runs well except a bit tired.
If thatโ€™s the case, nice job on getting your moneyโ€™s worth out of the truck.
But think about it this way. The thing that leaves you on the side of the road at midnight in the middl of no where as you put it, is not catastrophic engine failure. Itโ€™s about 95% likely itโ€™s something else. Either something that also should be wore out by now, something that has had some symptoms but was โ€œstill fineโ€, or something newer or old that randomly stops working. Could be a $25 20 minute fix or a $2500 fix.
Regardless of new engine, all these other things could happen.
So if your reasoning is youโ€™re keeping the truck and not worried about other stuff then a new long block is maybe a sound decision. But mostly only if youโ€™re doing the work yourself.
If you have the work done, itโ€™ll cost more than the truck is worth plus youโ€™ll get nickel and dimed for a bunch of other stuff.
Bottom line, drive the truck until youโ€™re done with the whole truck and donโ€™t fix what ainโ€™t broke. Itโ€™s throwing good money after bad.
If youโ€™re considering the cost of outfitting a new truck as well, find another low mile 3rd or early 4th gen gasser that your camper stuff fits on.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve thought about this a bit. I have a 2006 Ford โ€œExploderโ€. Thatโ€™s just a nickname from other people. Weโ€™ve had good luck with it. Itโ€™s not my only vehicle, but weโ€™ve put almost 100K on it and bought it with 100K on it. Itโ€™s mostly highway miles. I had time to search and bought it for 11,500 several years ago. Yes, I could have bought a new one. By now, I would have lost around 30K on that purchase if I had bought new.

If you are hard on vehicles, I think you should avoid long term ownership. We arenโ€™t. We did have one annoying problem lately. It kept blowing horn fuses. It was about $25 for the parts and a few hours for me to take fender well apart.. I bought brakes online and had a local shop do front and rear at the same time. That was $400. Weโ€™ve had to replace the bolts/exhaust manifolds that was about 1000, but that happens on pretty new vehicles.

The body is still in great shape. The drive train is in great shape. It doesnโ€™t use oil. My old mechanic said he had several of the same engines in Limos that went to over 500K miles.

My point is it depends. It is work to find a โ€œgreatโ€ deal of a one/two owner, but possible. Itโ€™s also possible to run an older vehicle for years with pennies compared to dollars. Whatever makes you happy since you will be paying for it ... not me. If you like the old vehicle and everything seems to work pretty well I donโ€™t see a problem with replacing the engine once it is worn out. However, very few motors are completely destroyed inside, so maybe some TLC by a good mechanic could save some money.

Have fun.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Another used f150 same price as a new/rebuilt trans, but the used truck will also have a used trans that is a lot closer to going bad than a new or rebuilt trans. Might be safer to get a new trans in your old truck as you know what issues your truck has not related to the trans. If you will be using TC then a strong trans will be more important than just for a DD.

If it is motor issues then you still have to think about the trans in your current truck (if trans is good and just motor is bad) which will go bad eventually.
If you tow or Tc or RV then blowing up transmissions is just a risk of the game, so plan for it.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
we did it on a work vehicle. had 300k on the motor. choice was 3500 for a new engine or buy a another vehicle. we chose the new motor which now has 130,000 miles on it. That allowed us to buy another new work vehicle a few months down the line.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:

I am old enough to remember the times where you could send engine block for honing, get new, bigger pistons and rings, then send the heads for valve repolishing.
But the engine repair shop I remember from over 10 years ago was converted to ... Pet Hotel.
The trade seems to vanish.

Yes, I remember when a car/pickup got close to 100,000 miles we would look at all the front end parts, and rust on the body. If good, pull and rebuild engine. Or if thought rest of car was good for another 50,000 shop for used motor with less than 50 on it. But now, with the engine life over 200,000 much fewer rebuilds.
Also, back then it was much cheaper to rebuild/replace the transmission. AC died? Open the window.
In late 2004 when I faced this issue with '85 F150 that had been in the family from new, I called BIL that owned a transmission shop with good rep. Rebuilds on that are running about same as the long block.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you spend the money and buy a diesel you don't have to this conversation.

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie - why, because a better warranty?
time2roll - but, I do not want to get stuck in the boonies at 9:00pm - and 320,000 miles is a lot, no?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would give the old dog a bit more patience and let it run as is. Start putting away $500+ a month toward a newer truck. You should be able to pick up a 2022 model in 2026 for a decent price and have a good down payment by then.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d only do it if it was a crate motor.

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
Always the issue of when to stop repairs - yep.
Does not appear to be burning oil and the mileage never was very good, but, probably 1-2 mpg. worse now. If rebuild, heater core and performance upgrades could certainly be on the table. kohldad - we have a 2005 Lance 815 and I am coveting your 6.4 Hemi.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recall our youtube member replacing engine on his truck lately.
Crated rebuilds seem to be the best deal. ... if you like your present truck.
I am old enough to remember the times where you could send engine block for honing, get new, bigger pistons and rings, then send the heads for valve repolishing.
But the engine repair shop I remember from over 10 years ago was converted to ... Pet Hotel.
The trade seems to vanish.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Haven't in years but my father and I use to rebuild the old 69 Dodge 318 a number of times, mostly just the heads and exhaust valves.

Is it burning oil? Fuel mileage decreased recently? If not, odds are it is still going strong and doesn't need rebuilding. If so and it was my truck, I would probably tear the engine down for a top to bottom rebuild either myself or a trusted mechanic that routinely rebuilds engines. You may also want to discuss any upgrades for the engine that can increase performance while not increasing the wear and tear on the engine. While you have the engine out causing the AC to be discharged, I would also replace the heater core along with updating the heating unit doors with metal ones to ensure that isn't the next thing to go wrong.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look a little different. By the time most gas engines are wore out, the rest of the pickup may be getting tired.
My last PU, a exhaust manifold broke. Could buy, but been on for 20 years, likely bolt would break. To get it out, pull head. Would a 302 with 250,000 miles be worth putting head back on? So I checked price of new engine options. Could go that way, but before I placed the order I thought about transmission. If I bought the engine I would be married to the pickup. Anything else goes wrong would have to fix.
Now, IMHO the only reason to consider a diesel powered pickup, with the extra long life, is if the manufacture would sell you another truck at a big discount, 15-20 years later, that would fit the engine.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
7.3 diesel keep chugging.
One of these days I will update the trans to new torque converter and beefed up parts.

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. For now, I was just curious if anyone had gone this route and I picked the TC Forum to ask the question as we put a significant 'load' on our trucks.

I understand the issues of repair/remanufactured/new in crate/rebuild vs other truck parts will still be old, etc.
and I have just started researching prices - I also know the relatively high cost of new trucks.
Am also perusing the RAM forums.

But, your responses have cut me to the quick, so ...
2005 RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi 320,000 miles no rust (no winters), few repairs over the years, still runs great although not as strong in the mountains, most miles with TC on maybe 35% hauling a 3000# trailer as well.

I was considering having a trusted mechanic evaluate and price a repair, rebuild, overhaul, crate engine, remanufactured engine, etc. - a 'relatively' cheap 'fix' would likely render the question moot.
And yes, this is definitely new truck price cost driven - but no, resale is not an issue.