cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old tires?

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
How can I tell if my tires are getting old? They have about 30000 mi on them. The tread still looks OK. The sidewalls look OK, but I don't really know what to look for. These are Karrier Loadstars.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
32 REPLIES 32

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
What about using a good Light Truck Tire, load range E?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
I believe the industry recommends 5-7yrs...of course if you overload or otherwise abuse them, sooner would be a good idea.

Trailer tires rarely wear out. You don't burn off a lot of tread rolling along at a steady speed.

no. But they ROT pretty quick setting still. Rot is the enemy. Tires oil as they roll, and flex. If the tires are sitting, and not rolling, no oiling takes place, and they rot. EVEN tires that have neve been mounted.
When I buy tires, For the TT, or for the TV. I specify NEW tires. Don't try to put year old tires on any of my vehicles. I won't pay for them. I always check the build date before I allow any tires to be mounted on my vehicles.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
waynefi wrote:
I must be really lucky, since I've gotten almost 8 years and 30000 miles out of a pair of cheap Chinese tires.

You might do well buying lottery tickets.

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
I must be really lucky, since I've gotten almost 8 years and 30000 miles out of a pair of cheap Chinese tires.

It helps that the trailer is light, and when I'm not camping it is parked in a shady spot.

I'm surprised that so much of this is about years, not miles. I don't replace car tires after 3 years, I look at miles and tread.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Been on the road since 10/16, 128,000 same tires on my 26' enclosed car trailer, but they are 16" Michelin truck tires.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
AJR wrote:
After 30,000 miles on TT tires. I would by a new set of the same tire.

agree 100 percent

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
No..... HD hasn't been unlucky when we look around the net at rv and non rv trailering forums and on NHTSA tire complaints website. Very common in fact.
The OP has a small tandem axle TT at 4600 gvwr which is one reason he has good luck with those Loadstar ST tires. Around the net they have a typically bad rep for tread separations

This from Carlisle :
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
** โ€“ 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
โ€“ It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone
โ€“ After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.
โ€“ After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases.**

I've never seen a ST tire makers website that says 5-7 year replacement time in the period others mentioned.
No doubt the new gen ST class tires introduced the last few years will last longer than the older maypops they replaced.

The OP dot date code will determine when its time for new rubber on the road.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
All of my TT tires tha blew out of otherwise failed weren't old at all.
They were just Carlisles, and 1 Maxxiss.

Maxxiss covered the failure, Carlisle never did.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Huntindog wrote:
In 3 years a ST tire has lost 33% of its strength.

None of mine ever made it 2 years.

Can you provide a source?

Going back to traveling with my family as a kid, never had any tire fail at 2yr...you must be incredibly unlucky if every tire fails by 2yr.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I believe the industry recommends 5-7yrs...of course if you overload or otherwise abuse them, sooner would be a good idea.

Trailer tires rarely wear out. You don't burn off a lot of tread rolling along at a steady speed.
I go by this as well 5 to 7 years. A lot depends on exposure to the sun UV rays that dries tires out. A blow out can cause a lot of expensive damage.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
In 3 years a ST tire has lost 33% of its strength.

None of mine ever made it 2 years.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You are being toooo thrifty. I change every three years. I can fix a tire on the road but I donโ€™t want to do so.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
DOT date code.
ST tires replace every 4 years.

Or in my case LESS. Every TT tire I have ever blown was in it's 4th year. and I have scattered 3 across the interstate. 3 years is now my limit.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
After 30,000 miles on TT tires. I would by a new set of the same tire.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD