cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
I found a t/c I really like but looks like weight will be too heavy. I know some of the members here have said my truck will handle more than the gvwr assigned by Ford but it has me concerned.
I still haven’t weighed my truck (2002 F350 4/4 Dually Longbed/ 7.3PSD, Loadlifter 5000# airbags) but has got to be in the 8200# range + or - and Ford says gvwr is 11,500.
The T/C is a 2016 Livin Lite Ford 10.0 and dry weight is estimated at 3K and wet weight at 4K. It would have looked great matched up on the F350.
It still spooks me to run over the GVWR by much and then get pulled over and checked.
I read the story behind the start up of the all aluminum Livin lite campers, merge with Ford, and then buy out and shut down of the Company - what a shame!
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois
60 REPLIES 60

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike/kellie wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
All bedded trucks have the same rear axle to end of the bed dimension till 550/5500 series, who I have never seen with bed.
Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine will be bigger.

Here you go, a 5500 with a bed. It turns tighter than my 2008 GMC 3500 dually

Those are what I call utility beds.
To my knowledge none of utility boxes come from truck manufacturer.
What I was referring to is practice that each manufacturer makes only 1 bed model for long beds and 1 for short beds.
Meaning regardless if that goes on 250, 350 or 450, it is the same bed and only duallies have added flares.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

What’s funny is not more than a month or so ago, you actually argued with me that in fact the rear axle to end of truck bed was different on different trucks and how much an affect it has on hauling campers.....

In the past you come with the story that short beds and long beds have the same overhangs.
Here we are comparing standard cab overhang to crew cab overhang.
Sorry pal, if you don't understand different scenario.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
specta wrote:

Maybe you should read it little more closely. Or means or regardless if it highlighted, bold or all capital letters.

Wrong.
"Or" in English has 2 meanings LINK

I can't help that you took it out of context.

"READ" it more carefully next time.

"Or means or regardless if it highlighted, bold or all capital letters.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
All bedded trucks have the same rear axle to end of the bed dimension till 550/5500 series, who I have never seen with bed.
Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine will be bigger.

Here you go, a 5500 with a bed. It turns tighter than my 2008 GMC 3500 dually
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Kayteg1 wrote:
Maybe you should highlighty the "OR" to make it clear what you are talking about.
Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine cantilever will be bigger.

What’s funny is not more than a month or so ago, you actually argued with me that in fact the rear axle to end of truck bed was different on different trucks and how much an affect it has on hauling campers.
While you’re correct in that there are slight differences based on brand and model of truck, have you changed you stance on whether they’re the “same” now and that they have a significant difference in hauling characteristics?
Appears so.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

Maybe you should read it little more closely. Or means or regardless if it highlighted, bold or all capital letters.

Wrong.
"Or" in English has 2 meanings LINK

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
All that, and nobody pointed out that on the off chance the OP were ever pulled over and weighed in the United States, or on the off chance that he was in an accident, the law and lawyers would only concern themselves with his REGISTERED weight, which can exceed the GVWR by thousands of pounds. I don't know what the states use for criteria on the limits, but from what I am finding it's pretty much whatever you want to pay for, possibly up to 32,000lbs, 20,000 for the dually axle and 12,000 for the single axle.

Obviously you're pushing things if you exceed the combined weight ratings of all your tires in all positions (except the spare, duh). The combined GAWRs seem to be a common choice. Large trucks are rated by their combined GAWRs, yet pickup trucks have a factory GVWR that's often thousands of pounds below the combined GAWRs.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Maybe you should highlighty the "OR" to make it clear what you are talking about.

I'm hoping burningman will enlighten me on how the weight of the camper being further away from the front axle will add more weight to the front axle.

I'm confused. :h
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine cantilever will be bigger.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
specta wrote:

I have zero desire or need for a dually or a truck that takes a football field to turn around in..

That's misinformation.
It is not dually wheels that make big turning circle.
It is Crew Cab requiring longer wheelbase.
That's why I custom-order Supercab, who is full feet shorter wheelbase.

Its not misinformation at all. That's why I said "or a truck that takes a football field to turn around in".

My truck curb to curb 45 ft. Extended cab long bed 52 ft. 4-door long bed 55 ft.

I have no interest in ever owning an extended cab let a lone a 4-door pickup.

And I have no use or need for a dually.

My truck fits my needs to a tee.

I would also think that the loner the wheelbase the further back the weight will be.

If the weight is sitting further back from the front axle why would it add more weight to the front axle??
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

I have zero desire or need for a dually or a truck that's takes a football field to turn around in..

That's misinformation.
It is not dually wheels that make big turning circle.
It is Crew Cab requiring longer wheelbase.
That's why I custom-order Supercab, who is full feet shorter wheelbase.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
specta wrote:
Dry my camper took 40 pounds off the front axle.

Loaded for camping with my small ATV trailer in tow they took 100 lbs off my front axle.

That’s becuse you don’t have a real truck with duals and a long wheelbase...

I have a real truck.

I have zero desire or need for a dually or a truck that's takes a football field to turn around in.

I guess though if you have a Dodge you need dual wheels to carry anything.
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
specta wrote:

Loaded for camping with my small ATV trailer in tow they took 100 lbs off my front axle.

Neither do you.
Long wheelbase comes with 550/5500 series trucks.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.