cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Point to ponder, hornets nest stir

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped by our old RV dealer today to speak w/ a person there and off course off today. So struck up a conversation w/ a sales lady about their take on today's SRW trucks and what the mfr's of them are saying about towing and what the RV dealer recommends. Well it seems the RV dealer is saying that you really don't need a DRW for 5ers unless your doing a lot of cross country driving. Being a lil surprised, I asked even tho the GVW of the 5er is pushing 15,5 and up, pin weights of 3500 and up? Reply back was, "depends on weight capacity of the truck".

Sigh.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
50 REPLIES 50

blt2ski
Chris,

Ive not had any problem with my IHC with 225's on it! Like LT tires, some do have a stiffer ride than others, depending upon the case construction. It is an option that nets full capacity, to FBL tread limits, some are even a bit more than FBL width amounts.

At the end of the day, tires are available, whether we as consumers want them on a given rig or not is another story.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
Now that I think this thru a bit, there's no SWv19.5s mad in mass right now. Rims would be an issue with this option. Everything else should be an easy put together. Assuming a steel wheel option, should not be too hard. Outer rim is same as a dw. Need the center part designed, weld to outer rim...
Aluminum, would be another issue.

Marty

And we all know what a smooth ride the 19.5'a at that rating supply, not!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blt2ski
Now that I think this thru a bit, there's no SWv19.5s mad in mass right now. Rims would be an issue with this option. Everything else should be an easy put together. Assuming a steel wheel option, should not be too hard. Outer rim is same as a dw. Need the center part designed, weld to outer rim...
Aluminum, would be another issue.

Marty

blt2ski
Jim,
The guy is full of sheet! 265-70-19.5 lrG will net you iir 5000-5500 per tire. Iirc their is a 285 too. Closer to 5500 yet! Granted you would have to go to a 10 lug setup to have "EASY" access to tires. Those are 33-35" or so in diam. A 245 shy of 5000 iirc, is 32.5", 225s 31.5", 4100?!?!? Lbs capacity in lr g. Should go outside like at my IHC...
So assuming you can build a 10-11k RA, 6K FA, talking class 4 truck with singles. If you can get an 8' put on it, great rig for the 12' slide campers, larger 5W setups.
It can be done now. I can see where rim manufactures in typical 8 lug class 3 sizes could be screwed. This would not, nor should it be a 35 series or smaller gvw. It's solid 45 series truck.

Marty

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My swag, the big three could easily come up with 7500-8500 grawr setups, have 500 min more lbs of payload than an equal dw setup. My 286 65 18 tires on my 1500 are close to 4000 per tire. A 305 or 315 should put one over 8000.

Marty

Last winter I checked in on one of the Dodge/Ram diesel forums where one forum member does a talk with a Ram engineer topic every so often.
The very question came up why doesn't Ram uprate their 3500 srw 11.5" AAM rawr to 7.8k-8k + lbs.
Engineer covered a few reasons but the main one being new OEM uprated wheels (load and diameter) would have to be mfg'ed and the tire industry would have to come up with tire lines to meet 4k-4.5k tire diameter and load ratings/psi rating and possible a F load range for the new OEM wheels.

GM may be the first to upgrade their 3500 srw to the 8k +/- range. They sure made a good move on the 10500 rawr on their drw trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blt2ski
MFL wrote:
Marty said: "Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Was a good question...Grit will be along to apologize pretty soon, nothing wrong with that! I would, if I ever offended someone unnecessarily. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

He hasn't apologized yrt6!
I'll leave him in the Perverbial dog house in the mean time.

My swag, the big three could easily come up with 7500-8500 grawr setups, have 500 min more lbs of payload than an equal dw setup. My 286 65 18 tires on my 1500 are close to 4000 per tire. A 305 or 315 should put one over 8000.

Marty

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Marty said: "Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Was a good question...Grit will be along to apologize pretty soon, nothing wrong with that! I would, if I ever offended someone unnecessarily. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^ Yup, Chris should know Ford has the higher than 7K rating, since he has left the Mafia brand, and joined the blue oval club!

