cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Onan 2500 Generator Frustration

Roadlover
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the frustration with my Onan 2500 generator continues. After posting questions and several searches regarding why my Onan 2500 generator was first operating poorly then not at all, I changed LP tanks. Now, when I hit the start switch, the generator starts immediately, but as soon as I release the remote switch, it shuts off. The same happens when I push and release the switch on the generator. But as long as I hold the remote or generator switch, the generator runs well and very smoothly. Someone asked if I had a light on the generator which would have to do with error codes, but I do not. If this helps, the light on the remote switch will not turn on. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken
"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers
6 REPLIES 6

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben wrote:
Some models of Onan generators exhibit this behavior when the low oil switch activates
SEE: http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide.pdf

Page 5 may give you your answer

A very common problem with many generators: faulty low-oil sensor switch
Typical example is generator will start but runs for just a few seconds.
Easy trouble shooting is to (check oil level first) short across the switch to bypass it.
If genny runs okay then you know that it's the switch.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

GoFish
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with an Onan Camp Power 2500. I found that the start/stop switch on the generator would not stay in the run position. The generator would start with the remote start switch but, unless I wedged the switch on the generator to the run position, it would quit as soon as I let go of the remote start.

GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison
Torklift Super hitch and tie downs, Rancho 9000's

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
It may be a sign of not outputting voltage. My gas 2800 Microlite has done this twice. First time it had 8 hours on it, and was under warranty. It was a failure of the rotor and / or stator ($1600+!!). Second time at 7 years it was a failed voltage regulator; part cost was about $225 from Flight Systems, and I did the diagnosis & repair.

The little Onans get their spark voltage from the battery when cranking. Once the start button is released, they are supposed to get from the voltage they generate. Thus, if there's no voltage, there's no spark.

If you can use a VOM, there's a troubleshooting guide online at the Flight Systems website, I think.

They dropped the Micolite's low oil sensor some time back, I believe before 2000.

Good luck with it.

Jim, "Sobriety is fine, as long as you don't overdo it."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know if you saw this link or not but it might offer you some kind of help. An rv mechanic talked me out of getting this unit because it has time consuming issues.
My immediate thought was dirty contacts ,maybe in that switch or circuit of that remote switch. This link speaks about that.

http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/3mocn-onan-2500-micro-lite-lp-runs-until-remove-finger.html

Good luck, I hope its a simple fix and you resolve it ,

Bob

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some models of Onan generators exhibit this behavior when the low oil switch activates
SEE: http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide.pdf

Page 5 may give you your answer
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
i would have to say a bad switch when releasing its going back to ground and turning off instead a open position