cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions abou t new (to me) Northern Lite

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up my first TC last week. I'm going to be taking my first trip next weekend and need to get a couple things figured out. The first is critical, the second is maintenance that will come into play down the road.

1) The NL TC is a 2007 10'2" RRQ (rear dinette, queen bed). It was kept in great condition by the original owner fortunately. But, the TC did not come with a sewer hose. There is a hole/door in the side of the camper that is 17" deep that I've been told is for storing the dump hose. I picked a relatively cheap one up from Walmart but found it does not fit either. It's both too large diameter (the hole is 3-3/4" diameter but the hose coupling is closer to 5"). Secondly, the hole is not deep enough to hold anything longer than 5' and can't hold the 90deg bend. I probably need to contact NL about this, but what the heck am I supposed to use in order to dump sewage without adding an aftermarket hose holder tube?

2) The Happijacks are functional and in good visual condition. However, there are some chips/cracks in the paint that some rust is coming through. What should I use to paint this? Since it's regularly going to get wet and has to take some abuse, I was leaning towards marine grade paint, but a recommendation for what others do would be nice. I'll probably look into contacting Happijack to see if they have a suggestion, too.
38 REPLIES 38

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Well this post got me thinking for the last 2 weeks. I went out and measured my sewer hose tube and it came in at a whopping 13 3/4". The sewer hose just gets to the dump hole , but I usually have to hold it in the hole while my wife pulls the slide open.
The storage tube is under the fridge, so I pulled the drawers out to the bottom left of the fridge , looked inside and found the end of the tube, lots of extra length to put in a longer tube.
So today I went to hardware store, bought a 4" PVC cap and some glue, I already had a length of 4" pipe and coupling. Pulled the tube off the side of the camper, cleaned all the silicone seal off.
Measured the overall length , cut the existing tube, added coupling figured out what length to cut pipe. Dry fit the new longer piece, glued it all together. I ran a bead of Proflex around the back of the shell , pushed it in and screwed it into place. Ran a bead of Proflex around the housing and added a support at the very inside end.
I now have a 26 3/4" storage tube.
I think that should be able to store a 10 foot cheap sewer hose with a 90 on the end and the bayonet on the outer end. Still have to try the hose from the trailer.
PS Yes Bigfoot did use silicone seal around the access port. I found a new product at the hardware store that is designed to remove silicone caulk and it seems to have worked well. I think it took longer to clean the silicone off the camper and access port than it took to do the pipework.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
Is rhino flex the clear winner in hose or does it really matter? I'm not going to be at KOA type places, so I think this will be dump stations only. I was thinking a single 10' hose with the TC connector on one end and a removable adapter/funnel end that connects to a compact 90 bend. Only thing the rhino has is that clear section by the TC in some kits.

The Rhino Flex is by far the best hose I have found, one of the main reasons is no hard fitting 90 degree elbow is require to empty into campground sewer pipes or dumps, the hose itself acts as the 90 degree, I have never require any sewer end fittings.

I have a Bigfoot camper but have the same 4" rear step bumper as the Northern lite, Bigfoot doesn't use the bumper as a hose storage so the ends are welded shut. I liked the idea of hose storage in the bumper/steps like the northern lite so I cut open the end of the 4" sq. tubing but found that there wasn't enough room for the quick connect sewer fitting, so I had to use a 1/4 inche die grinder and carbide tip to make the inside dia. of the square tubing large enough to allow the connection fitting to slide in. With a little more grinding (in a few spots) on a 45 degree fitting I was able to get it to go into the tube with the Rhinoflex hose.

I really like how the hose slides in the steps tube now, however seeing what bigfootgrey (nice Job) did with the fence post tubing makes me think this is the way to go, and is likely what I would do now, if I were to do it over.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
Here are hopefully the images I wanted to share
Small porch to attache stairs
2 white tubes for drain hose and floor mat
Gaetan
Trying with my Ipad
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gaetan wrote:
I have photos that I would like to include in this post, but I d'ont know how?
Gaetan

If you go to the top of the forum page where the sticky's are, I believe it tells you how to post pictures.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I have photos that I would like to include in this post, but I d'ont know how?
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
chobe2 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
What I did (because my TC fits entirely in the bed (no bumper / back step), I went to Lowes and bought 2 lengths of round white PVC pipe, 2 caps and 2 external threaded adapters and threaded caps with 6 flat stand off's. I put one under each side of the camper proud of the bed rail, I store my sewer hose in one and 'stuff' in the other. Works real well and eliminated the where to store the sewer hose' issue.

Do you have photos...would love to see your setup.

When I get it out (it's inside the garage still sleeping), I'll take a picture and post it. Still cold (spitting snow right now) up here...
2015 Backpack SS1500

chobe2
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
What I did (because my TC fits entirely in the bed (no bumper / back step), I went to Lowes and bought 2 lengths of round white PVC pipe, 2 caps and 2 external threaded adapters and threaded caps with 6 flat stand off's. I put one under each side of the camper proud of the bed rail, I store my sewer hose in one and 'stuff' in the other. Works real well and eliminated the where to store the sewer hose' issue.

Do you have photos...would love to see your setup.
2015 Ram 3500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, SB, SRW, 4WD, Fox Shocks, Helwig Bigwig, Timbrens, Torklift Talons & Fastguns

2007 Lance 845 WIP - Wish List: 200w Solar, MPPT Controller, Two AGM Batteries, 1500w Inverter, Microwave, Awning(s), etc...More Money!

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi,
Too bad the fence post won't work for you. I'm sure you will find a system to store it. It's unfortunate that companies like NL & BF don't design proper storage for sewer hoses and accessories. I guess they count on their customers creativity!

Bob
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 Backpack SS1500

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome setup. Won't work for me unfortunately due to the way the bumper, step, and Jacks are installed. I'd post a pic, but I don't have an account to drop it at.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
JRJR wrote:
Where can one buy this type fence post? Looks like a good simple solution.

Menards (Where I got mine)

Home Depot

Lowes

Some ACE Hardware stores

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
Where can one buy this type fence post? Looks like a good simple solution.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set up!

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

We had the same problem with storage until our friends showed us their solution:
6 in fence post with caps fastened to camper with 4 Velcro straps. Plastic gutter with end caps fits perfectly inside fence post to create a drawer( tray) for hose. We've been using this set up for about 3 years with no problems. Hope this helps

Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.