cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear view cameras

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Read the post about backup cameras, but what about rear view cameras ? I'll be pulling a small cargo trailer behind the TC this fall and would like to be able to monitor it going down the road as it is not visible thru rear view mirrors. Has anyone installed one?
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)
9 REPLIES 9

ttommyy48
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
What's the difference between a backup and a rear-view camera?

I use mine for both, it comes on when I switch into reverse but I can also turn it on with an upfitter switch.

I have a wireless Garmin BC30 and it's pretty decent.

When you turn the camera on via the upfitter switch, does it also activate the backup lights on the truck/trailer?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I did:

backup camera
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Shirleyshusband
Explorer
Explorer
I used tadibrothers also. Good site and helpful tech support. Installed on our 5th wheel to keep an eye on our boat towed behold the fiver. Worked good.

Because of bad reports on wireless, I used wire. It was easy to install.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I define a Backup camera as one that works only when in reverse gear, and a rear view camera as one that's engage and ON when the truck is running.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the explanation. I was using the terms interchangeable but that makes sense.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:

I use mine for both, it comes on when I switch into reverse but I can also turn it on with an upfitter switch.

Hedge, the only difference that I can see is that a backup camera, is more down by the license plate if not connected to the frame. I have one and use it for aligning up the trailer hitch. Only works in reverse though so trying to view the trailer at 65mph.. heheh, well, it would't be pretty, LOL

The Rear-view is usually up higher, typically above the door like Buzz has... Usually you can flip to view if it isn't already there showing the back.

The rear-view can give a better perspective on what the trailer/toad is doing and further back.

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I installed a Tadibrothers wireless camera. Tapped into the rear center marker light for power to the camera. The monitor can be powered from the cigarette lighter or an upfitter switch

http://www.tadibrothers.com
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

hedge
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, looking for the same thing. Current interest is in the Garmin unit... Updating my "Arch Nemesis" Garmin Nav to the

Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera

But open to a wireless unit too..
Towing a small open 6x12' trailer and I guess if I don't see it... it's a good thing... sigh, or very, very bad... heheh..

there have been other posts on this too, but not sure how current. Looks/sounds like Garmin might be coming out with a new one too, dunno.. price reduction usually indicates something's going one...

standing by for other's thoughts too...

thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website