cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on TV for my TT - Ecoboost Towing?

coolm19
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Dutchmen Sport 25f. 4400 dry, 7700 max (though i don't expect we're anywhere near that even with water). No plans to upgrade anytime in the future, there's just 2 of us and a dog.

We're looking at getting a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost and are trying to decide between the regular and max tow package.

What everyone's opinion on which tow package for my trailer? With the regular we'd have a 3.55, 1660 payload, 9700 max tow weight. The max towing package gets you 3.73, 2000 payload, 11,300 max.

Trying to find them with the max tow package is proving difficult...would there be any concerns if we get the regular tow package with my trailer? We of course use a WD Hitch.
32 REPLIES 32

scottew71
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with max tow also. I too own one and like stated by previous post all the things it zincludes are great for towing: mirrors, integrated brake ( which I love plus it tracks how many miles you have towed your trIler), upgraded receiver and I think it may include the back up camera also. I can't remember if mine was in that pkg or a different pkg I got. Plus you always have the capacity if you need it. It is much more pleasurable towing with a vehicle that is near rated for far more than what you are towing than one that is maxed out.
Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). Rachel (dog). 2016 Aerolite 292 DBHS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

BradinOhio
Explorer
Explorer
My vote would be the max tow, but then again I am partial as I own one. 🙂 Good luck on your decision.
Brad ('68), Sandy ('71), Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS
'10 Keystone Passport UL 245RB (prior - retired 6/2012)
'07 Rockwood Roo 21SS (prior)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
"With the regular we'd have a 3.55, 1660 payload, 9700 max tow weight. The max towing package gets you 3.73, 2000 payload, 11,300 max."

Be careful - those are fantasy numbers for a stripped down truck. You need to look at a door sticker to see what the actual payload is - the higher the trim package, the lower the payload.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'll jump in here.....

2012 EB XLT SCAB, 4X4, STANDARD tow package, 3.55's, 1486# payload, pulling a 4700# (empty) TT. Mostly it's just DW & me in the cab. Granted, the only trip so far was 80 miles to get the TT home from the dealer. But I'm very happy with it. The previous HTT probably came in at 4500# loaded and the EB had NO problem with it, in fact I could pass slower traffic going uphill. WD is a Reese DC with my old 550# bars. The F150 doesn't sway near as bad (almost non-existent) compared to my old Envoy. DW's about got all our stuff transferred to the new TT and the CAT scale is right down the road, one of these days I'll get the new combo weighed.

I mounted my Prodigy P1 controller in the factory location. I didn't use the plug 'n play harness but spliced the P1 harness to the supplied Ford harness. Note - the factory Ford brake controller is integrated with the stability control. It can be added but the dealer needs to re-flash the computer for it to recognize the controller. If the truck has the factory controller with the Standard tow package, go for it.

I have to park in a city garage every day and the big tow mirrors would have been an issue. The doors don't have a lot of curvature to them and my McKesh mirror straps vibrated badly on the way home. I bought a set of CIPA 11800 mirrors from Wally World but haven't tried them yet.

The 3.73 rear gets you another 500#, all on the rear axle. 3.73's w/o the Max tow is a valid combination but most dealers just order a truck with the Max tow package which requires the 3.73's.

4X4 gets you a 36-gallon gas tank. 2X4 was a 26 gallon tank but I heard all the F150's now have the larger tank (but I could be mistaken.)

One downside - the Max tow would probably have a higher trade-in value if that means anything to you.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
I tow a trailer similar to yours with my explorer. You'll do fine with the 3.55s. However, you are getting sound advice, get the Max tow. Otherwise you'll miss out on the great tow mirrors, and several other towing helpers that are part of the package.

I agree. When I purchased my EB I was a little miffed I could not get the max tow with 3.55. I understand why Ford does it this way but IMO the 3.55 works well at all loads that are legal with the F150, and it is slightly better on the MPG.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a trailer similar to yours with my explorer. You'll do fine with the 3.55s. However, you are getting sound advice, get the Max tow. Otherwise you'll miss out on the great tow mirrors, and several other towing helpers that are part of the package.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big fan the Ford's Max towing package for RVing. It forces 3.73 axle, limited slip diff, 300-450 pounds higher payload, large towing mirrors, upgraded receiver. These are all useful for RVing. The cost and tradeoffs are few. About $2000 over a standard Ecoboost F150 with about all the equipment you need anyway. No real world measurable fuel economy difference.

Ecoboost 3.55 is more than adequate for even 8000 pounds of RV. The finer details of the MTT package will make it more enjoyable.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
coolm19 wrote:
We'd prefer to go with the Max Tow package like most of you suggest...but does anyone see any issues with my TT and the regular package?

If it has a 6 sp transmission the 3.55 would be adequate in that configuration
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

coolm19
Explorer
Explorer
We'd prefer to go with the Max Tow package like most of you suggest...but does anyone see any issues with my TT and the regular package?

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar weight TT and actually went with the F150 EB max tow AND HD payload. My payload is 2098 but it is super crew lariat with a few options. Of course had to order but the wait was worth it. So far after only 1600 miles I've enjoyed driving and towing with this set-up. No plans right now for larger TT and may never go bigger. However, the ability to put some heavier items in the Bed nice. I'd definitely go at least with the max tow, at least you'll have some extra payload if needed.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

mastercraft1995
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Tundra with the 5.7. However the Ford Max tow gives you more payload.
2012 Tundra, Super White, Double Cab, 4x4, TRD, 5.7L
1999 Nash 25S

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Get the max tow....then if you ever get a new dog, you can get an 500 lb one.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Get the max tow package.
BUT, don't expect the spectacular fuel economy out of it that Ford claims. My brother got one, loves the truck, but pulling a ultralite Jayco with it his fuel economy is worse than me pulling my 13,500 pound fiver with a Dodge Cummins. Go figure?

Ford never claimed the EB would get superior fuel economy all the time. It's always been along the lines of "power when you need it, but better fuel economy when you don't need the power".

For people who tow on weekends its great. But maybe not the best choice for somebody using it as a dedicated tow vehicle.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
I would go max tow just because it gives you breathing room. The EB is a great engine and I personally would not worry about its durability. If you don't expect it to be a race truck engine and learn its little quirks you can get great unloaded gas mileage. Towing is another story, no matter what you will get junky mpg while towing. Great power, but low mpg (towing). The F150 itself is a very comfortable, roomy truck and a pleasure to drive long distances. I wish I still had mine but necessity caused me to move to an F350.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go with the Ford. Plenty of capacity for the TT you have chosen.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers