cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PSI of LT tire after upgrading from P rated tire

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
I know this topic has been brought up lots over the years. Iโ€™ve read all the posts I can find on the topic on both clubarmada.com and rv.net forums, but still couldnโ€™t come to a conclusion on what PSI to fill my new LT tires (Nokian Rotiva AT Plus) to on the Armada after upgrading from a Passenger, or P, rated tire. So I did a tonne of reading and research and am documenting my findings here for others to reference.

Kal Tire here in Kelowna inflated my new LT tires to 35PSI and said thatโ€™s the pressure to use as thatโ€™s whatโ€™s on the door. Even though the sticker on the door say thatโ€™s for a P275/60r20 tire (114 load range), not a LT275/60/r20 (123 load range).

From past reading I wasnโ€™t sure this was entirely true so I started down the rabbit hole!

For reference, I recently went through a weigh scale and the front axle weighed 3,064lbs. Dividing by 2 gives 1532lbs of weight on each front tire, roughly. Using the commonly referenced Load Index Tables, which a copy of can be found here (https://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/589830/23447320/1378330097907/Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf) , the minimum PSI listed of 35PSI generates a load rating of 1910lbs which should be sufficient to carry that load of 1,532lbs per tire. The rear axle weighed 2,998lbs. Divided by 2 is 1500lbs so, again, the minimum tire pressure of 35lbs provides more than enough load rating at 1,900 lbs. However I have read some comments that this would only be adequate to support 1900 lbs for a maximum of 65mph on a LT tire. To handle greater than 65 MPH (obviously not while towing), you need to add 10PSI. So that would take my 35 PSI to 45. Hereโ€™s one source of that information: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1407-understanding-tire-load-ratings . Although at 35PSI the load rating of 1900lbs is a fair ways above and beyond the actual weights of 1,532lbs and 1,500lbs front and rear so Iโ€™m not sure how much of a concern this would be. Perhaps if your actual tire weights were right at 1,900lbs, then you would want to add the extra 10Psi for speeds over 65MPH?

When towing our 4,900lb travel trailer, I add about 507lbs of tongue weight and my front truck axle weighs 3,064lbs and rear axle weighs 3,483lbs (with the WD hitch on). 3,064/2=1,532lbs and 3,483/2=1,742lbs. Therefor the 35PSI on a 123 load index tire and a resulting weight rating of 1,900 seems even sufficient for towing this trailer, under 65MPH.

The max front axle weight of an Armada is 3,699. The rear is 4,299. Dividing each of these by two results in 1,850lbs per tire front and 2,150lbs per tire rear. Based on the load index charts, to achieve this max rating of the axle, the front tires would have to have 35PSI (produces 1,900lb capacity) and 45PSI rear (produces 2,280lbs capacity)

However, the load index tables, say that what you should do when converting from a P rated tire to a LT tire, is find the load index rating of the original tire (114) and the PSI the manufacturer recommended (35PSI), then find the load rating for that load index rating and PSI on the LT tire table. In this case, itโ€™s 2,527lbs. Then to use that load rating and with the new tire index table and new tire load index (123) to find the proper PSI for the new tire. It also says when converting from a p-metric tire to a LT tire, you need to reduce the rated load of the P tire by 10%. So in this case the, 2,527lbs-10% = 2,274lbs. A load rating of 2,274lbs on a 123 load index tire means the PSI would need to be 45PSI for both the front and back tires. I also found an article from Toyo Tires about converting from a P rated tire to an LT tire and it agreed with what I determined using this Load Index Table. https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

Using an online tire conversion calculator I found at Tire Pressure Calculator , it suggests I need 48PSI per tire. Pretty close to the 45 above.

Iโ€™ve also read in various spots online that the minimum tire pressure you can run on a 80PSI mas pressure tire is 58% of the max pressure or 46.4PSI. Not sure how scientific or true this is or why, in that case, the load index tables would list weight ratings for 123 load index tire with 35PSI, but putting it here for consideration.

So, based on all of this, it seems the best PSI would be somewhere between 45-48 PSI front and back. Perhaps 48 in the rear and 45 in the front. This safely meets the requirements to carry the regular day to day weight of my vehicle at speeds over 65MPH. It also meets the 45PSI the load index charts suggest I should run based on the original tire load index (114) and manufacture recommended PSI (35). It also basically satisfies the minimum tire pressure of 58% of the maximum PSI of 80PSI.

I guess a further step I could take is to inflate to 45-48PSI and do the chaulk test but it seems that is an old test that doesnโ€™t really apply to newer radial tires.

As a side note, Iโ€™m really hoping these Nokian Rotiva AT Plus tires work out to be a good compromise between the softer Passenger rated stock tire and a full out 10 ply tire. When my 4,900 lb travel trailer was hooked up to the truck with the WD hitch, the P rated tire sidewalls would flex like crazy when I stood on the bumper and bounced very slightly. A bit unnerving to see, even though the P rated tire was more than capable of handling the weights, technically. Although these new tires are a 10 ply tire, each tire only weighs 40lbs, which is the same weight as the passenger tires I had on before vs 50-60lbs for the same size tire in some other 10 ply tires, so Iโ€™m hoping not a big impact on fuel mileage. They also have a 100,000km so hopefully last for a minimum of 5 years of summer driving (I run winter tires in the winter).
2010 Nissan Armada Platinum -Bilstein (24-197649) 46mm Shocks, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, R1 Concepts Rotors, Prodigy P3, Nokian Rotiva AT Plus LT275/60R20, Husky Center Line TS 32217 WD Hitch w/ Integrated Sway Control
2006 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 23B
46 REPLIES 46

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I have my LT tires,rated at 80psi max, @ 40psi when not towing, which is most of the time. No unusual wear after 30,000 plus miles. Plus this is based on info from Michelin not the internet.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
cj_rezz wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
agwill wrote:
Take a chill pill way too much worrying inflate to rated tire pressure listed on sidewall of tire.