Even in 2013, you could get a F350 SRW with RAWR 7,280!

Jerry

^^ my 2020 has a RAWR of 7240
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
What if it was a front tire?

Fair question.....
Having made a living with SRW and drw LDTs pulling 15k to 22k GN/pintle trailers or 10k-12k bumper pull enclosed trailers I had my share of actual blowouts on both size trucks....front and rear.
A actual blowout or run flat on the rear of either truck simply wasn't that big of a deal even with a heavy fully loaded 22k gross weight trailer pushing the back end around. Good trailer braking kept the combo going straight till shutdown.

Front tire blowout ??? Now that is serious with a heavy trailer back there pushing the back of the truck one way then another even with good trailer braking.

time2roll is on a roll! 2 fish with one cast!
Remember, he's not thinking in practical, probable, real world terms...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:

I'll answer your question with a question...
What if you could actually add meaningful content when you post?

But to be fair, and not where you were going with your question, stock for stock, a srw has significantly higher front tire weight ratings than a dually where the front tires are closer to being maxxed out.

Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Having had one or two front blow outs, those are way worst than rear blow outs, be it a single or dual. I've had more dw blow outs than singles!

Reality, the safety factor of a dual vs single is only in the drivers brain. Otherwise there is no difference in any test I've seen, etc.

Reality, a super wide single is better option than duals. Less overall wieght per corner, better mpg, braking etc.

In the dot class 3 truck world, singles vs duals have a couple tiny better advantages. Overall, same gawr v gawr, the single is afraid of the game.

Marty

Bait cast, hook set, fish on!

(It was a leading question, to aimlessly refute the safety net of a dual rear wheel when only a single front is available.)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:
Are there any SRW with more that a rear axle rating of 7,000 lbs?

I see many SRW trucks towing large trailers that I know have put the trailer over the truck rear axle/tire ratings.

Not really (without checking every truck spec) as the rawr limitations on srw 1 tons (and 3/4 tons for that matter...here we go! lol) are generally/historically limited by wheel/rim ratings of 3500lbs ish per wheel.
Bout every full floating axle out there is good for a minimum of 9klbs up to generally 10klbs or more.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are there any SRW with more that a rear axle rating of 7,000 lbs? When I towed a large 16K fifth wheel, I picked one with a 2435 dry pin weight. Which I verified when the manufacturer. Loaded for snowbirding/full timing for two years. My rear axle scaled weight was 6750 with a 7,000 RGAWR. Truck was a 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie with the heavier Aisin tranny. No generator or W/D in the trailer.

I see many SRW trucks towing large trailers that I know have put the trailer over the truck rear axle/tire ratings.

My combined weight was 24,500 lbs.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:

I'll answer your question with a question...
What if you could actually add meaningful content when you post?

But to be fair, and not where you were going with your question, stock for stock, a srw has significantly higher front tire weight ratings than a dually where the front tires are closer to being maxxed out.

Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Having had one or two front blow outs, those are way worst than rear blow outs, be it a single or dual. I've had more dw blow outs than singles!

Reality, the safety factor of a dual vs single is only in the drivers brain. Otherwise there is no difference in any test I've seen, etc.

Reality, a super wide single is better option than duals. Less overall wieght per corner, better mpg, braking etc.

In the dot class 3 truck world, singles vs duals have a couple tiny better advantages. Overall, same gawr v gawr, the single is afraid of the game.

Marty

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Fair question.....
Having made a living with SRW and drw LDTs pulling 15k to 22k GN/pintle trailers or 10k-12k bumper pull enclosed trailers I had my share of actual blowouts on both size trucks....front and rear.
A actual blowout or run flat on the rear of either truck simply wasn't that big of a deal even with a heavy fully loaded 22k gross weight trailer pushing the back end around. Good trailer braking kept the combo going straight till shutdown.

Front tire blowout ??? Now that is serious with a heavy trailer back there pushing the back of the truck one way then another even with good trailer braking.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides