cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheel Hitch - tried searcing

EricCO
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure this has been asked but I could not find with a search.

Want to put a fifth wheel hitch in bed that is easy to remove so I can drop truck camper in it when we want to use truck camper. Looks like the mounting rails are bolted to bed so that probably doesn't seem too easy to remove without wrenching on it.

Anything like what I'm needing exist out there?
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
17 REPLIES 17

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
For a couple of truck campers I had a reese 5th wheel hitch in bed that left the rails down.
One one camper I used 2x3's screwed to the camper floor so it would ride in bed and not hit the rails.
On another camper I used 2x 3/4" plywood spacers I built that would lay in front of, between and behind the rails to support camper. I would throw then into truck instead of screwing them to camper floor than throw rubber mat over it.
than I got a 2015 Ram which had the factory hitch pucks mounted in the bed, that allowed the bed to be flat when I removed the hitch.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
B&W turn over. I have had 2 different B&W fiver hitches. Both leave the bed clean and smooth. Zero issues with them.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Half of you are missing the point.

OP is not worried about taking the hitch out of the truck.

OP is concerned about the rails that are left installed on the bed floor after the hitch is removed.

Not all 5th wheels are designed that way.

Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch in combination with a turnover ball style gooseneck hitch also leaves your bed open, like the suggestions of the other half of the people responding to this thread.

Didn't miss his point. Our hitch, TrailerSave BD3, removes completely, and easily, leaving the flat bottom of the bed, no rails. Attaches to the puck system.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Half of you are missing the point.

OP is not worried about taking the hitch out of the truck.

OP is concerned about the rails that are left installed on the bed floor after the hitch is removed.

Not all 5th wheels are designed that way.

Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch in combination with a turnover ball style gooseneck hitch also leaves your bed open, like the suggestions of the other half of the people responding to this thread.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your truck doesn't have the factory puck system, I would get a B&W Turnover gooseneck ball installed. If your 5th wheel is under say 15,000# I would go with the Andersen Ultimate or a PullRite 2600 Single Point. But Lippert who makes 90% of 5th wheel frames will not warranty any frame damage with a Andersen or the PullRite 2600.
The other choices are a GEN Y gooseneck hitch, Lippert won't warranty with that either.
The one I have is the Reese Goosebox. It IS warrantied by Lippert, since Lippert owns Reese. I love it. Has an air bag and 2 shock absorbers. Best ride I've had with 3 different 5th's and 3 different hitches. Un-hook from the 5th and all that is in the truck bed is the ball. Mine removes in about 2 seconds.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
There are two-part hitches where the hitch head and cradle separate to make them lighter. Anderson fifth wheel hitches are lighter but some people feel they are not up to the task.

If your truck has pucks or a gooseneck to mount a hitch, you have almost a flat surface and not much to push up on the under side of the camper. If you have to install rails, you will need to build up the bed surface to those rails before loading the camper.

Just leave the hitch connected to the trailer and lift the front of the trailer. No need to break it down. It can easily support the hitch weight (just make sure to lock it, so someone doesn't accidentally release it and drop it on their foot).

But I think the OP is talking about the bed rails.
- If you get the puck system, there are no rails.
- You can cut plywood of the same height to fit around the rails.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I had to buy a newer truck to get that. didn't make anything for my older ford back then. but ya a normal hitch bolts to the fram through your bed and you cant take it out easy at all. like has been sugested see if anyone makes a under bed conversion for your truck. it will basicly convert you to something like the puck mounted systems the new trucks have. with the ford puck system it takes me 5 min to take my hitch out and be left with a flat bed ready for my camper.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 is removable in several parts and attaches to a puck system. When removed, you're left with a flat truck bed.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
Reese Elite series is another. I used one for years, a rubber bed mat gave enough additional height to clear the pucks.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had our 5th wheel, we were going to purchase a nice B&W hitch. When we discovered how heavy and awkward they were to move we compromised. Not fond of the Anderson for various reasons, so we purchased a hitch similar to this. It's a two piece hitch that disassembles easily by just pulling a couple pins. The top and bottom assemblies each weigh about 40-45 lbs. each. Very manageable.

To clear the mounting rails with your truck camper, you may consider using 1 or 2 sheets of plywood with portions cut-out to clear an opening for the mounting rails.

bolljl
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had truck camper and 5th wheel with bolted down mounting rails. I added Plywood between the rails.
Used chain host to remove Air Hitch (250lbs)
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually 4X4 CUMMINS
2013 Lifestyle LS35SB, MORryde IS System
AIRSAFE, Air Hitch

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
If I had to do it all over again I would go under-mount gooseneck for sure. No bed to create for the camper, which also adds height.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I just put down some 2X4's and put the TC down on them..Cleared the FW rails perfectly never slipping..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Get an under mount gooseneck hitch and then either an Anderson or b&w companion fifth wheel for it. The b&w isn’t light weight but is a superior hitch.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley