cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outback owners

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously looking at a 2015 OUTBACK 277RL. This is a used unit with an asking price of $26,745 which sounds pretty high.

I would love to hear from other Outback owners about overall quality, problems to look for and opinion on price. We may sit down with them on Friday to see what deal we can make.
29 REPLIES 29

Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a 2011 277RL and loved it. Loved the bedroom. The only complaint's I had was
1) the 15K btu AC wasn't enough for the Texas heat. A small bedroom AC would be a nice addition.
2) at 35' my SWB F150 struggled with sway issues. The 277RL was stolen from my driveway before I could figure out what caused this. I believe it was due to the P rated tires on the TV.

This was going to be our keeper Roll'n Condo until someone stole it. I decided to try a FW at that point and Keystone's FW's (Cougar) were too heavy for my little F150.

Enjoy your new "Roll'n Condo".
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
We're really pleased with ours. We are the second owners. The original owners are family friends of ours and they didn't have any big problems. We really like the layout with the rear living. The build quality seems decent enough. It's 6 years old and we don't have any structural issues. I agree with KFCDCapt, the decal idea wasn't well thought out for longevity.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer

We have looked for new but we want the table instead of the dinette and it appears that no one orders the table. The table would give us the flexibility of leaving 2 chairs at home making room for the dogs crate. That is one of the reasons for looking, we need more room when the dog is on board. We have found that we have boarded her on longer trips just because of cramped quarters and we don't like doing that.

The MSRP on this trailer ranges from 35k to 40K from what I have seen.

Ours has the table and chairs, and agree that while it limits inside storage, it gives a lot more potential floor space and versatility.

You can carry two folding chairs if you want to seat another couple for dinner, but we usually find we are outside anyhow .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
I'm seriously looking at a 2015 OUTBACK 277RL. This is a used unit with an asking price of $26,745 which sounds pretty high.

I would love to hear from other Outback owners about overall quality, problems to look for and opinion on price. We may sit down with them on Friday to see what deal we can make.
I Love our Outback! We have used it for 4 seasons without any problems.I would try and find a wholesale dealer and just buy a brand new one. We bought our 2012 Outback 292BH from Pete's rv and the MSRP was $34,999. We paid $21,500 and that came with a 10yr Total care warranty.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kevin

We have looked for new but we want the table instead of the dinette and it appears that no one orders the table. The table would give us the flexibility of leaving 2 chairs at home making room for the dogs crate. That is one of the reasons for looking, we need more room when the dog is on board. We have found that we have boarded her on longer trips just because of cramped quarters and we don't like doing that.

The MSRP on this trailer ranges from 35k to 40K from what I have seen.

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

I Love our Outback! We have used it for 4 seasons without any problems.I would try and find a wholesale dealer and just buy a brand new one. We bought our 2012 Outback 292BH from Pete's rv and the MSRP was $34,999. We paid $21,500 and that came with a 10yr Total care warranty.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
KCFDCapt wrote:
I have a 2010 Outback Sydney FRE. We love the floor plan. The peninsula kitchen keeps traffic out of the cooks way, the bathroom is accessible with the slides in and the bedroom is available for a nap. The only complaint is the cheap decals they put on them and then don't give a hoot about what the graphics look like later with all the cracking and peeling.

I think they are all bad about that. I have an 09 KZ Spree that is in excellent shape except for the peeling graphics.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Outback Sydney FRE. We love the floor plan. The peninsula kitchen keeps traffic out of the cooks way, the bathroom is accessible with the slides in and the bedroom is available for a nap. The only complaint is the cheap decals they put on them and then don't give a hoot about what the graphics look like later with all the cracking and peeling.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an Outback Sydney edition 5th wheel and we couldn't be happier. We have had a couple of little things, but all things I could fix easily. If I was buying again we would buy an Outback.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
There is an Outback Forum !I think its outbackers .com

Thank you!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is an Outback Forum !I think its outbackers .com

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
kevden wrote:
We love our 312bh. The price on yours is high, especially used. Ours was 23k new from Pete's rv

Totally different animal in the three year difference.

New ones now MSRP over $40K...
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Outback 277RL (manufactured in June, 2011) that we bought very slightly used in the Spring of 2012. It is perfect for the two of us and the dogs, and we love it. That price does seem a little high as, but not too far off if it is in really good shape - we paid about the same for ours ....

As far as quality goes, I think the Outbacks are a little better than average, but when you come from boats like we did, most the mid priced trailers use so rather inexpensive construction techniques and materials - but they need to create a function unit at an affordable price.

We really haven't had any major problems - mostly cosmetic. The Outbacks with the brown or black front caps have had fading problems due to cheap gelcoat. Luckily, ours is white, so fading is not nearly as noticeable. Our counter tops are Formica with the extruded edges. In the kitchen, the molded edge was not sealed properly, and water got down in there and swelled up the particle board counter top. I was able to get a decent fix that only I notice, but it was disappointing. The only other significant problem were the OEM cheapo tires. We got a TPMS which saved up from major damage when one blew out. They have been replaced with Maaxis LR E tires as the wheels can handle the 80psi pressure.

As far as the features of the 277RL that we like and are somewhat limiting:
The RL layout is very practical for us with lots of room and the slide out in the bedroom makes for plenty of room there also. The vanity with a folding chairs serves as a computer work desk since we do perform some work while on the road. The huge hanging closest is great.
Due the placement of the window over the stove, venting the hood to the outside is very difficult. Since we seldom cook inside, and there is a ceiling vent nearby, this has not been a problem.
The TV is all the way at the other end of the living room from the chairs and is difficult for our old eyes to see. We bought each other a 42" TV for Christmas which I will be installing before we head south this winter.
The access doors to the storage compartments are relatively small. This means tote containers or milk crate storage boxes do not fit into the opening.
Due to the all the storage being in the front of the trailer, the tongue weight is relatively heavy for an 8500 lb trailer - has to be over 1000 lbs. While this means the trailer tows nice a straight without sway, it does put a lot of weight on the hitch and tow vehicle. A good electric jack is highly recommended.
The rear hitch receiver is a little flimsy, but we had it reinforced and welded to the bumper as we haul a 100 lb inflatable boat on a rear platform.
The single air condition is barely adequate when it gets good and hot. We seldom travel during the summer - mostly winter trips south, and northern trips in the fall, so hasn't been a big problem, but if we were down south in the summer we would want a bedroom unit added.
We use the outside galley all the time, but when we got it, it had no ventilation, and the stove rusted up pretty bad. Some good vent holes solved that problem.
Good luck, I think you will love it!
You may also want to check out The Outback Owners Forum
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
We love our 312bh. The price on yours is high, especially used. Ours was 23k new from Pete's rv
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have an outback 295RE we bought new in 2010. Have logged over 30K miles with it, camp in it at least 90 days each year, often with two grandkids and DD, SIL.

Overall, it has held up very well. everything still looks almost like new, have had zip troubles with it, no repairs. We did do some upgrades based on our camping needs and desires.

the ONE thing we did toss pretty quick was the original mattress. probably no different than any TT mattress. NOt to our liking, and given how many days we use it, we installed an Air Dream air over coil spring mattress like in our sofa sleeper.

Tows very nice, IMHO whomever did the design either (a) is a camper or (bO ran it by campers since things are useable.
Even with the dual slides IN we can get to
sink, stove, microwave, fridge, dinette, bathroom, bedroom. We saw lots of trailers where one couldn't even get to the bathroom with the slides IN.

Easy to stop at a rest stop for lunch, rest, etc. OR in a few cases when we wanted to leave early in the AM, pull in the slides before bed and quick breakfast and we are on our way.

Is it a top of the line trailer?? No, but still very nice.

We've met many other outback owners and so far the majority have been very happy with the trailer.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
I've always liked the Outback. If I ever get another TT, would seriously look at those.

It looks like new prices are around 40k.