cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on a Possible TC trade

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
I recently acquired a Lance 880 in remarkable condition. Initially I planned to sell it after cleaning it and checking all the systems, but after having it for about a month I realized that I really missed having a TC. I do like my large travel trailer, but it just won't go where the TC will, so I had decided to keep it.

Fast forward to a couple of hours ago. I have a good friend who loves to camp. At the moment her rig is an Outfitter popup TC on a Toyota Tundra. She looked the Lance over today and really fell in love with it. We know of a Dually truck that is available which will carry the Lance nicely, so she really wants to buy it from me.

I'm hesitant because as I say, for getting into places the TT won't go the Lance is ideal. It then occurred to me that I could probably take her Outfitter in trade and maybe still have a TC.

Now I've never owned or seriously looked at a popup TC. My use of this would strictly be for short trips of a day or two. Anything longer and I'm going to take the trailer. So ...
  • Will I be able to mount the little Outfitter on my long bed Dually?
  • I'll obviously need swing brackets for the front jacks. Are they available?
  • how difficult is it to raise a popup TC?
  • what else should I be thinking about?

Thanks for you thoughts.
Joe
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
11 REPLIES 11

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Joe,
Find out what model OUTFITTER! is in question, and make some measurements of both the footprint and inside-the-bed wall height of the OUTFITTER! and the footprint of your lance. My brother has a wide, 9.5 OUTFITTER! on his Ford, SRW, 2 series truck. There is always a way to extend the front jack brackets if you need more width for your dually, but the front overhang must clear the cab, and to fit a long bed truck there can be no storage wings attached, unless it already sticks out beyond the tailgate..
Considering the possibility that you could have the flexibility of a virtual RV Compound with a TC and a bumper pull, this could be a win-win for everyone concerned. You just need enough relatives/offspring/fishing buddies/family reunion campout participants to fill all those beds. Plus, an OUTFITTER! has very good off-road prowess and is completely on the other side of the RV spectrum and a very long way from your spacious 28' bumper pull. You could enjoy either or both, depending on the needs of the trip. You have enough truck to pull that RV choo-choo. With only 2WD, you won't be getting that far off the road anyway but will appreciate that weight on the drive wheels. I don't know your storage situation, and this could be a deal breaker.
Get your tape out. This could be good.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are offering you too much to resist, take it. You can always buy a TC later.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
If the tiedowns are inside the bed rails, no problem. Simply tie down to the anchor points INSIDE the bed. We're talking about a small lightweight popup here not a monster behemoth like a Lance 880.

Seriously? I think the myth that popup automatically equals lightweight has been debunked many times. Beyond that, how do you plan to secure the tiedowns to the anchor points inside the bed?
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
One interesting thought that occurred to me tai morin get: with the outfitter I could take BOTH the TC and the TT. Not sure I'd ever want to, but it should be feasible.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the tiedowns are inside the bed rails, no problem. Simply tie down to the anchor points INSIDE the bed. We're talking about a small lightweight popup here not a monster behemoth like a Lance 880.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outfitter made a camper specifically designed for the early model Tundras which were smaller. If your friend's is one of those you may want to take some measurements to make sure it'll fit your truck. For example, if the width of the camper has the tie down anchors inside the bed rails of your truck, you'll have a problem. If it's a larger later model Tundra and a "standard" Outfitter, never mind.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When you TC camp, do you tend to remove the camper? I've been led to believe that pop ups have to remain on the truck at all times. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Be aware that the popup is narrower and even with swing-out brackets, it may not be wide enough to fit over your dually's fenders. Mine wouldn't have been, except that I was lucky enough to find a set of swing-out brackets that someone had welded a 2" wide extension on. Even with the extra 4" it is a tight squeeze, with only about 1.5" between the jack post and the fender on each side.

Depending on the model you may also need a platform in the bed of the truck so it will clear the bed rails and cab roof of your truck.

Good info on the brackets, thanks.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:
What year are the two campers and how are their conditions.

I like pop-ups. I'd do it in two seconds.

Not sure on the Outfitter, but it's relatively recent. The Lance is the one in my sig and it's a '95.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be aware that the popup is narrower and even with swing-out brackets, it may not be wide enough to fit over your dually's fenders. Mine wouldn't have been, except that I was lucky enough to find a set of swing-out brackets that someone had welded a 2" wide extension on. Even with the extra 4" it is a tight squeeze, with only about 1.5" between the jack post and the fender on each side.

Depending on the model you may also need a platform in the bed of the truck so it will clear the bed rails and cab roof of your truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
What year are the two campers and how are their conditions.

I like pop-ups. I'd do it in two seconds.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm