cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear bathroom door opinions

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to upgrade to a new camper and are considering a jayco 28BHKS Whitehawk which has a rear bathroom door, we haven't noticed any of theses layouts before, curious about pros and cons from people with experience... The wife had brought up the idea that we will be unable to monitor the door, meaning that strangers could enter the rv unnoticed... One of the pros ive noticed in that class length is it gives other options such as storage or outdoor kitchen, which would not be an option if the door is in the front. here are 2 different layouts, with bath door in front and rear...
Whitehawk 28BHKS
Whitehawk 28DSBH
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH
12 REPLIES 12

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Second outside door for bathroom is very handy. And I like the idea that if one of the doors locks jams, which has happened, there is another option to get in.. Or out..
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
One of the units in my group has an aft lav layout, they love it.Keep it locked. The group likes it when in the social circle. easy in easy out

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a rear bathroom door on my current RV. The doors is OK but what I have come to dislike is the bathroom. The rear bath has its own gray and black tanks. Dumping the additional tanks is more trouble than its worth.
I like the idea of the kids having their own bath but I have come to despise emptying the rear tanks. It just more work in the long run with very little return.
Instead of having one semi full black tanks I have 2 mostly empty black tanks.
My rear bath has slowly become storage closet. Having the exterior door helps make it a really nice closet!
Before getting that extra 1/2 bath be sure to consider the additional tanks.
I wish I would have!.
I still love my floorplan,but we never use the rear bath.Too much stuff stored there at this point!
In the end the space occupied by the rear bath could be put to better use.
Do we really need 2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms in a 30'-40' trailer?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you can go wrong with it.

It's not any less secure than any other trailer door. You don't have to use it just because it's there. But when it's convenient, you have it.

I have two doors on my TT. Front door and rear bedroom door. Same side. The rear bedroom door rarely gets used. But when I want to, it's there. I'd actually like a rear backside bathroom door. For most of my camping spots, it'd work great. Those times I'm in a tight campground and it opens to a neighbor's site, I just wouldn't use it.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
The street side door is strange, but would make the cleaning and flushing process easier when dumping the tanks.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
I love having a second door to the bathroom - so convenient both in the campground and for quick pit stops while traveling. I really think one on the street side would be odd though - both for quick stops and even more so when your in a campground, as you'd be cutting through someone else's campsite.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
One of the pros is being able to access the bathroom without moving the slide(s). Many, many floorplans sacrifice that easy access as a design trade-off.

The flip of that is one of the reasons we love our floorplan so much, full access to everything except the couch with the slide all the way in.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely use our rear door, but I like having a real exit door on both ends of the trailer.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Our last TT and our new 5th wheel both have bathroom doors leading out to the curb side and are very handy but I don't think I'd want a street side door.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
My concern, too, would be the rear bath door opening street side. It depends on what type of campgrounds you visit, but in our experience most sites would have that door very close to the neighbours firepit, as APT mentioned.
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT has rear bath/bunks similar to the DSBH. I can name a number of things I do not like about the BHKS with bath door on the street side based on how/where we camp. Many of our sites that door would open close to the neighbor's site, specifically a group of chairs around a fire ring. For RV resorts with paved sites, that side of the trailer is not paved. For non paved sites I always use patio mats which would be interesting to lay out across the two sides. Fridge access looks limited when the kitchen slide is closed.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
I have a rear bathroom door. It is not a problem. Most of the time it is locked and the steps are up. When we are going to be around camp all day we unlock and put the steps down. Saves on grandkids going through the camper all daylong with sand/mud dragged throughout. We find it kind of convenient but rear door or no rear door wouldn't drive our buy decision one way or the other. Our layout is exactly like the 28DSBH, we chose it for the BH for the Gkids. When we don't have Gkids with us we got a ton more storage.