cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking the right camper for my 1500 series GMC pickup...

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
Truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra Extended Cab, 6'6"bed, 4x4, 5.3L, Automatic Trans., with tow/haul package. Truck is factory stock, no modifications.

Sticker in glove box says weight of slide-in camper should not exceed 601 pounds. I guess they don't recommend hauling a TC, because I don't know of any that weigh less than 600 pounds.

With that being said, manufacturers of campers build campers that they say are for 1/2 ton, short bed trucks. Also, a couple summers ago I hauled a mid-80's Lance Camper and my truck hauled it just fine.

My question is, what is the real world size of camper I should be looking for? With tailgate down my bed is 8' from front to end of tailgate and I really don't want to extend beyond the tailgate in case I want to pull a small boat or PWC.

Thanks for your input.
32 REPLIES 32

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want a 'stripped' camper. I think Four Wheel still sells a 'shell' model.

I doesn't have much but a couch and bed. You get to use it that way or add options/DIY stuff.

Four Wheel also used to have a delivery program. IIRC
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, the comments of; “you can’t do this, and it won’t fit and it won’t stop.” All valid for something that is in excess for a half ton truck. But maybe his question is valid, “What will fit on a ½ ton?” I see them often, the small campers on the lighter trucks. Whether Domestic ½ tons or the foreign Nissan and Toyota trucks. Especially in the southwest.

It seems the most common TCs I see are Camp Lite or Travel Lite. You might check with them and see what they have that meets your needs. Of course you are going to be very limited in what they have. But that would be the same comment from someone that has a Motorhome when comparing what they have to a truck camper. It all works for different needs and wants.

By the way, welcome to the Truck Camper Forum!

b

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wvabeer wrote:

I searched for the max load limit for my 1/2 ton rear axle and with heavy rated tires and rims 3200lb each I am going to hover around that limit 4800lb.

When I researched this in 2010 I found the F 150 rear axles to be:

8.8" semi-float rear axle (F150)
weight = 167#
GAWR = 3800#

9.75" semi-float rear axle (F150)
weight = 229#
GAWR = 4500#

These are the actual weight ratings for the axles without the hindrance of springs, tires and wheels.

I wouldn't imagine you would have the 8.8 so your "hover" is pretty close.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Hang a dually rear axle assembly under that 1500 and you are good for even the largest truck campers. After all, rear axle capacity is all that really matters. (To some)

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
i5trucker wrote:
Thanks everyone. I understand weights and load limits, I am a trucker and I deal with that stuff everyday, but yet I see Ford Rangers and Toyota Tacomas with campers on them. I am looking for the most basic camper, a stove, small fridge, and a bed are really I need. I don't even want one with a bathroom. I also understand tires and their limits, I worked for Goodyear for several years. It seems like if I follow GMC's load limits, I would be overloaded just making a Costco run. Why do they classify it as a 1/2 ton truck if they want you to haul a little over 1/4 ton? lol.

I searched for the max load limit for my 1/2 ton rear axle and with heavy rated tires and rims 3200lb each I am going to hover around that limit 4800lb.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
i5trucker wrote:
Thanks everyone. I understand weights and load limits, I am a trucker and I deal with that stuff everyday, but yet I see Ford Rangers and Toyota Tacomas with campers on them. I am looking for the most basic camper, a stove, small fridge, and a bed are really I need. I don't even want one with a bathroom. I also understand tires and their limits, I worked for Goodyear for several years. It seems like if I follow GMC's load limits, I would be overloaded just making a Costco run. Why do they classify it as a 1/2 ton truck if they want you to haul a little over 1/4 ton? lol.

I searched for the max load limit for my 1/2 ton rear axle and with heavy rated tires and rims 3200lb each I am going to hover around that limit.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
i5trucker wrote:

If you want a no-frills camper without a bathroom, you have lots of choices. As an example, Four Wheel Campers (among others) makes extremely lightweight campers that will be no problem for your 1500.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Listening to the horror stories is always amusing, like the puddle of ATF under a 1500 truck.
The last large puddle of ATF I had under a truck was under a F350 DRW .....proving noting.

You don't get it that the increased load and wind resistance of a camper has a negative impact on a vehicle's components? This particular 1500 had no towing options or coolers installed. Glad that you thought it was amusing.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Capri campers if you are willing to get by with just the basics.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like if I follow GMC's load limits, I would be overloaded just making a Costco run. Why do they classify it as a 1/2 ton truck if they want you to haul a little over 1/4 ton? lol.

Like lawrosa says just stay under the trucks FAWR/RAWR , especially the rear axle as its gonna' carry the load, and you won't have any issues.
Listening to the horror stories is always amusing, like the puddle of ATF under a 1500 truck.
The last large puddle of ATF I had under a truck was under a F350 DRW .....proving noting.

Our 1/2 ton trucks come in all sizes from 6xxx GVWR with 3600 lb RAWR on up to 8600 GVWR with 6000 RAWR/E tires and wheels/3000 lb payloads and 10k+ lb tow ratings. More of a variety than any other size pickup truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
If your a trucker then you will know to get the truck weighed as I stated earlier...

Then go by axle weights...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i carried a 1500 lb. camper load on my 03 f150 for 3 seasons with just airbags. it handled it ok. you could tell it was ther but it was manageable.i also pulled a 2000 lb. boat as well.it did have 4 wheel discs though.i did wear out the crappy ifs 3 times over the 10 years i had it.i just learned to manage speed and distance to the vehicle in front while highway travelling.it will wear out your truck faster than normal,but it also gives you a reason to buy a new one,like i did.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The second thing that I did not like about hauling a 1,200 pound Shadow Cruiser pop up was the puddle of transmission fluid underneath my Silverado 1500. The first and worst thing was the unstable feeling going down the highway.