cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing one side tires

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
I need to take the tires off of my TT (preferably 2 at a time) to take them to the tire store for replacement.

The store won’t remove them (an quite frankly, I’m ok with that). So, how can I lift one side at a time safely, to remove the tires?

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express with a wide gap between the tires.
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
40 REPLIES 40

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I’ve got a joke….
How many RV.netters does it take to change a tire?

Just say no to the payload police :C

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
Or you get some jack stands and do one side at a time:

I've had the TT on jackstands with all 4 wheels off but can't find the picture right now, basically put all 4 tires in the truck and took them to the tire store and dropped them off.

A piture is woth a 1000 words!
That does not look easier than taking the entire trailer to the tire store!
Now if you are doing other suspension work,that requires wheels to be off. Then changing tires at the same time maybe worthwhile.
But just for new tires hooking up is much easier than 4 jackstands

Easier maybe, like I said before, I don’t trust tire store “mechanics” to properly torque the lug nuts.

II would never own an RV without being somewhat “mechanically inclined” and didn’t actually enjoy wrenching like I do….

I arrived at my current campsite Tuesday. When I tried to use the water, the pump ran, but came out of the spigots.

Turned out a connection came loose on the pump which required me to lay down on the bedroom floor, open a compartment and reach as far as could to reach the connector.

I’m guessing most folks would have taken it in for repair. I could be wrong though.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:

I've had the TT on jackstands with all 4 wheels off but can't find the picture right now, basically put all 4 tires in the truck and took them to the tire store and dropped them off.

A piture is woth a 1000 words!
That does not look easier than taking the entire trailer to the tire store!
Now if you are doing other suspension work,that requires wheels to be off. Then changing tires at the same time maybe worthwhile.
But just for new tires hooking up is much easier than 4 jackstands
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Great! Glad it all worked out. It's, generally, recommended that you recheck the torque after 50 miles or so.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I got it done! Fortunately, my bottle jack set on several pieces of laminated beam lifted the Tt just enough.

I changed one tire at a time and inspected the brakes while they were off.
I also know they are torqued to the proper spec (something I don’t trust tire store “mechanics” to do.

Now stop ur bickering and GO CAMPING!??

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have plenty of small towns wth tire shops that sell to semi trucks however sometimes I jack one side of the trailer and do a R&R in the hubs/suspensions/other work underside along with the tire change.
I've done it in the trailer shed on crusher run limestone gravel or on the concrete pad in front of the garage.

On gravel I use a 4k lb two speed scissor jack and a 12t shorty hyd jack under the axle tubes next to the you bolts. Both have wide bases for soft surfaces.

On the concrete pad I use two 7k hyd floor jacks under the axle tubes.

Raising one end of each axle doesn't require much jacking.

Don't forget to unhook the truck......for the trip to the tire shop.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Or, one, "needs", to take the wheels off and haul them to the tire shop which was what the OP said he was going to do in the first place. I believe, that the original question was about how to jack up the trailer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
At the end of the day. Every tire shop cannot accomodate a long RV combo, however there are plenty of tire shops that have the space.
When getting tires for the RV one needs to seek out a tire shop with ample space.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
traildog wrote:
I need to take the tires off of my TT (preferably 2 at a time) to take them to the tire store for replacement.

The store won’t remove them (an quite frankly, I’m ok with that). So, how can I lift one side at a time safely, to remove the tires?

Frankly I wouldn't deal with a tire shop that won't R&R the tires, that's part of their job in MHO.

I agree with you in theory but there are quite a few tire shops that don't have the room to accomodate a 50'+ RV combo.

While that may be true, there are many that can easily handle a long combination. DD bought a new horse trailer before she had a truck, so Dad took his truck to pick it up. Tires were questionable, so first stop was Discount tire.

Not everyone has a "discount tire" or big box store chain near them.

I used to have a Sears, Montgomery Wards, Kmart and a smattering of a bunch of full service stations but alas those are 100% gone forever..

Instead, I now have a Sam's club and a couple of Mom and Pop tire shops.

Sam's club, well if you count a small alleyway between buildings as sufficient then you must be suicidal.. Not to mention, have known a few of the "mechanics" that worked in Sam's tire shop there over the yrs.. The tails of snot nosed uncaring young kids out of school with no other education isn't the best ideas when your life is riding on their poor workmanship..

Pretty much all of the box retailers will hire folks with no experience and give them minimal training on proper mounting, air guns and no training on torque wrenches..

Calling them mechanics is doing real mechanics a disservice.

Heck, I even had one of the supposed Sears mechanics damage a new tire when they couldn't figure out that with rims with offset drop centers you must mount the tire from one side only. They didn't mount it from the correct side and I discovered I had a flat tire only 5 miles from the shop..

I have only one small Mom and pop tire shop that has enough real estate to take on a truck trailer combo.. That shop does their main business with trucking fleets and independent truckers and consumer business is a bit of shelf filler.. But, they have very well trained mechanics which know how to properly use air guns and torque wrenches.. Expensive? you bet..

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
I bought another set of wheels. Took them to the tire store, had new tires and tire beads installed, brought ‘em home and put on one at a time. I store the extra set until I need to do it again.

I’ll presume, or hope, this post is tongue in cheek…and what is a new tire bead?
Or do you mean balancing beads?
Yeah, I meant balancing beads. And, no, not tongue in cheek. I have had a second set of wheels for several years. That makes it easy to get tires from wherever I want. I live on a mountain and the only time I want to troop down is when I’m going on a trip.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I jack up one side and use jack stands under the axels. You can just buy tire already 9n the rims also. Depending on what your getting the price may be the same.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
traildog wrote:

Frankly I wouldn't deal with a tire shop that won't R&R the tires, that's part of their job in MHO.

I agree with you in theory but there are quite a few tire shops that don't have the room to accomodate a 50'+ RV combo.

While that may be true, there are many that can easily handle a long combination. DD bought a new horse trailer before she had a truck, so Dad took his truck to pick it up. Tires were questionable, so first stop was Discount tire.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Edd505 wrote:
traildog wrote: