cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG!...

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/10-carmakers-sued-over-keyless-ignitions/ar-BBm9LFr?li=AA8hc8

The gene pool needs more chlorine...
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM
42 REPLIES 42

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't have any problems when the start buttons were on the floor.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it is too difficult to look at the instrumentation. I haven't seen a vehicle that wasn't equipped with a tachometer in years.
A glance at the instrument panel tells me the engine is still running. The tach shows idle RPM, the oil pressure gauge shows pressure (or the idiot light is not illuminated), etc.
Situational awareness is a wonderful thing. Too bad so many people don't have it!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least with keyed ignition vehicles most people need the same key ring to get back in their house when they return home. I don't understand why the vehicles don't shut off when the fob gets over 10 feet from the vehicle. If you need to leave it running then you leave the fob in the vehicle just like you would leave the keys in the ignition on other vehicles.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Around here an unattended running vehicle will get you a ticket locked or not.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
What if someone leaves a keyed ignition car running in the garage? They're so quiet, you might not know it's running right? My Keyless Prius will emit some loud beeps if I get out with it "ON". If I get out of my keyed ignition F250 and walk away because I didn't know it was running while I was driving it, it does nothing to tell me it's still running and I've left the vehicle. I'm thinking about suing Ford because it doesn't tell me to shut it off before I walk away from it. How could the manufacturer be so negligent. Sarcasm intended.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Its easy to dismiss the claims, however when you consider that most new cars are so quiet many older individuals cannot hear them, combined with a non-intuitive operating parameter that allow the engine to run when you take the "key" (or in this case a fob) out of the vehicle, it puts people at risk.

Would you want to lose your parent or grandparent because they are caught up on technology? From a Human Factors standpoint, the current systems in many cars most definitely increase the probability of somebody making a potentially fatal error.

Bryan if my Dad becomes so absent minded that he does not know that he didn't turn off his car then it is time to take his right to drive away. For his safety and everyone around him. As far as the car being accidentally started it could happen I guess. Although it has not happened with any of our vehicles. I have set off the alarm by accident but that only takes one push of the panic button to do. To start them you need to push the start button two times and then the horn sounds two times and it starts. It will run for only ten minutes then the vehicle shuts off. I'm no expert but can you really get enough CO2 in a home to kill someone in that time frame? My garage is not heatedd so it will never happen. It does have drywall on all the walls and ceiling but the eve's and three roof vents will pull all the CO2 out. The service door is sealed and no air xan leak leak by it.

Also in my Ram if you leave the truck with it running there is an warning that says over and over THE KEY FOB HAS LEFT THE VEHICLE along with a warning on the dash and a chime sounds. If the fob does not return in ten minutes the truck shuts down.

The point is this is not an issue and these law suits should be dismissed! BTW if people would read their owners manual it tells you to NOT TO START YOUR VEHICLE IN AN ENCLOSED AERA! But let's not take responsibility for our own actions here.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it is a big problem! I always wondered why they never put a sensor on the air inlet to the engine that measures for Carbon Monoxide?

You can say "well just turn it off" all you like, but the reality is its not that easy. And what about a keyfob that is in a purse and the start button gets pressed? See not that easy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I don't think the car manufacturers were trying to conceal anything, I think they just couldn't conceive of anyone being that dumb. They've been proven wrong!

Let's face it, if we're that concerned about a senior citizen not hearing the car running and leave it on as a previous poster suggests, they should probably bad giving up their license.

One issue I've noticed is that vehicles I've had with regular keys give all kinds of chimes if you open the door with the key in the ignition or ignition running.

My dads lexus with the keyless go does NOTHING if you open the door with engine running, no chime, no buzz, nothing to clue you in that the engine is still running and you left the key in the ignition and the car is still running. IMHO a big oversite and an easy fix to lots of the issues.

and I'll bet most of us are used to car that chimes with the door open and engine running.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Greentreena wrote:
A modern emmisions controled car doesn't put out the carbon monoxide needed to kill a human. Yes you will get seriously ill but dead before you run out of fuel... seriously unlikely.

tell that to my buddy that is a EMT and you'll get a very long lecture. he's been to several CO poisoning from modern cars, luckily responsed quick enough that a trip to ER saved them, but several were within minutes of dying, victim was completely unconcious when he arrived.

and, no it didn't take hours either. maybe 30 minutes, and not in a completely closed garage either.

better than cars of old, or portable generators, but still dangerous.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently today's newer, smarter cars are expected to do the thinking for their owners. Sheesh! If people are too dumb to know that they need to shut off their engines when they park and walk away, they deserve to be weeded out of the gene pool.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
Don't leave the car running in the garage. End of problem...

easy to say, but have you ever listened to some of these cars run. My dad's lexus rx350 is so quite, you don' realize it is running even in the garage.

I have driven it, not used to the keyless go, and parked it and one time left the key in the car rather than my pocket when in the garage, got out and then realized after a minute or so the car was still running, even when walking in front of it. If the heat/ac, radio, lights are off, no visible indication the car is still running.

i can see someone in a hurry, or distracted, etc. getting into trouble.

opening the door didn't give any warning, didn't shut off the engine, nor did closing the door again.

IMHO there is no reason warning bells shouldn't go off if a door is open with ignition on, my 2015 GMC does that, the 2012 lexus does nothing. and then have the engine shut off after say 30 seconds if the door is opened then closed and the car doesn't move.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
Don't leave the car running in the garage. End of problem...

Agree. There is this little thing called Personal Responsibility that people used to have in the past.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
You can still die because of carbon dioxide poisoning, even if there is plenty of oxygen in the atmosphere.

Hydrocarbons burning make carbon dioxide primarily. Carbon monoxide is due to incomplete oxygenation while burning.

Even with exhaust gas recirculation, you still produce carbon dioxide, actually more of it.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
A modern emmisions controled car doesn't put out the carbon monoxide needed to kill a human. Yes you will get seriously ill but dead before you run out of fuel... seriously unlikely.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

starjumper
Explorer
Explorer
Just goes to show you this country has too many lawyers!!
David M. Autrey