cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge Ram 1500, maybe

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a TT with GVWR about 4000 lbs. My Tahoe isn't cutting it. 4.8 V8 with a low gear ratio and a real fat 2nd gear. If you get stuck in it pulling uphill, you're stuck to the top. It's a 2007, so we're looking at a newer tow vehicle better set up to towing. We looked this weekend and found a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. I don't think it'll be as comfy as the tahoe, but I'll bet it tows a ton better. I've never owned a Chrysler product before. Funny, it only has a bumper hitch. I didn't check for a tranny cooler, but I will before I buy something. Opinions? Sorry if I'm opening a can of worms.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
18 REPLIES 18

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
While towing on the road the tranny runs hotter than I like in the 170 to 180 ram tech said that was ok,but then again?

The coolant temp running up at the 200(f) (everyday, normal, non-towing, driving)is the one that always seems high to me.

Most of what I have read on some RAM forums, indicates that the higher temps is actually pretty normal for this generation of RAM.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ram should be fine. A tradesman or express should have plenty of payload. My express has 1478 SLT or above you need to look close.
I don't understand it only having a bumper hitch, unless it was a rental and the hitch removed by the leasing company. It should have the double wire harness plug.
Now Hemis are sold as having "Heavy Duty Transmission Cooling". According to a Ram Tech I talked to it is supposed to suffice with out an aux cooler. Of course he does not warranty my tranny so is his word any better than anyone elses? I have seen temps as high as, 190, on a very steep 1rst gear off road climb. While towing on the road the tranny runs hotter than I like in the 170 to 180 ram tech said that was ok,but then again?
I tow a hybrid with a gross weight of just under 500 lb.

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the 1/2 ton trucks, properly equipped, will do the job just fine. Just pick the one you like best! I agree with the opinions about not buying a truck without the tow package. Should be very easy to find one equipped the way you want.

I'm partial to the F150 Ecoboost (love mine!), but in reality, they are all great trucks and will tow 4k lbs without any drama.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 2012 KZ Sportsmen Classic 170 (3500 GVWR) with a 2013 RAM 1500 Tradesman, reg cab 2x4, 8' bed, 5.7 HEMI, 1668 Payload, with tow package (receiver, tranny cooler, 373 rear).

I use a WDH/Anti-sway......Cause I like it!!!!

PULLS LIKE A DREAM....

11.9 MPG on local trips in hilly western Pennsylvania. Last years big circle from Pittsburgh to Orange County NY...over to Niagra Falls, and back to PGH (70 mph down hill, uphill, and whenever else I felt like it). 11 mpg according to the trusty build in mileage quess-a-meter.

Mine is a no-thrills truck, but I find the leather like vinyl seat to be comfortable enough. The cruise works, and the air blows cold. The built in connector thingy that plugs my phone into the radio, means I can drive my DW nuts with OLD TIMER music (I like Jim reeves, Hank Snow and Perry Como---so shoot me).

MY POINT.... If you like the RAM 1500, and find one with a tow package, then fear not pulling your current trailer.

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Good truck for 4000pds but without the tow hitch I agree it most likely does not have tow package.

I would second the Eco Diesel if you were buying new but highly doubt you will find one used to similar in price.

I have a 2011 and towed 8000 pads which was a little much for it. Freind has a 2015 with 6 speed and 5500pd trailer, tows like a dream, also used my 2011 and towed like a dream.

Have a second freind with a 2015 and the 8speed, tows about the same, no diff in MPG towing but not towing it is noticble better on fuel. Same tank size and the 8speed is getting about 750kms per tank while the 6 speed is getting 600km per tank. I have never looked into it if this may be pure luck or consistent with other owners.

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
x4 on the Ram's payload... I liked my GMC 6.2l 1500 (it was almost 1600 lbs) ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
+3 to watching the ram and payload.

I considered it for my truck but with the configuration I wanted the payload would have been maxed by either me and my family or the hitch weight with no-one in the truck....
Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
Primary tow vehicle 2015 F150 super crew, 5.0 V8.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Should be fine but keep an eye on the payloads. Rams have some of the lowest in the 1/2 ton class. Can be less than 1k in a loaded up crew cab.

X2. Be sure to check the sticker. Good luck with your search!
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Or if you like the GM, get a 1500. Even the 5.3L with 3.42 would pull your setup easy.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
F150 3.5 Ecoboost 3.55 gears. Better pulling power and a little better mpgs empty. JMO

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it only has a bumper hitch, it probably doesn't have a tow package.

I would shop around for one with a tow package as they are so common, it shouldn't cost any more.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get a Tahoe/Yukon that meets your towing needs? The 5.3/6sp with 3.42 would make a great tow vehicle for 4000lb. I had a Suburban this past weekend with this combination, and obtained 21 mpg for a road trip without a trailer. I have used this combination to tow as heavy as 8000lb.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

blt2ski
Issue for the OP is not power, but the trans itself. It is geared better than the 4l80 derivatives, but still, compared to the newer closer ratios of the 6 spds, That alone makes for a better towing time.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
First, it is cheaper and easier to get the proper towing package from the manufacturer. For pickups if it doesn't have a receiver - it doesn't have the upgraded towing package and I would not tow any high walled trailer. So find another example with the towing package. The included trans cooler is especially important.

Going from your 4.8L/4-spd to anything 2015+ will accelerate significantly better. With 6-8 speed transmissions and 50% more power from the 5.7L, or GM's 5.3L or Ford's 5.0L or Ecoboost, you'll be extremely pleased. So pick for favorite brand and get the proper towing equipment.

Ram does have the lowest payloads in the half ton class, so make sure the one you like has enough for your needs. Check out this sticker as test drive for as equipped payload.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)