cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor rug

petey42
Explorer
Explorer
This first time camper would like to know what you folks prefer as a rug/carpet to put outside your camper door, I'm thinking about 7x10?
I have looked at a fold up plastic woven type at Walmart, and just a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. Any other suggestions or comments?
37 REPLIES 37

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Woven! I will be getting one this year. an indoor/outdoor will kill grass! I`ve been to many campsites where the previous camper had left it for a week or more. then I have to position the trailer so that I`m not stepping out into mud!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one from Walmart. Priced at $48 for a 9 X 12.

Walmart oriental woven rug
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.carefreemats.com/all-products/

https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1677
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone post a picture or link of these plastic woven rugs? Please. ๐Ÿ™‚

Blair_s4
Explorer
Explorer
carefreemats.com
Dodge 2500 CTD
Salem 27DBUD

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well here was my solution to an outdoor mat. I got the idea from my dad who had one for his camper when I was growing up. I used pressure treated lumber and that outdoor carpet. Here are the pics, they are slef explanatory. They "Mat" also aids in another step. It is made to the same dimensions of my truck bed, so the longbed guys could have a larger one.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
boosTT , And your experience with both materials is???

I have and use โ€œreal RV matsโ€ I have had mats that I guess are not real R V mats that have held up even betterโ€ฆ they were bought from dog supply houses are made of the same materials as the REAL RV MATS, but are not associated with RV marketing so are sold in different sizes and often cheaperโ€ฆ sometimes a lot cheaperโ€ฆ.......

X100!

I show dogs and I still laugh as I walk by the vendor booths that has the 'dog' mats for sale! :B

They ARE the same as so called 'RV' mats and ARE sooo much cheaper simply because they don't have the added label that the manuf puts on the package that says RV on it when they sell them in the camping stores!! And actually some of them are made much more sturdier too. And in different sizes as you mentioned.

When showing dogs I do use the RV/Dog mats exclusively because there is so much people and dog traffic and goings on outside my MH concentrated within a weekend. And unlike a CG I am able to wash them on my site when preparing to leave.

Because I carry so many of them when going to the shows they are carried on a cargo carrier attached to my toad out of the way and they can finish drying there if needed.

So, folks if you want to buy 'RV' mats at half the price, come on down to your local dog show and pick one up!

And you will find vendor booths with all things RV too. Most of us have MH's and when on the circuit we are always in need of something for them and the vendors know that and keep us supplied!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both our PUP and our TT have that green grassy looking indoor/ourdoor carpeting the size of the awning.

When it gets dirty, we hang it on the clothes line and hose it down.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both our PUP and our TT have that green grassy looking indoor/ourdoor carpeting the size of the awning.

When it gets dirty, we hang it on the cloths line and hose it down.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
since I also used the term cheap out, "don't cheap out. get a decent one that won't kill the grass and isn't a soggy mess after a rain." I am referring to that cheapest of cheap indoor outdoor green fake grass carpet. and yes, I have used it on patios etc. and it gets dreadful, but no I have not used it in campgrounds since I bought a decent outdoor patio rug for that.
bumpy

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:

I have and use โ€œreal RV matsโ€ I have had mats that I guess are not real R V mats that have held up even betterโ€ฆ they were bought from dog supply houses are made of the same materials as the REAL RV MATS, but are not associated with RV marketing so are sold in different sizes and often cheaperโ€ฆ sometimes a lot cheaperโ€ฆ

As far as price, it has never been a determining factor in how long they lastโ€ฆ so I donโ€™t know about the cheap out, and REAL RV MAT comments, other than being misguided knowledge โ€ฆ

While I donโ€™t share rockhillmanors dislike of the RV mats and think they do work well, stay clean and dry quickly and transport well, they are not the only choice we haveโ€ฆ
There are situations where I like the mat better, like I will take them to the beach where they excelโ€ฆ
The shade cloth is very light weight but will do everything the mat will do as a ground cover and do it just as well as the mats doโ€ฆ but the shade cloth can last several times longer even though it is so much lighterโ€ฆ
Because of its light weight it takes more to stake it down and might be easier to trip on if not staked tight enough or weighted in more placesโ€ฆ still I find it preferable in most placesโ€ฆ that is why I have and carry both typesโ€ฆ

Both can be slippery, I doubt there is much difference thereโ€ฆ and in a hard rain water that will pond under the mat will pond under the shade cloth toโ€ฆ sand falls through both but the mat being thicker just holds a bit more but it just takes a few shakes and its outโ€ฆ couldnโ€™t be any easierโ€ฆ

I tried using stuff from home depo for about 10 years. I didn't realize what I was missing out on. The RV mats are not only great material, but have heavy duty stitching, rubber backing, the edges are folded over, they have eyelid, etc. The weight alone of an real rv mat is a huge difference. They don't bunch up or blow over like the cheap stuff does.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 8x20' that reaches across both of my entry doors. Than I added another 9x12' that I extend from that mat to my screen room I use around the picnic table. The larger was $65 at a local RV show. The second was $50 from Walmart. 3x more than "outdoor carpet"? Sure. But still pocket changed for all the other RV related expenses and far more convenient for cleanup.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer

I have and use โ€œreal RV matsโ€ I have had mats that I guess are not real R V mats that have held up even betterโ€ฆ they were bought from dog supply houses are made of the same materials as the REAL RV MATS, but are not associated with RV marketing so are sold in different sizes and often cheaperโ€ฆ sometimes a lot cheaperโ€ฆ

As far as price, it has never been a determining factor in how long they lastโ€ฆ so I donโ€™t know about the cheap out, and REAL RV MAT comments, other than being misguided knowledge โ€ฆ

While I donโ€™t share rockhillmanors dislike of the RV mats and think they do work well, stay clean and dry quickly and transport well, they are not the only choice we haveโ€ฆ
There are situations where I like the mat better, like I will take them to the beach where they excelโ€ฆ
The shade cloth is very light weight but will do everything the mat will do as a ground cover and do it just as well as the mats doโ€ฆ but the shade cloth can last several times longer even though it is so much lighterโ€ฆ
Because of its light weight it takes more to stake it down and might be easier to trip on if not staked tight enough or weighted in more placesโ€ฆ still I find it preferable in most placesโ€ฆ that is why I have and carry both typesโ€ฆ

Both can be slippery, I doubt there is much difference thereโ€ฆ and in a hard rain water that will pond under the mat will pond under the shade cloth toโ€ฆ sand falls through both but the mat being thicker just holds a bit more but it just takes a few shakes and its outโ€ฆ couldnโ€™t be any easierโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 7x10 piece of astroturf like carpet from Menards, cost maybe $15 ... I only use it when I'm staying somewhere more than a few days and have to park in mud. if the site is grass or paved, the carpet stays put away.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed