cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor man's build-in generator for long box AF865/811(?)

Manwithoutoptio
Explorer
Explorer
It turns out there is a generator(A generic chinese brand. Comes in many name in the states, earthquake, sportsman and homegear) that can fit in the long box of Arctic fox 865/811(?).

Pictures

I cut the bottom flap with a reciprocating saw into multiple pieces and just introduce metal fatigue with pliers by wiggling the extruded pieces, took out the generator covers, and cut the handles on the generators (probably not needed, but I was desperate to get it in). Then I cram it in panel side first upward and just turned it to face the start pull outside.

and there it is! nicely tucked inside the safety of my camper. 700W wont run the microwave/AC but my LiFePO4 battery/inverter can. It is just there for backup in case solar doesn't pan out. I cannot believe it worked out so well at the end.

It does need extra fan to assist combustion. But the generator does come with 12v and 5v. I will rig some 3dprinted part + brushless DC Fan and embed them into the door later.
14 REPLIES 14

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manwithoutoptions wrote:

I like it inside where it is safe and unexposed to the elements.
I mean, is that so difficult to understand? There is this lizard brain feel to have things inside.

You're a new member so I'll tell you that you have (accidentally or on purpose) stepped in one of the RV.NET piles of dog poo. Many battles have been fought over generators. Take my advise - let it go. PM me if you want the whole thread gone.

Believe me, you won't convince anyone here.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Manwithoutoptio
Explorer
Explorer
PR Connection wrote:
Ok.I guess here is the real question. After modifying the compartment so the genset will fit in there why not just pull it out start it and plug it in. As you said in your post “its just for back up in case the solar dont work out”.

I look at your pictures and all I ask myself is why? You still need to go out and start it, you still need to pull it out to fuel it, you still need to pull it out to service it, you still need to get out open the door and run an additional fan in front of the door.
What is the gain here?

The benefits of a built in genset are.
Uses same fuel as the coach (propane for a camper). No need to carry additional gas
You start it remotely inside
It’s tied to a transfer switch so you can back feed the outside shore power connection

Your installation has none of these benefits. Yes there are some big negatives to an onboard genset that campers use but none of those are safety negatives. They are approved,vented,and exhausted to prevent any potentials for loss of life.

Just some food for thought.

I like it inside where it is safe and unexposed to the elements.
I mean, is that so difficult to understand? There is this lizard brain feel to have things inside.

The factory install one...got a vent on the door. that is not very hard to DIY. you made it sound like they contact NASA for enginnering advice to maximize pilot survival. It just a dumb generator. It snuff itself out when there is no air. 85% of cause of death relating to generator is carbon monoxide poisoning. It is at the safest place possible.

And I can make it better. I make it vent downward to a chute. Just because people charge you 1000% markup for something doesn't mean they know exactly what they are doing.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, there’s one big benefit, he’s got somewhere to put the thing!
I suppose at $150 one of those sets can be considered a throwaway.

I’ve seen portable generators in truck campers that were on a slide-out tray. That seems the slickest way to do it. It would require a little camper surgery on yours to install a taller access hatch, if that’s feasible. I’d still be a little leery of using it that close to the camper if I had the A/C on and windows shut. Maybe if I had the windows open and some breeze, otherwise I like it just a little further away. I might be overthinking it but I don’t wanna wake up dead.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

PR_Connection
Explorer
Explorer
You bet Kayteg1. That too!!!
2019 Arctic Fox 990 🙂
Fully loaded!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PR Connection wrote:

Uses same fuel as the coach (propane for a camper). No need to carry additional gas
It’s tied to a transfer switch so you can back feed the outside shore power connection

You forgot the safety-design exhaust that will not kill you. (you still should observe wind direction)

PR_Connection
Explorer
Explorer
Ok.I guess here is the real question. After modifying the compartment so the genset will fit in there why not just pull it out start it and plug it in. As you said in your post “its just for back up in case the solar dont work out”.

I look at your pictures and all I ask myself is why? You still need to go out and start it, you still need to pull it out to fuel it, you still need to pull it out to service it, you still need to get out open the door and run an additional fan in front of the door.
What is the gain here?

Your installation has none of these benefits. Yes there are some big negatives to an onboard genset that campers use but none of those are safety negatives. They are approved,vented,and exhausted to prevent any potentials for loss of life.

Just some food for thought.
2019 Arctic Fox 990 🙂
Fully loaded!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you are confusing inflation adjustment with value holding.
I can only compare it to my John Deere tractor/backhoe.
Bought it in Nebraska for $8k. Used semi-commercially and for my new house excavation for 8 years only to sell in California for $12k.
I consider $150 generator as a very good option when I don't need AC and extreme convenience of having small size that I can take anywhere, anytime.
Sure it takes 3 pulls to start, when my 12 years old Honda starts on 1st 90% of the time, but I bought my new Honda EU3000 new for $900. How much are they today?

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those things are pretty well known to be junk... I have one solid argument why Hondas are actually a bargain. I sold my 12-year-old well-worn pair of EU2000s - that still worked perfectly - for $700 each. Then bought myself a nice new pair for $900 each. (I believe they’ve gone up $100 each recently).
Twelve years later I got most of my money back for the Hondas. They really only cost me about $18 dollars a year each!!
Why would you run louder (forget the claimed specs, check out some real world tests), less reliable, good-luck-getting-parts junk when the good stuff is actually the better bargain?
The cheapo sets usually claim similar or slightly superior power output specs but they are being optimistic while the Hondas are conservative. The Hondas always outperform in real tests.

I’m just postung this because it’s one of the bigger “penny-wise, dollar-foolish” things truck campers are involved with. I don’t throw money at my camper. I just don’t like to throw my money away.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is reasonable to look at how factory generators are installed including what the floors look like and how they are vented. They also have remote fueling will hoses instead of tanks in the compartment. Gasoline vapors sink, for example.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There’s no “dirty” 12V power, it’s DC. It’s not ideal for charging only because it isn’t regulated to lower its voltage when it senses less load, like a “smart” charger does.

This generator install definitely needs an exhaust system. Sure it’s a generator compartment but the sets its designed for aren’t portables. Even if fumes aren’t an issue, heat will be.
With a fan and an exhaust I think it could work out fine.
Exhaust is tricky if you have to be able to easily remove the set to fuel it though.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are overlooking the fact that factory generators are design for RV, have powerful fans and regardless RV original design, all I have seen mounted on TC have additional exhaust pipe extensions.
Do you plan exhaust extension? We have lot of topics about fitting different generators and the Venturi exhaust going over the roof sure is good design.

Manwithoutoptio
Explorer
Explorer
Rather amusing to see you two would see fire or fume to be an issue. This room originally is suppose to be the generator room. However Northwood offer a long box version of these 2 campers to increase stability by sacrificing generator space. It just so happen that this particular generator is small enough to fit into the stunted room.

Hope this clear things up.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks close to the generator I bought at Home Depot sale for $150.
Mine is rated at 1000 W peak thought.
I would worry more about fumes than fire with camper mounting.
The generator 12V outlets usually deliver "dirty" power. Good for emergencies, but for everyday use, better get automatic charger.
For me the small generator is back-up as when I camp, I need to carry 3000W for AC.
Love the 20lb weight and small size. I keep it on the truck 2nd row floor most of the time. Can take it on boat as well.
That thing really sips fuel as I experienced when the house power went out for most of the day and it will run my smaller micro and coffee maker.(not at the same time)

PR_Connection
Explorer
Explorer
Did u install a fire extinguisher close by also.......you may need it
2019 Arctic Fox 990 🙂
Fully loaded!!!