This advice is extremely incorrect in the OP case! The OP has the correct inflation for his tires figured out. fully loaded 35 front 45 rear. I would run 35 rear empty.

Would you run 35 in the rear when not towing just for the comfort or more due to likely more even tread wear across the width of the tire? If it's just for ride comfort, the ride is not bad at all with 45 in the front and rear but definitely don't want to cause any uneven wear with too much tire pressure.

Itโ€™s sort of a balance between pressure, tire vs rim width and tire construction.
Some combos cause the tire to balloon a bit more than others. Others are happy tuning higher than needed pressure without affecting treadwear.
Generally if rim width is well matched to tire width less potential for ballooning or the opposite with too wide of rims.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Just want to quickly say that my P tires on the Tahoe were rated to nearly 10,000 lbs of capacity at max PSI. REGARDLESS of that. It was a squishy ride with my TT... and now that I have them on the Tahoe I realize just how squishy the empty ride was, because even at 41 PSI the ride is much more sure footed.

As to how am I going to air up my tires. Iโ€™m going to test on it and see which psi works for me while empty and which works for my load while towing.

I just changed to LTโ€™s and I am well pleased.

Relax a bit and stop getting lost in the charts and just test on it. Itโ€™s really not that complex.

Thanks, and JMHO

Jeremiah

I struggled with the decision to upgrade to an LT tire as the P rated tire was technically rated well enough to pull as big of trailer as the truck can technically handle. However, standing on the bumper with the trailer hooked up and doing even the slightest bounce and seeing those P rated tires flex the way they did nudged me towards the LT tire. Now after having them installed for a few days I'm happy with the decision. The ride comfort is still good but I"ll be curious to see what impact there is on fuel economy. This Nokian 10 ply tire weighs the same as the P rated tire I had on before so hopefully not too much impact.

I want to get the tire pressure as spot on initially as possible. By the time I will notice uneven wear, the tire will already be unevenly worn.
2010 Nissan Armada Platinum -Bilstein (24-197649) 46mm Shocks, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, R1 Concepts Rotors, Prodigy P3, Nokian Rotiva AT Plus LT275/60R20, Husky Center Line TS 32217 WD Hitch w/ Integrated Sway Control

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
agwill wrote:
Take a chill pill way too much worrying inflate to rated tire pressure listed on sidewall of tire.

80PSI in a 5,400lb vehicle is just crazy! This is exactly the reason there are load index charts provided by tire manufacturers; so you don't have to put 80PSi in every 10 ply tire and drive a concrete block down the road.

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
agwill wrote:

This advice is extremely incorrect in the OP case! The OP has the correct inflation for his tires figured out. fully loaded 35 front 45 rear. I would run 35 rear empty.

Would you run 35 in the rear when not towing just for the comfort or more due to likely more even tread wear across the width of the tire? If it's just for ride comfort, the ride is not bad at all with 45 in the front and rear but definitely don't want to cause any uneven wear with too much tire pressure.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not follow the manufacturerโ€™s specifications?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
theoldwizard1 wrote:
LT tires on a trailer should be filled to the max pressure on the side wall.

On a vehicle, the best answer is to contact the manufacturer of the tire, but 35 PSI is way too low and will cause excessive wear.

And after the โ€œair em all upโ€ recommendation, you come in with the just as wrong recommendation the other direction! Roflmao

OP you analyzed everything and you got the right answer yourself.
Those weights those tires, 35psi +/- for normal driving is right.
Load up the back, air the rear tires up a bit.
Winter/snow, less psi = better traction
Summer/ towing/heat , more psi = Better handling and cooler running.
All within 10-15 psi or so of 30 for that weight and tire.

Youโ€™ll never use all the capacity of those tires. Which is great, they last longer and are tougher.
Getting into the finer points of what is too much and too little air is another discoussion.
But old wiz is 100% wrong.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"LT tires on a trailer should be filled to the max pressure on the side wall."

"PLEASE"........, Show me where it says this?????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
LT tires on a trailer should be filled to the max pressure on the side wall.

On a vehicle, the best answer is to contact the manufacturer of the tire, but 35 PSI is way too low and will cause excessive wear.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weigh your rig FULLY loaded and unplanned. Use the weight/inflation chart for your new tires. Add 5psi to rears and 10 psi to fronts to what the chart says.

Guarantee the pressures will be similar to your P tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dab blasted skip and jump phone line internet service double post....delete..Jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
agwill wrote:

I have no idea what a Armada is but with OEM P tires I doubt the vehicles wheels are good for 80 psi. Real good way to split the wheels bead seats or crack the centers. I've had both happen when a wheel was over pressured and carrying a load.
Pay attention to the tire engineers (CapriRacer) reply.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agwill wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agwill wrote:

Totally wrong answer!!

The correct answer is: If the numbers in the size are all the same, in order to carry the same load as a P type tire does, an LT type tire has to use 15 psi more (more or less. Precision isn't necessary here!)

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for sharing
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.