cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing one side tires

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
I need to take the tires off of my TT (preferably 2 at a time) to take them to the tire store for replacement.

The store wonโ€™t remove them (an quite frankly, Iโ€™m ok with that). So, how can I lift one side at a time safely, to remove the tires?

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express with a wide gap between the tires.
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
40 REPLIES 40

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
traildog wrote:
I need to take the tires off of my TT (preferably 2 at a time) to take them to the tire store for replacement.

The store wonโ€™t remove them (an quite frankly, Iโ€™m ok with that). So, how can I lift one side at a time safely, to remove the tires?

Frankly I wouldn't deal with a tire shop that won't R&R the tires, that's part of their job in MHO.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
traildog wrote:

Avoid the hassle:) just take the trailer into the tire shop and buy tires and let them remove and install tires.
Make sure to watch them so they don't bend your axles. On several occasions I have had to intervene when they were going to put the jack under the middle of the axle! That WILL bend it, but you probably won't notice it until the tires wear poorly. Then they will claim that you must have hit something to cause it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a tire shop remove wheels be sure you watch them do it. Most places, that know what they're doing, use four jacks under the spring shackles. I watched a guy try to jack my trailer by putting a jack under the middle of the axle. I corrected him before the jack touched the axle. That would have bent the axle.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My tire store uses 4 floor jacks in position #3 shown above. Trailer connected to the truck for stability.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are three different jacking points that you can use..

I prefer to use a jack between the axles under the equalizer link (point #1 in above pix).

I use a low profile 12 ton jack which has a wide base and top, I also add a couple of jackstands while doing this.. This point will raise both wheels fairly evenly but you do need to be careful that you do not force the equalizer to flip one way or the other.

Point #2 is another good go to lift point, you will need some extra cribbing and a jack with more lift than a low profile jack.. This one can get unstable if you do not have enough cribbing and have to extend jack full lift but it can lift both wheels off the ground as long as you have enough jack height to work with.

Point #3 is a good medium compromise between points #1 and #2, you want to place jack under the spring and not the axle tube. depending on style of axle (mine is a drop style) you may need a low profile jack like I do or you may need to place additional jack at point #2 to lift slightly until you can get your jack in place.

Point #3 is where my tire shop lifts, but they have low profile garage jacks with long handles for that reach.

I would not recommend trying to lift both wheels from the front axle or in front of the front axle as that can take enough weight off of the tongue to lift it off the ground.

In all cases, use jack stands for those oops moments and try to do this on as level of ground you can get..

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
GrandpaKip wrote:
I bought another set of wheels. Took them to the tire store, had new tires and tire beads installed, brought โ€˜em home and put on one at a time. I store the extra set until I need to do it again.

Iโ€™ll presume, or hope, this post is tongue in cheekโ€ฆand what is a new tire bead?
Or do you mean balancing beads?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Iโ€™ve got a jokeโ€ฆ.
How many RV.netters does it take to change a tire?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought another set of wheels. Took them to the tire store, had new tires and tire beads installed, brought โ€˜em home and put on one at a time. I store the extra set until I need to do it again.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
traildog wrote:
Youโ€™ve given me an idea! Whatโ€™s the harm of pulling the TT front tires up on blocks, removing the rears, and doing the opposite for the fronts? It would be sitting on 2 out of 4 tires for an hour or so.

The only issue would be some trailers have a lot of travel for the axles to drop. Might take a lot of block under the tires to clear the ground. OTOH, with 1 axle on blocks, holding most of the weight, your jack must lift less weight. Less chance to fall off jack, and if it does fall, less chance of harm.

But something you might think about; This is a good chance, bleed the air out of a tire, make sure you have what you need, both between your ears and in tool box to change tire alongside the road.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ve given me an idea! Whatโ€™s the harm of pulling the TT front tires up on blocks, removing the rears, and doing the opposite for the fronts? It would be sitting on 2 out of 4 tires for an hour or so.
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't "bend the axle" by driving up on blocks. LOL. All seasoned TT and 5th wheelers do it this way.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always would set jack under leaf spring shackles, remove both tires and head to tire store, always checked brakes and clean/lube bearings at the same time. Our Discount tire location was very tight space wise, yes they could do RV tires in the parking lot, overall it was just easier for us to bring them in and attend to axle maintenance killing 2 birds with the same stone so to speak.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get two jacks and put a jack under each axle and jack them evenly.

I agree with that. Or axel was faulty to start with

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JGCorm wrote:
I see a lot of post on this board suggesting the one wheel on blocks to remove other wheel.
I tried that and with all the weight of one side on one tire I bent the axle.

If it bent the axle, something was faulty or you did something beyond blocking it on one axle. Slowly placing all the weight on one tire is far less force than hitting a pothole at 65mph.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV