cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 2500 5.7 hemi mpg.....a bit disappointed

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
The other day we took a trip ftom southern illinois, through st louis, to southern Missouri...a couple of hundred miles each way.

Starting out I reset the mpg meter on the dash, and recorded 17.4-17.8 mpg driving at 62-65 mph going through st louis. Once we got out of town, I ran at 75 mph the rest of the way to our destination. The MPG continually dropped until it hit 14.3, which is where it stayed.

Going through southern Missouri is fairly hilly and the truck geared down quite often...more than expected.

On the return trip, I again reset the mpg meter and after about 30 miles at 75 mph, I was right back to 14.3 mpg.

A we approached st louis, we had to slow back down to 65 mph.....mpg came back up to 17.3 and we finished the trip at 17.6.

I never had a truck that would drop 3+ over a 10 mph range....surprising. we were totally unloaded in 2wd the whole trip. 

I am wondering how this compares with the 6.2 L engine in the same truck??????

I was kind of expecting about 3-5 mpg better from the 5.7 hemi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
6.4 Hemi, 4x4, 3.73, 6 Speed Auto
2016 Keystone Hideout 7500# Dry :B
52 REPLIES 52

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I average 14.5 mpg on the hwy. So much for the V-10 being a gas guzzler! It's fairly fuel efficient compared to the lighter V-8 gas trucks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
winter fuel, cold weather, those speeds and a gas engine = about what you saw IMO. It is what it is
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
And they even put a sticky in for you all.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's dismal mpg's is the reason I passed on the 5.7 in 2012 and bought the CTD. I was already getting poor towing mpg's and figured I'd trump that with the CTD. and did. I went from 9 mpg to 11.5-12.3. I tow 1/2 the time and if diesel is .50 more then I break even over the course of a year. Right now diesel and reg are the same where I live $2.85 for both. I really don't care about the extra $$$ I had to pay for the CTD. I'll get most of it back when I trade in. It's no different than buying a higher option truck. They all depreciate at the same rate. JMO but I bet my CTD will hold it's value better than the 2500 5.7.

To those that think guys buy diesels for the sound or think they're cool letting it idle. Well I suppose they're are some that do, but on my 2012 extended idling is a no no. As far as sound goes the new ones are so much more quieter than the older ones that for the most part you can't tell the difference enough. I think those guys some refer to are the ones driving the old 7.3 or 5.9 diesels. And no I don't drive around with my tow mirrors sticking out.

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a cummins in 2004, and traded it after about 14 months. It pulled out fifth wheel like a freight train, but for a daily driver it just did not work for me personally. Higher fuel costs, additives in the winter, cold as he!! If I forgot to plug it in the night before, fumes in the garage and inside the house, wife complaining about the smell, fuel filter changes, almost ram out of fuel because I couldn't find a gas station that has diesel, and expensive oil changes. What finally did it was when I opted to change the oil myself and put a ten quart pan under the engine that held twelve quarts...after I cleaned up the mess (though clearly my stupidity), I traded it for a ram 2500 hemi. Certainly I lost pulling power and mpg towing, but as a daily driver it was wonderful by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, if I towed more often and had another vehicle for a daily driver, I would not hesitate to own another cummins. They have their place for sure. Then there is my nephew that drives a ford diesel only because it's cool to own one in Texas....he never towed anything, has a big lift kit, and it is a cool monster for sure....impressive!!
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
IdaD wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Think of how much $$$ you saved versus buying a diesel. That will buy a LOT of gasoline!!!

I know there's a little bit of debate about this, but when you actually pencil out all the numbers your total cost of ownership is typically lower with the diesel motor. Maybe not in some cases like the wrong model year Powerstroke since some didn't hold up as well with resale. But in most cases if you factor in the up front cost, fuel expense, likely required maintenance and resale value, you'll come out a little big ahead with the diesel option.

The trick of course is whether you're comfortable with paying more up front for an overall lower cost. Think of it like a light bulb. Are you an LED guy or an incandescent guy? The one that costs more up front actually costs quite a bit less in the long run.

I guess the other trick is personal preference. Some people simply prefer a gas truck or a nice soft incandescent bulb.

You must be using a different calculator than me. When I figure it with all the additional costs including more oil per change more changes, the exhaust fluid, the fuel filters, and the higher price of Diesel Fuel by as much as a dollar in some states including the 9-10 Thousand Dollar premium for the Diesel option at purchase there is no way to recoup that in a normal lifetime much less come out ahead.

Long Life, Pulling power and personal preference as you say are all good reasons to buy a Diesel but economy is not one of them any longer. (and truly the pulling power difference with Gas is shrinking fast) When Diesel Fuel was still cheaper than Gasoline the equation made more economic sense for sure but those days are gone.

I think the biggest reason (unspoken and unacknowledged of course) for guys buying Diesels is they love the sound, they love to leave them idle, it makes them feel like they have a "Big" truck and it gives them a little of that John Wayne crashing through the Saloon Doors with both six guns blazing feeling. None of which is bad mind you but it's still not a valid economic argument.

http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_cd_umtritcofinalreport_dd2017.pdf

I've also run the numbers in my own situation many times and diesel always comes out a little ahead. Again you do have to be willing and able to pay more up front, and I understand that doesn't work for some people.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
IdaD wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Think of how much $$$ you saved versus buying a diesel. That will buy a LOT of gasoline!!!

I know there's a little bit of debate about this, but when you actually pencil out all the numbers your total cost of ownership is typically lower with the diesel motor. Maybe not in some cases like the wrong model year Powerstroke since some didn't hold up as well with resale. But in most cases if you factor in the up front cost, fuel expense, likely required maintenance and resale value, you'll come out a little big ahead with the diesel option.

The trick of course is whether you're comfortable with paying more up front for an overall lower cost. Think of it like a light bulb. Are you an LED guy or an incandescent guy? The one that costs more up front actually costs quite a bit less in the long run.

I guess the other trick is personal preference. Some people simply prefer a gas truck or a nice soft incandescent bulb.

You must be using a different calculator than me. When I figure it with all the additional costs including more oil per change more changes, the exhaust fluid, the fuel filters, and the higher price of Diesel Fuel by as much as a dollar in some states including the 9-10 Thousand Dollar premium for the Diesel option at purchase there is no way to recoup that in a normal lifetime much less come out ahead.

Long Life, Pulling power and personal preference as you say are all good reasons to buy a Diesel but economy is not one of them any longer. (and truly the pulling power difference with Gas is shrinking fast) When Diesel Fuel was still cheaper than Gasoline the equation made more economic sense for sure but those days are gone.

I think the biggest reason (unspoken and unacknowledged of course) for guys buying Diesels is they love the sound, they love to leave them idle, it makes them feel like they have a "Big" truck and it gives them a little of that John Wayne crashing through the Saloon Doors with both six guns blazing feeling. None of which is bad mind you but it's still not a valid economic argument.

A little too much truth for the little big rig drivers here! Funny the reasons you listed were at the top of the reasons I bought six of them diesels back when they were simpler machines. I enjoyed every one of them. But, I did not run around bobtail with my towing mirrors out.:B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
zogg wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all of your responses....it's been a few years since I had a heavy duty truck. We parked our RV for a few years and I was running a Ram 1/2 ton that got over 20 mpg on the hiway at 72 mph. I guess I forgot that I am now driving a 6300 pound truck with 4wd...

I remember having an '06 Silverado 2wd and got 12 hiway and 6+ towing a small 5th wheel...ugh.

Anyway, I love the truck, and gas is cheaper (for now), so I'll just grin all the way to the pump...hahaha

Thanks again.

While you are grinning all the way to the pump I'll wave a smile at you while I pass you @75 getting my 20 MPG in my 8,000# truck and not needing to stop at the pump.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak for the Dodge 5.7, but the Ford Super Duty in my signature will consistently get 16 mpg unloaded cruising at 65 mph. If I cruise the same route at 75 mph, I drop to 15 mpg. The route consists of level ground and semi long hills, and altitude range is from 2,300 to over 5,000 feet in elevation.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Plus it just sounds nice when you need to wring its neck a bit...:)

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all of your responses....it's been a few years since I had a heavy duty truck. We parked our RV for a few years and I was running a Ram 1/2 ton that got over 20 mpg on the hiway at 72 mph. I guess I forgot that I am now driving a 6300 pound truck with 4wd...

I remember having an '06 Silverado 2wd and got 12 hiway and 6+ towing a small 5th wheel...ugh.

Anyway, I love the truck, and gas is cheaper (for now), so I'll just grin all the way to the pump...hahaha

Thanks again.
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

I know there's a little bit of debate about this, but when you actually pencil out all the numbers your total cost of ownership is typically lower with the diesel motor.

That's an argument for another thread. The OP has a nice truck and it sounds like he has plenty of engine for his needs. Some people aren't concerned with resale value. For people like that, its hard to ignore the $8000 +/- savings up front with an adequate gas engine.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
you're driving a 3.5 ton brick down the road 75 MPH with a 400 HP engine and you're complaining about MPG?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB