cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not a big enough trailer

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our dilemma, we bought a new 2009 31red heartland north trail a few years ago, with a loan. (So we still owe). We like most things about the trailer. But due to a slow leak the floor in the family living area became soft and will be getting replaced after the camping season is over. The floor plan use to be sufficient for my family, but it seems we always take extra kids and that makes it miserable for my husband and I come morning time. I just want to sit down and drink a cup of coffee, but there are literally bodies everywhere. Not to mention, the takedown and set up they have to do just to lay down.

We have a 19yo daughter, that goes with us when her work and school allow her time, and our 12 yo boy that would take his whole entourage if we allowed,lol. He usually has at least 1 friend, and our 2 nieces his age are usually along.

Trading up on a bunkhouse is not an option due to the damage. So we have tossed around the idea of taking the master bedroom and converting it to a bunk room. We are not afraid of diy, we have built houses, and extensive high end remodels. My question is for the "very knowledgeable on all things RV related forum members" are we crazy to think this is acceptable? And if it is acceptable, will moving the kids to the hitch end help to eliminate some of the added wiggle we experience at night during sleeping hours.

Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
49 REPLIES 49

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Sondy132001 wrote:
I don't do tents, neither do my kids, and I don't think 19-20 years old is a KID, that's an adult and I don't know any adults who really want a tent. I'd do to your trailer what you want and the back of the truck with a camper shell and mattress would be good too, especially if still connected to the trailer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reading these replies just make me cringe, so judgmental and not even suggestions just a bunch of grumpy people sheesh.
Whats wrong with a tent? Tent camped almost my whole life as with most on this forum. Thats just a stupid statement. And I dont know where your at but from what I see, theres 40yr.olds that I would call kids!
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to say it, but leave the extra kids home, or bring fewer...
Nothing makes a camping trip worse than dealing with other people's kids. Sure, your kids have more fun when their friends are around, but you go camping to spend time together, don't you? One extra kid once and a while is fine, but a bunch? Not my cup of tea.

JMHO
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you have something's to think about, hope something works out for you. We have an outside kitchen so it is easy for us to do coffee outside. It is nice though if you can figure out a way.

As for state parks, we don't camp in any as in New England as most don't have full hookups and that is what we like. We have noticed though most campgrounds have been very quiet this year.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and yes the kids do all the set up-tear down work.

Our trip was to an Indiana state park very near Indianapolis. We have stayed here before and enjoy the state parks for the swimming pools, long days hiking, sight seeing, and geo-caching with the kids. We will keep going. I just was wondering about others experiences.

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
These are all great responses. I can see how a floor plan configuration can hinder resale. We will probably fix the problems and not change the floor plan. I appreciate all the advice and helpful ideas, and added humor.

It's true my kids will always be considered children no matter what age, and they will never be tent kids. The 19 yo daughter packs like a Kardashian for a 2 night trip, but if it means she will go, then hey! I'll find room, for all her necessities.

Setting up a make shift outdoor "coffee bar", possibly a camper shell for the truck, and just stepping over bodies doesn't sound so bad, after someone mentioned how short lived these times could be.

It's all about the memories!!

cw2006
Explorer
Explorer
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:

Trading up on a bunkhouse is not an option due to the damage. So we have tossed around the idea of taking the master bedroom and converting it to a bunk room. We are not afraid of diy, we have built houses, and extensive high end remodels. My question is for the "very knowledgeable on all things RV related forum members" are we crazy to think this is acceptable?

Friend of a friend ended up pulling the sofa and putting in a triple bunk. Only needed it for about 3 years and then just put the sofa back in. Worked out well for them, and much less work/impact than a remodel of the master.

Plus, you get to keep the master (and it's door).

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is easy to back yourself in the corner. When the DW and I bought our TT we realized the floor plan was just for US.

So, I kept our PUP and on those few occasions when we can get the tribe together,(herding cats is easier), it works okay. The grandkids will often tent it just to escape the snoring. I will admit when we all sleeping inside; the PUP it looks like a nest of Gerbils.

