cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pop up question

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a travel trailer that I have camped in for the past 7 years. I know zip about popups. However, I just came across a 1997 Coleman Sun Ridge that is mint. The owner wants $2500. NADA book is $1500 - 1800. I figure its prob worth about 2K. My GF would be interested in buying a popup for her and her 3 kids. However, she has a driveway that has a pretty steep incline. I'm wondering, can you store a popup in a driveway that has in incline if you chock both sets of wheels? Is there anything special that I should look for when checking out the camper? I would plan on making sure that all of the systems are working (plumbing, electric, awning, stove, etc) thanks for any and all advise.
9 REPLIES 9

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Coleman the pup was fine and dry the front trunk extra storage was nic and big but the trunk part started to leak before i sold it parking on a hill was no big deal just block the wheels good
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
We had a steep driveway and entrance to the road in front of our previous house. Once I removed the sand pads from the stabilizers and learned to hit that transition from the road to my driveway at an angle instead of straight on, it was fine. I would have to put a fair amount of blocks under the tongue jack in order to get it close to level. Obviously, both wheels had chocks and I remove the wheel from the tongue jack.

Also in our neighborhood, someone had a full sized TT that they did the same thing to but because the TT was so long, they had to build quite a tower of 4"x4" blocks under the tongue jack and front stabilizers. The TT had a higher ground clearance than my PUP so I don't know that they had to angle into the driveway or not.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
skipnchar wrote:
Check the roof carefully. Coleman campers were not BUILT by Coleman and there were a number of years where roofs were very problematic (cracking, sagging and leaking). Coleman and their builder ended up parting company over the issue. Also since it was mentioned, the front truck models also had a LOT leaking issue in that front storage compartment.

Coleman actually builds NOTHING. they just lease their name to manufacturers. There is nothing special about products with the Coleman name.
Fleetwood built the Coleman pups to Coleman specs. The roof problem was fixed befor Fleetwood, and Coleman parted ways, and Fleetwood continued to build the pups under thier own name. until they went bankrupt. FTCA built Coleman pups untill 2011. Then they too went out of business. So it appears no one is making Coleman pups at this time.

At present Dutchman RV is building the Coleman line of Traveltrailers.

I believe a company called "Somerset" has bought the Fleetwood/Coleman designs and are building them.....still not Coleman
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipnchar wrote:
Check the roof carefully. Coleman campers were not BUILT by Coleman and there were a number of years where roofs were very problematic (cracking, sagging and leaking). Coleman and their builder ended up parting company over the issue. Also since it was mentioned, the front truck models also had a LOT leaking issue in that front storage compartment.

Coleman actually builds NOTHING. they just lease their name to manufacturers. There is nothing special about products with the Coleman name.
Fleetwood built the Coleman pups to Coleman specs. The roof problem was fixed befor Fleetwood, and Coleman parted ways, and Fleetwood continued to build the pups under thier own name. until they went bankrupt. FTCA built Coleman pups untill 2011. Then they too went out of business. So it appears no one is making Coleman pups at this time.

At present Dutchman RV is building the Coleman line of Traveltrailers.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just say that when you do get your first pop up?

After you open it get all excited about setting it up and set up the beds/posts, do NOT be tempted to get up on the bed to see how it feels........because you most likely have not put the back levelers down and you will flip the whole thing over! Don't ask me how I know! And I'm sure a lot have done this but won't ever admit it! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I might add that I always thought my floor just inside the door was spongy maybe due to being waterlogged or something. I finally crawled under the trailer and could not find any water damage. I added a right angle piece of metal across the area under the floor and it doesn't feel spongy anymore.

The floor just inside the door is prone however to get water damage as the door seal under the door seems to fail or get torn off etc... This lets water get to the floor when it is raining... Something to watch for...

My POPUP trailer is a 2008 model and my awning zip up pouch is just about useless now. This all started around two seasons back with dry rot on the straps and finally the thread around the zip up pouch is now failing. Eventually the pouch flys off the trailer going down the road they tell me...

These can cost around $500 I guess to replace them....

I fold my pouch up on the roof now and have several stretch ropes going over the pouch laying on the roof to keep it flying away. This ain't gonna last too long for me I imagine haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
McDaddy wrote:
I have a travel trailer that I have camped in for the past 7 years. I know zip about popups. However, I just came across a 1997 Coleman Sun Ridge that is mint. The owner wants $2500. NADA book is $1500 - 1800. I figure its prob worth about 2K. My GF would be interested in buying a popup for her and her 3 kids. However, she has a driveway that has a pretty steep incline. I'm wondering, can you store a popup in a driveway that has in incline if you chock both sets of wheels? Is there anything special that I should look for when checking out the camper? I would plan on making sure that all of the systems are working (plumbing, electric, awning, stove, etc) thanks for any and all advise.

IF it has the ABS roof, and it has not been replaced. Look at it very carefully. The Roofs were the big problem with Coleman pups. And IF it has the front storage compartment. They have a sway problem. I believ that is mostly on BaySides though.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the canvas for rips, holes, mold, etc. Look for soft spots in the floor and crawl underneat to look for rotten wood. You should chock both sets of tires all the time, not just on an incline. If it's real steep, get some good chocks! Does this one have the one-piece ABS roof? If so, those had some problems also with sagging and I've seen a few that also had lots of very small cracks all over the place.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT