cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck or New Engine

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?
54 REPLIES 54

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
What about getting one from a junkyard? Lots of vehicles go because of body damage but a perfectly functional and low mile drive train.

If you like the truck and it wouldn't be too much of a PITA, you could look to swap out for a 6.4

Back in the day replacing a engine with newer or bigger was a piece of chicken. Now, with all the electronics might be smart to buy the complete wreck to be sure you have all the parts.

I did not replace mine I rebuilt it from the cam up. It is a 1996 Vortec so its 25 years old. We think the cam was warped but nothing we did diagnosed the problem so me and dad just went ahead and rebuilt it. The motor itself is all mechanics very technical mechanics but still mechanics. "Moving parts" Everything we took of the top of the motor was technical. Something newer I would agree that a more modern mechanic with the know how of all that stuff would have better luck. But I agree in the end if you like the truck it would be simply be penny's on the dollar from buying new. Also like in my earlier post depending on what you want it would come completely assembled and all you'd do is switch em out... JMHO

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:

Back in the day replacing a engine with newer or bigger was a piece of chicken. Now, with all the electronics might be smart to buy the complete wreck to be sure you have all the parts.

That when you change to different engine.
When you are replacing the same short block and transfer all original modules, it is the same thing it was 30 years ago (with more wires).
That also avoids SCN coding newer vehicles require.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
patperry2766 wrote:
What about getting one from a junkyard? Lots of vehicles go because of body damage but a perfectly functional and low mile drive train.

If you like the truck and it wouldn't be too much of a PITA, you could look to swap out for a 6.4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thats a good idea, but IMO unless one is adept and doing the work themselves, junkyard engines are a considerable risk that youโ€™ll be pulling it again soon.
Sure the junkyard will warranty it for a bit, but the second R&R begins to make it not so good of a deal.
Now a 6.4 would be kick @ss, but not as easy as it sounds with the ECM and other systems. Idk if everything bolts up either or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IMO, it boils down to first, your finances. You mentioned the option of new or low mile used, so presumably you can afford to upgrade. Then it becomes a matter of the โ€œwantโ€ for a new or much newer truck and the power and conveniences afforded by something 10-15 years newer. And the peace of mind that (while anything โ€œcanโ€ breakdown) repairs and breakdowns will be of much less of a concern.

Next is the use. Are you looking for something to get you through the short term or will you realistically be doing the same thing for another 300k miles?

3rd gen Dodges are pretty solid trucks IMO. Had an 07 since 2008, until just recently and I didnโ€™t โ€œwantโ€ for anything. However the 2016 that replaced it has definite advantages.
If talking just gasser pickups, I donโ€™t see any downsides to a newer truck from any of the big 3.

Cost for the 05?
Mopar crate long block $3500-4000
Install $1500 ish
How old is the trans? Nother $1000-1500
Front end/steering?
320k rear axle? Questionable
Engine components
Other stuff (fan radiator window switches shocks brakes etc)

Make an educated decision on how much other stuff is likely to need repair in say the next 100k. With your miles should have a good idea of the lifespan of the trucks components and what has been replaced when and how long it lasted the first or second time.
Add all that up plus the residual value of your 05 which will be better than most in your area due to no rust.
Then decide how much more a new truck costs vs what you could expect to sink into yours.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I would replace the motor as I have done in my Chevy. Waaaaaaaayyyyyyy less money.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/crate-engines/make/chevrolet/engine-size/7-4l-454

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
klyross wrote:
Figured to get some good advice here, but I was wrong -
it is MUCH better than that! I have reread the comments
a number of times and am still processing the info.

One thing I will still do, is get a professional 'complete physical'
of the truck from a respected mechanic. Also, all options are still
on the table.

Thanks again.

Exactly right IMO. Ya gotta remember that there are 320,000 miles on every nut and bolt in the truck. How much more will you have to spend?

If you just have to run it for a short time before buying something else, maybe check out the local auto wreckers for an engine/tranny with a few less miles on it. Lots of ways to go here--just another option.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad oil filters are definitely death to many newer diesel designs. I started specifying Motorcraft when I have someone else change my oil after skipping a time or two changing oil, and seeing that I had been running a โ€œnot so goodโ€ brand the next time I changed it myself. It seems some mechanics definitely donโ€™t care.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will chime in and make this quick. My 2nd Gen Dodge Dually diesel melted down #6 piston at 53k miles because of using after market oil filters.(clogged the oil nozzle at the end of the oil galley) If you ever rebuild...never use anything but the Fleetguard filters. I got lucky. I was able to do a full on rebuild top to bottom for under 4000, I do all my work. Depending on your situation, look at the price of new trucks. A rebuild is way more an option these days as long as you want to go through the process. Doing an engine is a major project but so is a clutch If you have a manual. Don't chump out. If you have it change it out...regardless. Breaking it apart again is not what you want to do a year later.

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
Figured to get some good advice here, but I was wrong -
it is MUCH better than that! I have reread the comments
a number of times and am still processing the info.

One thing I will still do, is get a professional 'complete physical'
of the truck from a respected mechanic. Also, all options are still
on the table.

Thanks again.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
klyross wrote:
time2roll - but, I do not want to get stuck in the boonies at 9:00pm - and 320,000 miles is a lot, no?
ANY vehicle can get you stuck at any time. Even a brand new truck.

If it has been reliable, I would trust it another 100,000. Worst case you just leave it and use the money you saved to replace it while on the road.

Easy for me to say. I only have 200,000 on mine but I would still take mine anywhere.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When new/rebuilt engine is straightforward decision money wise, there is much more to truck than engine.
New truck will give you nicer interior, GPS with live traffic, radars for blind spots, better fuel economy, bluetooth integration and hundreds other things you might choose.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
klyross wrote:
So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?

Definitely rebuild...Short blocks and even long blocks are inexpensive compared...As far as the older engines go,check out the net which is full of 300K 460 and 454 engines that were taken care of and not mistreated....

My vote goes to rebuilt engines and transmissions over a newer used truck that could have its own issues...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Haven't in years but my father and I use to rebuild the old 69 Dodge 318 a number of times, mostly just the heads and exhaust valves.

Is it burning oil? Fuel mileage decreased recently? If not, odds are it is still going strong and doesn't need rebuilding. If so and it was my truck, I would probably tear the engine down for a top to bottom rebuild either myself or a trusted mechanic that routinely rebuilds engines. You may also want to discuss any upgrades for the engine that can increase performance while not increasing the wear and tear on the engine. While you have the engine out causing the AC to be discharged, I would also replace the heater core along with updating the heating unit doors with metal ones to ensure that isn't the next thing to go wrong.
I have done a lot of motor swaps without discharging the AC.... In fact I have never discharged an AC for that reason... Just tie it up out of the way.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW