cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok to drive home from dealer without a Wdh?

PnrFab
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a Keystone passport 2670we that the dealer is prepping before I can tow it home. I have ordered a equal-i-zer-hitch that is still being shipped. Long story short. Can I tow the TT home without the wdh. I'll exceed the 500lb tongue weight without using the hitch,using wdh hitch max is 1050 lbs. All back roads no freeway driving.
2014 F150 Eco-Boost
2017 Keystone Passport 2670BHWE
51 REPLIES 51

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Better not cross the street without a traffic guard either. How can it be safe to tow until you are sitting on some scales with wrenches in hand? When I want zero risk, I totally avoid that situation.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. Yes you may

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look... you've obviously already have some reservations about doing this, or you wouldn't have asked the question. Or, if you are looking for validation of your decision you've made already, then just skip every other post.

Are there not torque specs that exceed normal torque wrenches, that are spec'd for the Equalizer hitch? Do you have a heavy duty torque wrench that goes up to 250(ish)? Or do you have a calibrated arm, or don't care about that? My Blue Ox had torque specs on the hitch ball, and the bolts installing the hitch on the shank, which is why I had the dealer install it while I watched and learned.

I get wanting to install it yourself, to make sure it's done right. So, why not wait until Saturday? Install it at CW when you pick up the trailer. Ask them if they will do it, and allow you to assist.. either that or just do it in their parking lot. Then on you're way home, on the short roads, you will get some indication (in theory), that you did it correctly, or that you might have to make some adjustments.

Your call.. I agree with Huntindog.. the risk may be low, but it's not zero. Waiting a day will not hurt.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

soren
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
Why not wait and pay camping world to install the hitch?

The best reason is that doing it yourself means that you will read the directions, install it properly, and adjust it correctly. My first hitch was a dealer install. After my first camping weekend, I had to disassemble everything and do the job properly. Since then I have installed at least five more, including two that had to be reinstalled for friends, after it was obvious that the dealer should of never been allowed to touch the thing. Paying CW $150/HR to do something that requires the ability to follow simple directions, and use hand tools, isn't a great idea if you can avoid it, especially given their less than impressive track record in doing work promptly and properly.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
PnrFab wrote:
wow, lots of replies now.
the reason i was asking (again new to this) my hitch (v5) states max tongue is 500 lbs but 1050 lbs with a WDH. but my understanding is the WDH helps even the load out over the length of the truck but that does not decrease the tongue weight. so since i would be traveling short distance, back roads, no load in truck or trailer i was wondering if i could tow it home without WDH. and to answer other questions. yes i do have a drop hitch with the proper 2-5/16 ball id use, im more than capable to install this hitch and have the proper tools (including 1-7/8" socket), my truck has the tow pkg including integrated brake control and wiring out back. salesman did offer to sell me a WDH (not a equalizer) at a discounted rate and would toss in installation. but stuff like this i do myself to know its done right (already watched few youtube videos)

FYI. I have had three different EQUALIZERS. Not sure on the model you are getting, but all of mine took a special thin walled socket as the nut is recessed into the hitch head.... A standard socket would not work.

As for your decision.... It is totally up to you. Those that say no big deal, go for it, as they did... Well none of them had your truck, and your TT and were driving the roads that you will... They also will not be much help to you if something goes wrong, either on this trip, or if the stress from this trip causes a failure on a subsequent trip.
What ever the "risk" of a problem is..... It is not zero. The ratings are what they are for a reason. What is the "harm" in waiting? Zero.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

PnrFab
Explorer
Explorer
wow, lots of replies now.
the reason i was asking (again new to this) my hitch (v5) states max tongue is 500 lbs but 1050 lbs with a WDH. but my understanding is the WDH helps even the load out over the length of the truck but that does not decrease the tongue weight. so since i would be traveling short distance, back roads, no load in truck or trailer i was wondering if i could tow it home without WDH. and to answer other questions. yes i do have a drop hitch with the proper 2-5/16 ball id use, im more than capable to install this hitch and have the proper tools (including 1-7/8" socket), my truck has the tow pkg including integrated brake control and wiring out back. salesman did offer to sell me a WDH (not a equalizer) at a discounted rate and would toss in installation. but stuff like this i do myself to know its done right (already watched few youtube videos)
2014 F150 Eco-Boost
2017 Keystone Passport 2670BHWE

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the hitch rating is only 500lbs? My Silverado manual says 800lbs max when weight carrying according to the manual and I think the sticker on the hitch is even more.

I would take my time and tow it home. I didn't have my hitch when I picked my trailer up in June and I drove it about 10 miles from the dealer to our first campsite. It was completely fine even at interstate speeds.

As far as letting the dealer install the hitch, that might be a good idea, but is no guarantee it will be right. My buddy bought his Equalizer from his dealer and they just slapped in on and it actually CAUSED really bad trailer sway. He had to reset it himself to actually make it tow correctly...after he changed his underwear.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were new to camping and towing, I believe I would waited until I had the hitch in hand. I would also ask the dealer to install it.

There are enough new things to learn without having to learn about proper hitch installation.

Many times it is not an issue of "can I" but an issue of "should I".

Do you really have a hitch with a 2 5/8" ball that you can tow the TT home with? Do you absolutely positively have to have the TT immediately?

Overloading the TV is never a good idea, but folks do it from time to time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I would not give it a second thought. I would hook up and go. No big deal, trailer is empty, no big deal. I have done it many times .

It only takes 1 time for something to finally break and then you'll never do it again! Guaranteed!

They use to say the same thing about seat belts. I don't need them, I've driving all my life without them. But then ... that ONE time happened!

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I would not give it a second thought. I would hook up and go. No big deal, trailer is empty, no big deal. I have done it many times .
samsontdog:o:W

KKWilliams
Explorer
Explorer
The sky may not fall, but being new to towing it may not be a pleasant experience. Also if you aren't sure what the TT and TV should look like it may take you several frustrating hours of adjustments to get this right. If you do want to wait you will have to install part of the equalizer on the trailer at the dealer. All of the adjustments are made on the TT. Only you know what you are capable of and you may enjoy the process. If so have fun with the new rig.

For future readers, you can almost always get the dealer to throw in the installation of a WDH as part of the deal. When the dealer was unwilling to budge on pricing any longer I pushed for upgrades and got larger LP tanks, the equalizer WDH, installation and a 15k AC unit.
2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended with 6.6L Duramax
2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail reserve 32 FR
Equal-i-zer 4
Prodigy P3

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any experience setting up a WD hitch? If so, I'd say IF possible bring the hitch and necessary tools (a floor jack makes it super fast) and setup in the parking lot. I don't see why they'd have a problem with that.

Otherwise be careful, should be all right.. may be a harrowing experience if windy.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
"The sky will not fall" as some are suggesting. I have towed all kinds of trailers with all kinds of loads from asphalt rollers to construction trailers without a weight distributing hitch. If things got uncomfortable, I slowed down. I always arrived safely at my destination.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like the answers are pretty split. Wonder if the folks who say it is okay will pay for any breakage that occurs.

Personally, unless you know how to set the hitch up properly, I would probably reschedule and have CW install the hitch as well. Of course, that assumes THEY know how to do it, which could be a whole new topic unto itself.

Like alot of things, if you are looking to justify your decision, you'll find it either way you want to go. Only you can make the call. Risk is probably low, given 18 miles, and assuming it's all low speed roads. But, no one here knows the road conditions, other than you.

Good luck with your decision.. whichever way you go. And congrats on the purchase.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
I took my wdh to the camper store and had them help me install it and set it up - they charged me less than the toyota dealer would have, and knew a lot more about it. they also installed and set up the trailer brake. Might want to consider this route...