cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rhino Liner Vs. Line-X Bed Liner

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for opinions on which is better.
Esacnj
29 REPLIES 29

go_jets_go
Explorer
Explorer
When I was researching what brand of bedliner to put in my new f150 most people online generally thought the line-x was the superior product. However I found that most people were comparing the rhino product tuff grip which was a softer more rubbery liner than the line-x. After talking to several local people who were very happy with their rhino bedliner I decided to visit our local rhino linings and found that they were only spraying a product that they call "hybrid" which is apparently a softer than the line-x but harder than rhino's tuff grip. Long story short I couldn't be more happy with how my liner turned out.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hybridhunter wrote:
I had Line-X on my 2011 F150. I wore 3 holes in it in 2 years of recreational use. Disappointing it was.

If you wore holes in Line-X, you would have worn holes in Rhino the same way! Or were the holes in your knees?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
It is less of a concern to which brand than who actually does the work. I don't mean which business but which person/s. It comes down to how much they care about the job they are performing. See if you can talk to and learn a little about those who actually prepare and apply the liner. That is most important.

We had our 2001 done by Line-X in about 2002. I can still brush it up and make it look new. No holes, worn spots or frayed edges.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I had Line-X on my 2011 F150. I wore 3 holes in it in 2 years of recreational use. Disappointing it was.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
DanB-ON wrote:
You need to find out what your local dealers are using and how well they are preparing and spraying the trucks. Coming to forums like these is a great way to gain information but it could mislead you somewhat as you could go to somewhere based on someone's experience and your local dealer is using a completely different product.
Rhino has lots of different products, and some dealers are still using the older style spray equipment (the thick and softer liner referenced several times in this thread) while many have moved onto the new 1 to 1 ratio hot machines that are more or less the same as Line-x.
Although Line-x doesn't have as many products as Rhino, they do have several products in their line up as well, so again finding out what your local dealer is using is key.

Dan, I get the impression that you are very happy with your local dealer and have confidence in their opinion. I have a great GMC dealer and respect what they say as well. Unfortunately there are a lot of dealers out there that use what ever liner supplier that will give them the best cut allowing them a bigger profit margin. Opinions on the forums certainly aren't perfect but at least profit isn't affecting the opinions.

Dan: On edit I see you may be referring to what different products the local liner dealer might be using and yes it could very well change your purchase decision.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farm Camp,

I totally understood your first post and FWIW, the 1993 Chevy 2500 pickup with black Rhino liner I had sold back in 2004 to an asparagus farmer who's farm is next to some acreage we own didn't let off black either. That's really why I had commented on your post and certainly wasn't questioning your honesty. He still has the 93 today with well over 300K on it as of last Sept and we see it and him several times a year. Yes, he now has dents in a couple fenders and the passenger door but still no rust. I did have it Ziebarted when new and it surely didn't hurt. I'm going to ask him next time up if the Rhino is leaving off black residue now.

Hey, farmers don't have time to wash their vehicles as they get dirty every day agian!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Farm Camp etc,

All my Rhino liners were and are black and none of them would or will leave black on your hands.

BTW "Farm Camp", What the heck were you carrying on your Rhino lined bed anyway that made the black leave off? I've never seen any of the better brand liners do it.

Just to be clear this was in 1999 as I said earlier...

So after a year on my 1999 Dodge (with no topper) if I touched the Rhino liner I'd come away with a black powdery residue on my hands. It was annoying but not somethign that made me sorry I picked it. Remember this was 1999/2002 timeframe. Again - newer material or treatment (or regular cleaning - LOL) might stop this from happening.

I didn't mean to leave the impression that I didn't like the liner. It did its job well, extended all the way up the sides of the bed and continued right on around to cover the top rail of the bed all the way around. The dealer did a great job of applying it and it always looked great. I hauled dirt, gravel, roofing, lumber, you name it. The only time I ever did any damage was when I dropped a 5ft wide cultivator (several 100s of pounds) from my farm tractor's three point hitch in the bed while unloading it. One of the tines put a pretty good gouge in it, but did not go all the way through. I never even bothered to have it repaired. Nothing else I tossed in there ever was able to put a scratch on it.

The only nit was the black powdery crud it would leave on my hands unless I kept it cleaned on a very regular basis - which I never did...
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

DanB-ON
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find out what your local dealers are using and how well they are preparing and spraying the trucks. Coming to forums like these is a great way to gain information but it could mislead you somewhat as you could go to somewhere based on someone's experience and your local dealer is using a completely different product.
Rhino has lots of different products, and some dealers are still using the older style spray equipment (the thick and softer liner referenced several times in this thread) while many have moved onto the new 1 to 1 ratio hot machines that are more or less the same as Line-x.
Although Line-x doesn't have as many products as Rhino, they do have several products in their line up as well, so again finding out what your local dealer is using is key.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 39R12

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I did a ton of research and asked a lot of people and decided on Line-X.

A forklift driver punctured it with one of the forks while loading a pallet. I took it back to the Line-X dealer and they patched it and resprayed the entire bed because it was Line-X Premium (which is also not supposed to fade). I can't tell now where the tear was.

I love my Line-X liner.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
One of my trucks, the '92, has had Rhino in it likely since new, about 22 years. It's still in very good shape, aside from fading to dark grey. My truck has been a working truck all it's life.

I put Herculiner in my utility body 6 years ago and it's still in good shape and has been used alot. None of my trucks are garage queens or grocery getters (well, the Ranger does do some shopping). They all haul lots of various stuff in the bed on regular basis.

I'm pretty happy with Rhino. Also happy with Herculiner, for a less expensive, do-it-yourself product. I will use Herculiner more in the future. If I ever have a liner sprayed in by a shop, it will likely be Rhino.

I have nothing against Line-X, just haven't used it.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rdrector
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜‰ for Linex. I have had in 3 trucks now. Held up very well. Does limit sliding some, but I can see were Rhino may do a better job in sliding prevention. Regardless, any load should be secured with straps when possible.

IMO Linex has a nice factory OEM look to it. Should be a standard on new trucks.

Rhino to me appears to look more inconsistant in appearence and thickness. Looks like a rubbery blend, not appealing to the eye as much as Linex.

Looks and function, I will continue to choose Linex first.

As far as issues,

I've seen Linex obtain a small scrape or gouge on some beds.

Rhino I usually see a peeling effect.

Fading they both can to a degree. Rhino appears to do so more rapidly with a chalky look. Linex tends to just look a little dull.
2013 Jayco Eagle 324 BTS
2010 KZ Spree 318BHS
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Dodge Quad 4x4 CTD 4.10

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Rhino liner in my previous truck. I also had a topper on that truck. I liked it because it was much softer on my knees. As others have stated, NOTHING slides around on this stuff. It's real grabby.

No problems with it in the 8 years I owned the truck.

I believe you can get the Rhino applied in different colors.

I think the prep work by the installer is critical no matter which one you choose.

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
I have Rhino liner in my 2011 F150. I have had no issues with it. I like it's rubber finish. Stops things sliding around, and easier on the knees.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Line-X - it works great. No experience with other applied liners.