cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank monitor

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
We made the switch from a motor home to a TT. The motor home had a propane tank monitor along with the tank and battery monitor. With the TT we have no way of knowing how much propane we have left. I have searched for some kind of monitor for the tanks but can't find one. How do you know how much propane you have?
25 REPLIES 25

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I, like some of the others, only open one tank at a time. Having running slap out one cold night from not checking the "red - green thingy", I like knowing that I have more when one runs out.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
pugslyyy wrote:
I don't like using the auto-changeover because I like knowing when I've drained a tank - and I'm not super diligent about checking that indicator to see if they switched automatically.

How do you not use the auto change over ?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Unfortunately the gauge Pine5008 posted won't do what you want. The problem is that a propane tank is liquid on the bottom and vapor on the top. RV's pull the vapor off the top and as the vapor comes off the top the liquid boils and releases more vapor to replace what was lost.

So the gauges that hook on the regulator will only tell you that you have pressure in the tank. The pressure will be the same whether you have a full tank, half tank, or 1/4 tank. Once the tank is empty the gauge will suddenly drop from full to empty. There really isn't much in between.

Thank you for sharing that. I was just looking at those gauges. I will just keep one tank shut off until the other is empty. Then when the furnace quits when it is rainy and cold my wife can send me out to switch tanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Unfortunately the gauge Pine5008 posted won't do what you want. The problem is that a propane tank is liquid on the bottom and vapor on the top. RV's pull the vapor off the top and as the vapor comes off the top the liquid boils and releases more vapor to replace what was lost.

So the gauges that hook on the regulator will only tell you that you have pressure in the tank. The pressure will be the same whether you have a full tank, half tank, or 1/4 tank. Once the tank is empty the gauge will suddenly drop from full to empty. There really isn't much in between.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like using the auto-changeover because I like knowing when I've drained a tank - and I'm not super diligent about checking that indicator to see if they switched automatically.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
They do make a stick-on propane tank sensor that should show the level. It was just a very few dollars and we decided to try it. DH is less than impressed.

Our problem is that we rarely run completely out of one tank and don't think about it until we're in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, we don't use a lot through most of the season. Right now we're at one trip this coming weekend that will require we use the furnace. Since we aren't heading toward the propane place between now and then, DH just swiped the extra one from the BBQ grill and straps it into the bed of the truck, just in case. In a normal season when we only use the furnace in early spring and fall, we can get through with just one tank.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
petendoll wrote:
Thanks Bisquit. I was confused about the red and green things and how they worked. I think until I get used to it I will close one tank valve until the other runs out. I will get an idea how long a single will last. I have two 30 pound tanks. I figure that is nearly as much propane as my motor home tank held. I might check into Pine5008 idea also.

30#....7.5 gallons (figure on 7 gallons so 14 total)

We FTd for 7 yrs. and I always left one valved out after I ended up with 2 empty cylinders :S
Out of sight out of mind........so for me having one go empty was a gentle reminder.

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bisquit. I was confused about the red and green things and how they worked. I think until I get used to it I will close one tank valve until the other runs out. I will get an idea how long a single will last. I have two 30 pound tanks. I figure that is nearly as much propane as my motor home tank held. I might check into Pine5008 idea also.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
When one tank empties, switch to the other, and refill the MT sooner or later depending on your use. Use labels if necessary.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
Try this out:
http://www.amazon.com/Astor-Propane-Pressure-Barbeque-Gauge/dp/B00LLIG74I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414194957&sr=8-1&keywords=propane+tank+monitor

Cheap and easy
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have dual propane cylinders?

Valve one in service......flip lever so it points to that cylinder.

When that cylinder goes empty..regulator will swap to other cylinder/indicator flag will turn from green to red. Valve in other cylinder--flip lever to it.

Valve out empty cylinder, remove it and go get refilled.

OR valve both cylinders in..........check indicator flag routinely cause when it turns red BOTH 1st cylinder is empty/regulator has swapped to 2nd cylinder.
Flip lever to 2nd cylinder.flag goes from red to green BUT----2nd cylinder may be full/partially full/almost empty cause you won't know when it was swapped to.

After a while of using them you will get an idea how long YOU can go on one based on YOUR type of usage.

We typically go 6 weeks on one of our 30# cylinders.