cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck or New Engine

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?
54 REPLIES 54

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
klyross wrote:
So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?

And to quote a local radio show....
โ€œRandom, random, random, random....โ€

Bonus points for anyone who can identify the station and radio show! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
What truck & engine do you have; some year engines are problematic....

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
With modern engines being so reliable, I think it's really become the outlier unless there is something special going on.

Back when 100k out of an engine was doing good, you often had a relatively new truck in good condition but the engine was shot. It made a lot of sense to rebuild/replace the motor...and it happened fairly regularly.

Now it's normal to get 200-250k miles out of motor (and most go to the junkyard with the engine still running) but that usually translates to 15-20yrs old, so bodies are rusted out, suspensions are worn out and the interior is faded and shabby, so it's a lot of money to have an old truck that's not worth much.

So is there something special about this truck to help justify the substantial cost to have an old truck?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Crate motors from the manufacturer can be around the same price, but come with with full warrantees and are all new. Much less labor involved so the cost evens out.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
Its not my Truck Camper truck, but is my daily driver.
Ive got a 1997 f 150, that is in pretty good shape and is comfortable for me. The transmission went out and to replace it would cost just about as much as a 1997 f 150 would cost on Craigslist. To buy a new f150 is plenty of money. After taking plenty of time to think it through, for me spending the money for a new transmission was the right decision. Every thing cost about the same as a few new car payments and I am very comfortable with my old f 150. It was the right decision for me.
There is so many factors in making that kind of decision, it comes down to what is right for you.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
there was a thread here about a year ago where someone broke down on road, got it towed home and put a new motor in truck. depends on what you got.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
klyross wrote:

Well a little more information on the truck would help.
Is the body and frame in good condition?

Is this something you will need to have others do, which will raise the cost.

It is your money and will need to weigh the return on investment.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Donโ€™t know of anyone rebuilding.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I havenโ€™t heard of anyone, but I donโ€™t think itโ€™s very specific to TCs. I think Iโ€™d go visit the brand specific truck sites to learn more about your engine and fixing/replacing it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would depend on how many miles are on your truck and how much its been modified for hauling a camper.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.