Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible move from 5r to TT - question

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

The wife is still looking to replace our old Jazz, but she can't decide on whether she still wants a 5th-wheel or not. Lately, she's looking into TT's (which is fine with me because then I can take my motorcycle). However, she was looking at 5rs with washer/dryer hookups.

In looking at TT floorplans, I haven't seen any with W/D options -- is this not possible with a TT?

Sorry if this is a catastrophically misinformed question.

Thanks,
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------
18 REPLIES 18

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Our Open Range came plumbed and ready for a washer/dryer but at this point we still prefer the extra cabinet. As far as handling, a TT is different from a 5er but definitely not more difficult. Not trying to change you or your wife's mind but you can use one of the small trailers that actually attach to the back of the 5er to load your motorcycle on. I chose the TT simply because it has fewer steps for my old knees to climb.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
ed6713 wrote:
Maneuvering/parking a TT is a whole lot more difficult then a fiver of comparable, or even longer, length.

Check the tow rating of your TV for a trailer vs a fiver.

Bad info, nothing harder about it just different

I agree !! I much prefer the TT over a 5th w and I have a 40 ft 5th w
samsontdog:o:W

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco Eagle TT 338RETS & 338RLTS both have stacked laundry option in the bedroom wardrobe. But, them thar is some looong trailers at 39', 9195 'empty' weight, 1195 tongue weight ( a giant bite out of truck payload for a 3/4 ton), and a ccc of 1755 lbs.

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and find the TT to be a little more predictable when backing. I could jackknife the fiver when necessary (never was) but find the TT just as easy to maneuver. There were times when maneuvering my fifth wheel that it did not seem to respond to wheel input and then it went a long way. Hard to explain and both are easy with a little practice.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
ed6713 wrote:
Maneuvering/parking a TT is a whole lot more difficult then a fiver of comparable, or even longer, length.

I've owned and driven both. The turning radius on a fiver is significantly smaller then on a comparably sized TT. In a tight campground, or negotiating a real tight corner, that makes a huge difference.
The other big difference. When you back a TT, because the hitch is behind the bumper, you are limited to making an angle of about 60* between the front of the TT and the TV bumper or you will crush both the TT and the TV. With a fiver, that angle can be close to 90*. Hence the huge difference in maneuverability.
🙂

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Open Range Journeyer TT's, as mentioned above. I've seen a floor plan where you can put a W/D in the bathroom.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
There will be less living space in a TT.

8 ft X 30 ft = 240 sq ft. Fivers have advantages as do travel trailers but square feet are square feet regardless of how they are attached to the tow vehicle. Some prefer the split level of the fiver, some hate all the extra steps.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Floor square footage is all that matters.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip about maneuvering, I'll keep that one in mind!
Thanks also to the pointers to w/d prepped TTs!

This isn't a "done deal", I can't get her to decide on WHAT she wants at this point! And if she isn't happy . . .
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer

🙂

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I may be mistaken but I think the larger Jayco models like the 338 rets have the option of a laundry in the front storage area. That is an area that is lacking although I know I have seen some trailers with them.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
No, Wait, Found Them!!! Open Range Journeyer . Good Luck!!!
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours