cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems found on a new trailer

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned 3 FW and now a pop up, all used. We are thinking about getting a new trailer. Not sure yet if we want a TT or 5er. I've read a lot of post on here about people having to take them back for warranty repairs but was wondering what kind of problems do most of y'all find with new campers.
24 REPLIES 24

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2016 Grand Design Reflections 313RLTS. It's the make, model, floor plan, size, and even color that we wanted. It is in near-showroom shape (front cap has some scuffs from run in with some tree branches). Other than that it's great. I went over it with a fine tooth comb one Sunday at the dealership. Even brought my own Sherline tongue weight scale to verify numbers. There wasn't a thing wrong with it. The trailer must have been built on a Tuesday or a Wednesday because everything fits, works, slides, stops, rolls, and squats just like it's supposed to.

And I saved $21,000 by buying it instead of new. I bought it for $29,000 +++

Now the ones that might have been built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon may have been another story altogether, but this one of mine is built perfect.

My point is it all comes down not just to the company, but the pride in workmanship of the person signing off on that QA slip.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
RinconVTR wrote:
New or used...they all have problems. Always have.

I own a Grand Design unit, touted to be one of the highest quality builds out there. They are not! Same issues as other new units.

New trailers are pieced and slammed together as fast as possibly, no matter what the brand name states, using the many of the same major components. Often its the components that fail, not always a build quality issues caused by the name on the trailer.

What you pay for buying new, is getting an unmodified trailer with design and colors you personally prefer. (And of course no one else has lived in it!) Buy used if you want to save big money but compromise on your preferences and anal details.

I reluctantly agree. I always buy new but I'm an 'informed buyer (like Ralph) who goes over any unit I'm about to buy with my hard earned money.. no exceptions.

I haven't an issue buying used and a new mattress (than no one slept on) is a cheap date.

I buy 'em new and keep them for years. Last unit I bought in 2002 and sold this summer. I bought this one last fall and it will be here at least 10 years.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Fresh water tank that fell out due to undersized supports.

Scratched exterior aluminum trim.

Scratched windows.

Slideouts and slideout openings built out of square.

Screws over tightened and stripped throughout.

Water leaks in plumbing from the use of pex fittings and crimp rings on flexible tubing where barb fittings and hose clamps should of been used.

Water damage incurred during delivery between factory and dealer due to sloppy seal installation and sealant.

Razor cuts in vinyl floor.

Entry door out of alignment.

Seams pulling apart on upholstery.

Missing roof sealant.

Factory installed vent covers mashed into fresh sealant causing roof leaks.

Bent trim at slides and lower fascia.

Screws too long used on inside that pushed outside fiberglass out.

Loose electrical connections on shore power connection.

Staples shot into paneling with nothing behind.

Peeling vinyl wall covering.

Schwintek slide racks installed crooked resulting in binding.

Interior caulking done by 3 yr olds.

Loose traps at sink drains that leak.

Peeling laminate at counter top edges.

Warped dinette table.

All of the above, and more, on an ordered unit when it arrived at the dealer which we refused to purchase after a 12 week wait. Undoubtedly the dealer pawned it off on some other sucker.

Geeze Ralph, no wonder you don't like the n'other forum'. Understandable...lol

I must be very, very lucky, I also ordered mine and picked it up from a dealer not local to me and have had absolutely no issues at all. No stripped screws, no wonky trim, no leaks, everything works fine and everything actually lines up.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fresh water tank that fell out due to undersized supports.

Scratched exterior aluminum trim.

Scratched windows.

Slideouts and slideout openings built out of square.

Screws over tightened and stripped throughout.

Water leaks in plumbing from the use of pex fittings and crimp rings on flexible tubing where barb fittings and hose clamps should of been used.

Water damage incurred during delivery between factory and dealer due to sloppy seal installation and sealant.

Razor cuts in vinyl floor.

Entry door out of alignment.

Seams pulling apart on upholstery.

Missing roof sealant.

Factory installed vent covers mashed into fresh sealant causing roof leaks.

Bent trim at slides and lower fascia.

Screws too long used on inside that pushed outside fiberglass out.

Loose electrical connections on shore power connection.

Staples shot into paneling with nothing behind.

Peeling vinyl wall covering.

Schwintek slide racks installed crooked resulting in binding.

Interior caulking done by 3 yr olds.

Loose traps at sink drains that leak.

Peeling laminate at counter top edges.

Warped dinette table.

All of the above, and more, on an ordered unit when it arrived at the dealer which we refused to purchase after a 12 week wait. Undoubtedly the dealer pawned it off on some other sucker.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
New or used...they all have problems. Always have.

I own a Grand Design unit, touted to be one of the highest quality builds out there. They are not! Same issues as other new units.

New trailers are pieced and slammed together as fast as possibly, no matter what the brand name states, using the many of the same major components. Often its the components that fail, not always a build quality issues caused by the name on the trailer.

What you pay for buying new, is getting an unmodified trailer with design and colors you personally prefer. (And of course no one else has lived in it!) Buy used if you want to save big money but compromise on your preferences and anal details.

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
What azdryheat said, buy slightly used with most of the bugs worked out. Back in 2012 I bought a brand new class C and had 5 pages of problems, It went back to the factory 3 times after I spent 40 hours fixing all kinds of problems. The factory just puts band aids on it, after that I sold it. Never new again!

I bought my Clipper slightly used and saved a bundle on money and problems. But no matter what you buy expect the unexpected!
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Stripped screws
Mis-alligned drawer fronts and cabinet doors
Ripple in floor vinyl
blemishes on cabinets and ceilings
probably a lot more I've forgotten about..

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Let me see, where do I start?

Fresh water tank drain valve pipe connection leaking.
Fresh water hose kinked at 90 degrees on the outlet side of the pump.
Check valve in the black tank flush line installed backwards.
Stripped screw holes for cabinet door hinges.
Calking not covering many screws anchoring the trim anchoring the rubber roof.
The self tapping screw anchoring the ground wire to the trailer frame broken off.
Screws anchoring roof ladder not completely seated and a couple of screw holes stripped out.
Cabinet drawer slides attached with only one screw on each end of slides leading to misalignment of the slides.
The trailer frame was welded on after the plastic underbelly seal was installed which melted enough away to expose the fiberglass batting insulation.

This and more on my 2016 ARCTIC FOX 25R TT.

Our 2006 Sunline 2075 TT was flawless with quality craftsmanship through out. Served us well for nine years until we wanted a little more room.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
They all have problems of one sort or another. My Voltage had an air conditioner that didn't deliver cold air. During manufacture, the duct work under the a/c wasn't vacuumed of sawdust and the metal taping didn't stick thus all the cold air went into the ceiling instead of the ducts. That's just one problem. This forum, and others, have many threads to tell you more. Best bet is never buy new, instead buy a slightly used RV, one that's had the bugs worked out.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Fireman286 wrote:
We have owned 3 FW and now a pop up, all used. We are thinking about getting a new trailer. Not sure yet if we want a TT or 5er. I've read a lot of post on here about people having to take them back for warranty repairs but was wondering what kind of problems do most of y'all find with new campers.

Drawers, doors and I had a water heater problem but small local shop was great to work with. When they are small local they cant treat people as disposable.