cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

quieter water pump

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of a water pump that is fairly quiet? I feel like mine can be heard for miles when I use it.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
20 REPLIES 20

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
djgarcia wrote:

At 2:00am in the morning when some one has to take a whizz and flushes the toilet every one in the trailer gets to hear the pump thumping!!!!!!

You might want to restore air gap in your water heater.
My camper does not have water accumulator, but with pump off I still have enough pressure to not only flush the toilet, but wash my hands as well.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ours sounded like a wood pecker going off- quite loud even outside. Loud enough I was self conscious of it in the wee hours.
That and constant running with the slightest trickle of water.
Loud, constant and annoying. If someone knocked I didn't hear em.

I reworked a couple of times trying to isolate better, short of buying a pump, but it was installing the accumulator that really made it quiet. That and when I plumbed used flex lines. The accumulator made a world of difference in how long and often the pump went off, likely absorbing some noise but I assume it was the flex lines, on inlet and outlet side of pump that really stopped the noise transmission thru the hard Pex lines.

As our pump is 16 years old likely should replace now or at least carry spare-better pump retro fitted imagine should be whisper quiet. We only turn on pump when water used so wouldn't mind not hearing it all.

My point is though assume better pump would be a lot quieter, I dont think just swapping pump would have had near the results of changing to flex lines, at least in our camper. If your after quiet...

Check the pump, make sure its isolated, not touching anything. Some have used foam pipe wrap on the lines and had some success to absorb noise but Id change to flex lines-add accumulator then look at pump.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Can it really be "heard for miles" or are you just being oversensitive? Have you actually listened to the pump from the outside while someone is running water?

I really doubt you can hear more than a low rumble from outside the camper.

Have you had people banging on your door complaining about the pump noise during your morning shower?

How much does the pump really run in the course of a day? If it's running when you're not using water, you've got a leak somewhere. Might want to fix that.

At 2:00am in the morning when some one has to take a whizz and flushes the toilet every one in the trailer gets to hear the pump thumping!!!!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have room for a very small accumulator? I installed one and it really made a big difference, both in terms of noise and power consumption. It was easy to install, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can it really be "heard for miles" or are you just being oversensitive? Have you actually listened to the pump from the outside while someone is running water?

I really doubt you can hear more than a low rumble from outside the camper.

Have you had people banging on your door complaining about the pump noise during your morning shower?

How much does the pump really run in the course of a day? If it's running when you're not using water, you've got a leak somewhere. Might want to fix that.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on insulating the pipes at the pump inlet and outlet, and cushion between the pump and floor. I used a foam knee mat meant for gardening, worked great.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Lance dealer replaced my noisy one when it failed after 2 years. New one is super quiet.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Variable speed pumps are very cool, but if there IS a leak you will never hear it cycle like a "normal" pump does. It simply creeps the revs up to restore pressure and slows back to Off
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
TDWebster wrote:
The newer revolution model shurflo is much quieter than the old similar model. I just changed ours out for the same reason---plus it it was 10 yrs old

Ditto on the Revolution, plus you get can it in the lower GPM format so that you're not rapidly emptying your tank.

I had a Shurflo Variable speed pump for a while in my camper, the smallest at the time was a 4.0 gpm, which was way too much.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put a flexible household sink hose on the output.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Our pump will hammer when there is a mixture of air and water in the water line from the tank to the pump. We really need to flow at the highest rate so we can to rid this line of air (because there is about a 6 inch drop to the pump inlet and air does not want to flow down hill).

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Had my pump, thought it would be way quieter. Not. but now for some reason it is quieter??
Jayco-noslide

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Keep in mind a little noise is a good thing. If a leak develops, the sooner you find it the better and a pump going off every couple minutes while no one is using water is a dead giveaway.

You aint kidding.
I have a Sensor 5.7 which is dead quiet (not in production anymore due to too many failures) and we had a leak in the middle of the night. Even though the pump is under the bed, I didn't notice it until it had emptied our 40 gallon tank onto the floor.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Keep in mind a little noise is a good thing. If a leak develops, the sooner you find it the better and a pump going off every couple minutes while no one is using water is a dead giveaway.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV