cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odor when using tank heaters

DaveInVA
Explorer
Explorer
In my Arctic Fox 1150, I am getting an electrical/ plastic smell when I use my tank heater pads. Is this a common thing when using the heaters for the first time?

I plan to contact Northwood, but thought I'd pose the question here as well.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

DaveInVA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Talked to Northwood service guys and they said that the smell is part of the new tanks being used.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
You will often have an odor from any electric heater when first used . May or may not be something wrong . Keep an eye on it .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fresh plastics "off-gas" for months, perhaps years, until they're fully cured, and that off-gassing is accelerated when heated.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ lol this.
Are you heating empty tanks?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
Is there any liquid in all 3 tanks? Iโ€™m thinking you might not want to heat an empty tank?!

Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™m thinking, this could be a low beer intake issue on your part.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any liquid in all 3 tanks? Iโ€™m thinking you might not want to heat an empty tank?!

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the vent pipes are sealed to the camper roof INSIDE or under the pipe vent covers. Most don't do that.... It not to stop leaks it's to stop the smell from reentering the cabin. They sometimes drill too big a holes and don't seal the pipe to roof underneath the rain cover. Then sewer gas go back in cabin.

This most likely culprit of all.