cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Mattress

TigerL
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to replace our full size mattress in our tt. Thinking about a topper instead . Does anyone have an opinion??
12 REPLIES 12

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't bother with a topper unless your budget is really restricted. If a standard size mattress (whether full or queen) will fit on your bed frame, than just buy a new mattress. We ended up doing that in our previous trailer, and with our new Winnebago, we just donated the stock mattress to the Salvation Army and purchased a new mattress at Sam's Club, where you can get a really nice mattress for around $500-$600. Because the bed frame in our Winnebago butts right up to the entertainment center wall, we replaced the short queen with a full size mattress. If you have the room for a full size queen (longer than a short queen), it just depends on whether your bed platform will support it, or whether you can do a modification to support a queen mattress.

Otherwise, many mattress stores can order a short queen mattress for you. It seems that it easier to do than it used to be, and prices have gone down.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Explorer
Explorer
Walmart memory foam $280. We like it. Online ship to store.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've replaced the mattress in all three of our TT's. We get the same mattress we use in the house on our master bed. If it works at home, it works just as nice in the camper. Always have a good night sleep now, everywhere!

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
We did not opt for memory foam as it gets cold and stays that way. We bought a 5" foam from http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/mattress.html and are happy with it for not much $

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Do it right or not at all....Sleep Number.

X2. An option to Sleep Number is Comfortaire. Less advertising, slightly lower price, older company and better reviews.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Do it right or not at all....Sleep Number.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a nice queen for $250 at ikea. Same price as a good toper. Topers are good when you already have a regular a mattress. The new mattress is by far the best upgrade we've done to the travel trailer.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is to buy what you have in your house. That way your sleeping will be the same camping or at home.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
www.verlo.com
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
We changed out our mattress recently and considered just a topper. We landed on this replacement mattress:

Amazon Link

In our case, the original mattress was just not going to make a good foundation for a topper. YMMV. ๐Ÿ™‚

Spap

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you have been around for three uears but are still a new member. This has been discussed at great lengths. Consesus is, do what you want, but dont cheap out. If you plan to keep this trailer for a while, get a quality mattress from a reputable store. If you plan to trade within a uear or so and dont mind sleeping on a lump of coal, get a cheap topper. Personally i like a good nights sleep, so we bought quality, actually exactly the same as we had in the house. Now, other than size difference we sleep like we are at home. Oh wait we are at home!

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
We actually just crossed over from a Hybrid this season, in fact were jut picking up our new Bunkhouse next week. We had the same issue with our so called mattress in the Hybrid. We went out first and bought a cheap memory foam topper thinking that would help. WRONG, We went out 2 years ago and got a 4 inch good quality memory foam topper and it made all the difference in the world.

When we pickup our 26BH Gray Wolf next week the memory foam is going straight to the new camper. I will say that the mattress is better in the new one than our Hybrid but still needs extra help. I would try the topper before replacing the mattress for sure.