cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On to our second trailer!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
When we first started camping as a family, we made a few tent trips. We quickly discovered that our aging bodies along with the extra work of having kids, was too much for us to still be "enjoying ourselves".

So 3 years ago we decided to dabble in travel trailers. We bought a 15BH model. Yes, it was small, but our intentions were not to bring the luxuries of home, but to be an upgrade from a tent. As well, we didn't want to invest too much without knowing how committed we would be as a family.

We made the memories of a lifetime in that little camper. It was everything we wanted it to be and more! However, it had been on our mind that something larger would be on the horizon. We listed the 15BH and it sold in a week (testimate to taking care of things). It was heartbreaking to all of us to watch it roll off down the driveway.

We spent this winter researching and shopping. After an exhausting process, we are excited to introduce to you the new family trailer! A Forest River Surveyor 24BHS.

We've had it home about 2 weeks now and have been pouring over every inch of it. It is a 24.5' box, 5300lbs dry, 7700lbs GVW. We're towing with our Max Tow, F150 Ecoboost (7700). If the drive home is an indication, I can't tell the difference between this trailer and the last, other than being nervous all over again. We didn't have WDH with the last trailer, but I have one now. Installing it this weekend. It is a 1000/10000, so I may have over bought a little. Hope that works out okay.

Here's a list of the features we're most excited to have that are new to us!

-SPACE
-dual axle with some payload
-Residential Queen walk around that is NOT also the dinette.
-Slide (see above)
-Full size bunks
-Storage!
-Power Tongue jack
-Outdoor kitchen
-Larger fridge, sink
-oven
-19' power awning
-factory bike rack designed into the frame
- walkable roof
-ducted air and heat
-electric/propane water heater with electric ignition!
-larger tanks

I'll stop there, the list could go on and on... All of the above are new luxuries to us.

Sorry I don't have better pictures. None of these were posed, just random stuff we had taken while shopping.

Here's to many, many more adventures!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
27 REPLIES 27

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! That should be a great rig for you and your family. Those 6K, 40 day trips should be much more comfortable. I won't say more enjoyable because I know y'all had a ball on the last one!
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and enjoy! Looks like a really nice camper. We just bought our 2nd Forest River. Our first was a pup that we had for over 4 years and almost 100 nights of camping. We were totally pleased with it and never had a single problem. The new one is a 28' TT and looks to have a lot of the same features as yours. So far I'm 100% pleased with it, tows straight as an arrow and seems to be well constructed. All the extra room is just amazing!
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great! I was impressed with the Surveyor line when we saw them at the RV show this year. Also-thanks for the awning shot! I know how I'm going to string the LED strip I got for mine now!
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking rig! Anxious to read your trip report. Here's wishing you many years of happy travels with it.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone! So far, we have only enjoyed it in the driveway. Leaving for our first trip later this week! Report to come.

Hanesworthy
Explorer
Explorer
Good on ya, mate!

Time to write another chapter of memories in the family story.

AbdRahim
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful trailer. may it give you many years of fun and good service.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure you will enjoy the added room and it is still small enough for about any campground. So, now you get to acquire an entirely new set of memories to add to the old ones.

We have a similar set up. F-150, 4x4, E-boost and a 25 ft., 5000 lb. dry weight TT. We have a WD hitch and the TT sits level when hitched.

We towed 8000 miles last year with no problems, first down to the Everglades than out to the Rockies. I do however prefer to stay off the Interstates, so I can tow 60 mph. without everything passing me.

Again, it is a nice looking TT and I hope you enjoy it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice looking new TT, congrats.

How's the headroom inside?

I see the back a little lower than the front, so lowering the ball sounds like the smart option.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new trailer looks very nice! I bet it was hard to watch the old one go so many memories! But now you can make a lot of new ones!

Enjoy! May the Camping Force Be With You Always!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations, enjoy the new camper and make some lasting memories.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
The TV looks level, so load distributed nicely there. Camper seems a little high in the front, but I'm not sure how much of that is optical illusion from shadows and the rounding of the front of the camper. Looks good to me, but if there's something wrong someone here will find it for sure!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. It's nice to share the joy. None of our friends or family are into camping, so no one else shares our excitement.

It does look similar to the Solaire. I looked at the floorpan, and the main difference seems to be that I have double bunks. What have you appreciated about the floorpan most? least?

I spent the afternoon at our nearby school, hooking up the WDH. It was a really smooth process. I can't remember all of the loaded vs. unloaded measurements, but the final result is that I'm 37.5" front and back! I think that's good? The rear was an inch and 3/8 higher to start.

Here's a few shots. I think I should lower the ball on the shank? However, lowering one hole was going to be a little much.

Any thoughts on the photo is appreciated.