cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on 2016 Power Stroke

womps
Explorer
Explorer
I now have 1,500 miles on my new Ford Super Duty. I have noticed that about every 200 to 250 miles a message appears in the guage cluster indicating "cleaning exhaust filter". Immediatly the fuel consumption increases substantially. I reset a trip odometer once when this happened. It took 28 miles at 65 mph and indicated fuel economy during this time was 10.6 mpg. This is driving empty, not towing. Is it normal for this regeneration to occur so often and also to use that much fuel during the regen? My dealer says it is. Maybe that is why I can't get over 15 mpg of mostly empty freeway (except for a quad in the box)travel.
16 REPLIES 16

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses and help. As said, I will just enjoy for awhile and let the 6.7 do its thing.

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
Normal. I've a 2015 with just over 12K miles and am starting to see 17 MPG.
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS

Silverback98042
Explorer
Explorer
What "nohurry" said. What you're experiencing is normal, at least for a truck that isn't broken in yet. Drive it and enjoy it.
2013 Ford Superduty F250 Powerstroke CC 4X4 Platinum
2013 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280 RKS

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Womps, you're only at 1500 miles. You really need to just enjoy the truck for a few thousand more miles and let it learn how you drive, and use it. Mileage will get better, and the truck should know when to regen on its own. Work it hard, and you will see very few regens messages, they will be passive. Freeway cruise empty a lot, and your going to see more, but I for sure wouldn't worry about it, or bother the dealer until at least 5k miles, then re-evaluate. I have seen mileage stated from owners here, and on the Ford truck enthusiasts site that have varied quite a bit, but most 6.7 trucks average 15-17 overall. Mine gets 19 hwy empty with no wind, 11-12 towing 7k, and I average around 17, but I live in a rural area, don't drive in city traffic much, and it's not my daily driver. I don't worry about regens, I just let em happen when they need to. Good luck.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I'm curious. What value is there in increasing cetane?

A Ford test showed that increased cetane rating resulted in less soot and reduced regens. A higher rated fuel will ignite more readily. I once got a load of low cetane fuel and my 6.7 Ford rattled like the old diesels, adding a cetane booster cured the problem.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm curious. What value is there in increasing cetane?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Silverback98042
Explorer
Explorer
I have found a fuel additive that reduces the frequency of regens. Do a search for "Amalgamated Fuel Additive". The regen process uses a lot of fuel, so reducing the frequency makes a huge difference. From my experience, regens only happen 1/3 as often, and this additive also increases cetane. The winter blend has additional ani-gel properties.
2013 Ford Superduty F250 Powerstroke CC 4X4 Platinum
2013 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280 RKS

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Regen frequency will depend on how the truck is driven such as short trips, stop and go driving, long freeway miles etc. each situation is different.

womps
Explorer
Explorer
So does the Cummins and Duramax operate the same way and as often? My axle ratio is 3.55.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
you do a lot of city driving? it will regen more if you do, highway or working hard is what the new diesels like.
keep in mind your truck is also not even broken in yet, my previous 2011 6.7 didn't start getting about 16mpg until about the 20k mile mark.

my 2016 f350 dually with 4:30 gears gets 15.7mpg empty and just a tad over 11 towing, She only has 6k miles so im hoping by this time next year to gain maybe 1 mpg.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds normal to me.

I see regens at 400-450 miles running empty on the highway.

It increases in frequency to 250-300 miles when I do a lot of city driving under 50.

This has been pretty consistent for the last 15k miles.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
womps wrote:
I now have 1,500 miles on my new Ford Super Duty. I have noticed that about every 200 to 250 miles a message appears in the guage cluster indicating "cleaning exhaust filter". Immediatly the fuel consumption increases substantially. I reset a trip odometer once when this happened. It took 28 miles at 65 mph and indicated fuel economy during this time was 10.6 mpg. This is driving empty, not towing. Is it normal for this regeneration to occur so often and also to use that much fuel during the regen? My dealer says it is. Maybe that is why I can't get over 15 mpg of mostly empty freeway (except for a quad in the box)travel.

completely normal
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think mine cleans the filter about once every 450 miles. I think it may have done it more often when it was new. What axle ratio do you have?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The 28 miles is what I thought to be a bit much, I have never seen it go near that long.