cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oh "Snap"

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II

Doing my walkaround and I spotted something amiss on my Airlift loadlifter 5000 aibags.No idea when it happened but it looks like a new upper mounts and bolts will be needed. only 80 miles of flat towing to get home. I will just drop the pressure drive easy and trust the springs and stable loads to do their thing.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
25 REPLIES 25

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Buzz,
Looks familiar. I think I took that picture. Alex's Ford F-250/Lance air bag saddle bracket looked exactly like that at the beginning of the White Rim Trail a couple years ago. To do the trail he just took most of the air out of the bags. Several of those grade 8 bolts just snapped and bent the ears on the bracket. There must be a lot of stress on that bracket, depending on how much air in the bag. Good thing you found it before you got way out there somewhere.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
well $175 in shop labor zero for parts it is fixed.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
My 2005 Firestone upper bracket hooks under the frame rail and is bolted under the bump stop in addition to large bolt through an existing hole in the frame while the bottom bracket looks the same. I can see why those bolts bolts shear with that design setup.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
warranty replacement parts are here, shop will install them tomorrow.

amazing what room there is when no load is in the bed

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
unloaded with 10 psi from when the bags were installed

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Well unless the issue with distance is addressed I assume its going to happen again. Something still doesnt look right. Looking at good side if bag inflated there just isnt any room for up travel/compression-main pack is already flattend against bottom leaf-overloads engaged- just unsure, though on a 250 frame we have same kit? (install requires 5-8" between brackets) Ive never seen any thing like your showing even with trailer.
are the last group of pics with trailer still attached -horse(s) inside?...static with just camper on?.
Your camper weight comporable all I can think is main leaf packs have callapsed-all I have are pics unloaded shown on this thread. Curious what yours looks like unloaded
Mark
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 05 CTD dually also had failing air bags. This is how I prevented that problem on my F250. 3000# frame mounted overloads. ๐Ÿ™‚

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
hey buzzcut1, I think you're missing a part on your stabil load also.
My kit came with what looks like a small picture frame that says it's specifically for that type of curved plate that you bolt it to. Just thought I'd mention it. It's supposed to keep the stabil load from moving around. If yours are not moving, I guess there's no problem, but I remember installing them on mine.

anthony

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
spoke wifh airlift this morning. great warranty service. new bracketfkr right side and new bolts for both sides are shipping out today. my cost was $15 for shipping

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
this is how the leafs and overloads are sitting with the 10psi min pressure and the TC still on ths truck.
damaged side

intact side

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've wondered about that. Enough that I've decided to shift some of the load by adding some overload springs to my truck along with the air bags I already have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UFRV9M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figure I won't need as much air and there-by load to my air springs and mainly just use the air springs for leveling.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow, we do see this every so often on the TC forum.

I have Airlifts on my truck...They have been on 2 trucks. I run 75lbs on each when loaded. Total mileage loaded the bags and camper have almost 200,000 miles on them and no bending of the bracket or bolts breaking. This leaves me scratching my head.

I do know that Reddog1's were Firestones not Airlifts..

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
It's my observation also, that it's possible your distance between the brackets might be too small

I know that all brands of airbags have a minimum distance required between upper and lower brackets when the truck is unloaded. They also must be square with each other.

PacBrake airbags (my brand) requires a min. of 8 inches between brackets with the truck sitting unloaded.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
60 psi i the max I run with a trailer full of horses. Usually I run 35 psi.

we came home on 10 psi with heavy crossswinds and it was a piece of cake riding on just the leafs. This is how it set with 10psi and one horse on board.