The window in time when the family can all get together is rather short. So base your actions according.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Sondy132001 wrote:

me lighten up ? obviously you haven't read all the posts here.

It's an Internet forum for goodness sake. Far more important issues to get worked up over than opinions from people you've never met. Your opinions aren't any more right than mine are. Just different perspectives.

And yes, I have read all the posts. People were simply trying to offer an alternative that many of us have experience with.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Sondy132001 wrote:
I don't do tents, neither do my kids, and I don't think 19-20 years old is a KID, that's an adult and I don't know any adults who really want a tent.

Lighten up. What crowd do you run with to have such a narrow perspective? We loved tenting and didn't get a pop-up until we were in our 30s. Clearly you're kids are little yet. The word "kid" is relative. When you're 29, 19 year olds are adults. When you're 50, 19 year olds are kids. It's not meant to be demeaning, it's just a reference. My daughter is 30 and she's still my kid.

me lighten up ? obviously you haven't read all the posts here.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Sondy132001 wrote:
I don't do tents, neither do my kids, and I don't think 19-20 years old is a KID, that's an adult and I don't know any adults who really want a tent.

Lighten up. You really have a narrow perspective. We loved tenting and didn't get a pop-up until we were in our 30s. Clearly you're kids are little yet. The word "kid" is relative. When you're 29, 19 year olds are adults. When you're 50, 19 year olds are kids. It's not meant to be demeaning, it's just a reference. My daughter is 31 and she's still my kid. And her and her husband (38) love tenting. Lots of adults do.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
I don't do tents, neither do my kids, and I don't think 19-20 years old is a KID, that's an adult and I don't know any adults who really want a tent. I'd do to your trailer what you want and the back of the truck with a camper shell and mattress would be good too, especially if still connected to the trailer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reading these replies just make me cringe, so judgmental and not even suggestions just a bunch of grumpy people sheesh.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
Not to mention some of the state parks tend to be over run with rougher crowds. I'm not being judgmental, but just this past weekend my husband and son got in the truck and slowly started to pull away from our site and 2 younger kids (preteen?? ) purposefully stopped on their bikes in front of them and gave them this scowl and put their hands up , as to say "what are you gonna do about it." I can't believe how people behave toward others. Music blaring and dogs barking all during daytime hours, and I thought camping was suppose to be relaxing.

What parks? I know things have changed a lot in IL parks due to budget cuts. I'm not sure if they have rangers patrolling anymore. But we've been to Rock Cut and Shabonna Lake and both were excellent places to camp and quiet.

We've never had any real problems in WI state parks either. the rangers simply will not tolerate it.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
When I use to bow hunt my dad would actually take the tent as he made a much more comfortable bed in it then his was in the TT (1970's 14ft Aristocrat). My vote is also for a tent but I would also use a good quality tent. Look at something like Spring bar. I still have the tent mentioned above it actually was my grandfathers. My mom says she can remember it from when she was about 16 so that puts it 53 years old and still going strong.

I would be inclined to repair the floor and ride out the rest of the loan or try and sell it. Like others have said if you customize you reduce the market you would be able to sell it to in the future.

As far as state parks we go to several and have had no issues. I would prefer to boondock, but we go with friend that like the convince of a reservation and water, if the cannot get FHU.

Good luck
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adding bunks will throw off the balance of the trailer! Which may make it have to light or heavy a tongue depending on where the bedroom is. Sounds like it's time to talk to the kids and yourselves about cutting back on the amount of guests you bring with. Or bite the bullet and look for a bunk house!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
GaryWT wrote:
Interesting thoughts from some. Tents are not for everyone, that is for sure. If you main issue is coffee in the morning I say go outside. We always have our coffee outside in our chairs under the awning or if it is a little cool, we have a fire. Favorite part of camping. I am guessing the kids are setting up their own sleeping and putting it away in the morning.

We have a small propane stove out on the picnic table for exactly that reason. We always get up before the kids, so my wife can make her coffee outside and not bother the kids in the morning.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?