cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Tank - Metal Exterior Compartment

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pre-planning. I can't find what I'm looking for online or in the RV Parts catalogues typically offered free from RV Parts departments. Maybe you all know where I can find this part?

It is an exterior access propane tank storage compartment typically found on truck campers. My pop-up had a single 20LB tank and the compartment fit it perfect. Door swung open to the side, not up or down like a storage compartment or a water heater. It was a sheet metal box, and included a tank mounting system, vented door, hole for the gas line to exit, etc.

For truck campers they typically make them for a single tank, twin tanks, or horizontal tanks. I'd like to check cutout sizes for both single or twin vertical 20lb bottle(s)

Anybody know a supplier? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

artfd
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome. My old camper had the refrigerator located directly above the dual propane tank compartment, both hung out over the edge of the pickup bed, to minimize encroachment into the camper's interior space.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artfd: If you're suggesting I could take this I appreciate your kindness. I had hoped for twin vertical 20 lbs tanks but it's looking like my project will require I use the original single horizontal after all. Not a lot of room to work with on an 8' camper. Thank you much.

artfd
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of dismantling my wrecked truck camper, has a dual bottle propane box on the side, with vents cut & lines still in place. Within a few days I will be ripping it out & taking it to the recycler. It carried 2 vertical 20-lb bottles.
I lost the original door within 2 days of buying this, have been using a simple 1x4 piece of redwood as a railing to keep the bottles in place. It also made shutting the gas off at the bottle real easy.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
If all else fails, you might try to contact one of the TC manufacturers for assistance. My Outfitter has a custom-made metal compartment that (I think) fits your description, with a simple rectangular frame door. I don't know who made it, but I amsure they can tell you if you give them a call.

You can see the door in this picture:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HbR_ecbhi6I/TmfCvJyEZoI/AAAAAAAAAEc/ob0IKjuTgsw/w800-h600-no/Brit...

The inside is plain metal.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
All good ideas. Thanks for the help.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go directly to the closest RV dealer or manufacturer and buy the box from them and do your own install.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Alschott
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to try a pre-fab electrical box that's deep enough for the tanks. They tend to be costly, but literally bomb proof.
My camper propane box is "homemade", the factory made their own. It has one pipe offset to allow make-up air to come in, and one "drain" pipe to allow propane flumes to go out. I'd say the thickness is about that of a heating duct. I'd check with a sheet metal fabricator/heating contractor to see if they would help in making one.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
There's a company at www.all-rite.com that sells all kinds of doors.
Joe and Evelyn

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, I understand what you are describing but can't say that I've seen one that is a standalone. I've always seen it fabbed as part of the truck camper.

If you are building your own rig you may just need to put one together out of pieces-parts. Shouldn't be too bad as long as you get the ventilation right.