cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing an RV - negotiating a sale price

NewTTcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen various discussions regarding negotiating with a dealer. What I haven't seen is the following: if you purchase an RV with upgraded options from the factory, can you still negotiate a lower price with the dealer or are you stuck because you ordered options instead of taking an RV off the lot?
18 REPLIES 18

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF you order an RV, and get special options. I'm betting you agreed on the price BEFORE the RV was ordered. So, You will have to pay the already agreed upon price when it arrives. They will not order you a customized RV and then negotiate a price when it comes.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
Decide how much you want to spend on a rv including wanted options and make an offer.

Too many potential rv buyers are overly concerned about how much the dealer is willing to reduce his price. After researching the value of the rv you want, control the deal by make a "fair" offer and if dealer agrees, go with it.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it would depend on the dealer and how its doing .
Some dealers have an inventory that's financed . Those units need to be sold to make loan payments . I would think they will do a deal to make a sale but buying from inventory will probably get you a better deal . I think the term is floor planning .

this is taken from a finance thread:

What is floor plan financing?

Answer:

Floor plan financing is a revolving line of credit that allows the borrower to obtain financing for retail goods. These loans are made against a specific piece of collateral (i.e. an auto, RV, manufactured home, etc.). When each piece of collateral is sold by the dealer, the loan advance against that piece of collateral is repaid.

In short, Dealer Floor Plan financing allows dealers to borrow against retail inventory. The dealer then repays that debt as they sell their inventory and borrows against the line of credit to add new inventory.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
No, you should still be able to negotiate a price. CA tends to be higher priced than most places. The general rule of thumb is around 30%+ off MSRP, which by the way, is a mostly fictional number. Not like the MSRP when buying a car. But, doubt that you're going to be that lucky in CA. A friend on both RVNet and Hybrid Explorer drove from northern CA to Chi to get their hybrid and after trip expenses were about $4000 ahead. We did the same from West TN to RVWholesalers in OH. On our hybrid we were about $4000 ahead and more on our TT. The one thing you can do to possibly help is to gather info and pricing from places like RVW or RVDirect, assuming they sell the model you are interested in, and use it as a bargaining tool. You might decide to turn delivery into a little vacation....or not....but your local dealer doesn't need to know that. Shoot for 30%. Good luck, it's a frustrating experience. And remember DO NOT believe everything a salesman tells you.....often they have no clue and the rest of the time it's for THEIR benefit.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!