cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Riding While Towing

Chessyman
Explorer
Explorer
I know it is illegal, but I am thinking of getting a travel trailer and wondered how much of a concern it really was and if you do it anyway.

Thanks in advance.
37 REPLIES 37

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
Legal in 18 states
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you roll a diesel pusher you have far more problems than the air bags. In any accident I will take the weight of a large motor coach over a pick-up any time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I witnessed a class a pusher that rolled from front tire blowing out. Multiple deaths and injuries, wife was driving and over corrected. Thing was shredded

I like rvs. Will not ride in them. Give me the newest truck and all the air bags for my family.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread.

I say JUST DON'T DO IT.

It is just not at all a safe idea.

Sorry to say I have allowed it to happen. I have some friends that are really bad alcoholics. I could not convince them to not have a Open Bottle in the truck. I told them to get into the TT and we got them home that way.

There was no other way to do it.

I don't think in MN it is against the law to haul people in a TT.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too was surprised at the number of states that allowed people to ride in the TT.

Judging from the jumble of stuff when I forget to anchor and item of two I would not let my dog ride in the TT.

In most cases, no shocks, tires not balances, four tires set close and near the middle and a hitch that allows the TV and TT to bounce. Nope; I prefer a frame with a wheel near each corner, we call it a TV.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

Airplane crashes have a 95% survival rate. There's a media bias because only mass casualties get good ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Science-Fear-Culture-Manipulates/dp/0452295467

Here's a GREAT read for anyone interested in this topic. Lot's of stuff on media bias and our decision making.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
bfast54 wrote:
Since you posted in the travel trailers it is legal IN Indiana Iowa Kansas Maryland Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska and North Carolina to ride in a bumper pull travel trailer ---it is legal in many states to ride in a fifth wheel trailer.as well.(Just looked it up)....Note There ARE some restrictions . Most require A good communication between vehicle and Trailer (I am surprised that many states ):E

Note this info comes from website ---"everything about RVing" a Good Sam sponsered website.

Now Before people go losing their minds---- Take a look at the way a lot of class C's are built!!!

Can you tell me what difference there is between a Class C & a trailer in construction ???????...:h

Yet people fill class c's all the time.

The NEWER class C and B are built Way different than the old ones.

Don't know about the other states, illegal to ride in a tt in MN. Must be a king pin connection.

Interestingly enough, I was listening to a "ask a cop" radio show in Minnesota last week and someone asked a highway patrolman this exact question. He said it was allowed by law to ride in a travel trailer or fiver. I looked it up this morning, and sure enough it it is! Not that it is a good idea!

That cop was wrong and MPR should address that mistake. It is even quoted on the MPR website and is in error. Call Minnesota State Patrol and ask if you need to.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tll
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
bfast54 wrote:
Since you posted in the travel trailers it is legal IN Indiana Iowa Kansas Maryland Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska and North Carolina to ride in a bumper pull travel trailer ---it is legal in many states to ride in a fifth wheel trailer.as well.(Just looked it up)....Note There ARE some restrictions . Most require A good communication between vehicle and Trailer (I am surprised that many states ):E

Note this info comes from website ---"everything about RVing" a Good Sam sponsered website.

Now Before people go losing their minds---- Take a look at the way a lot of class C's are built!!!

Can you tell me what difference there is between a Class C & a trailer in construction ???????...:h

Don't know about the other states, illegal to ride in a tt in MN. Must be a king pin connection.

Interestingly enough, I was listening to a "ask a cop" radio show in Minnesota last week and someone asked a highway patrolman this exact question. He said it was allowed by law to ride in a travel trailer or fiver. I looked it up this morning, and sure enough it it is! Not that it is a good idea!
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:

If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
When I first started towing a horse trailer, the barn owner told me, "You ride back there and let me tow you down the road and see how much you like it. You'll learn really quick to be gentle with everything."

I agree. And would definitely not want to ever do it in a travel trailer.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Little off topic, this is something that is quite common to see (at least in Indiana). Usually, folks are loading up to take their boats to the water. At this campground, the water was about 5 miles away. I've never seen anyone ride in a boat on the highways, but quite common at State Parks and State Recreation areas. Maybe they think there is a difference driving 30 mph than 60 mph. And yes, I've seen inflatable "toys" flip out of the back of boats on the road, and the kids scrambling to try to rescue them. Very scary to follow them in the truck when this happens.

I've never heard of anyone ever falling out of the boat, but still, it makes me cringe every time I see this. Sometimes, kids are hanging over the edges, climbing around, acting like monkeys. I understand the excitement, but sometimes common sense IS thrown to the wind! It's not just RV's here. THIS example is very common, much more than riding in an RV.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chessyman wrote:
I know it is illegal, but I am thinking of getting a travel trailer and wondered how much of a concern it really was and if you do it anyway.

Thanks in advance.

There's just the two of us, though my truck can seat six, so I really can't think of a reason we'd want to.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
When I was little I rode in the old camp trailer we had a few miles down to the main highway before I got in the truck. I wouldn't let my kids do it in our bumper pull today.

When I was in my teens I rode in the living quarters of a gooseneck horse trailer for about 400mi. It wasn't bad at all. The aluminum structure, no awning, made for a decently quiet and comfortable ride. I would let my kids ride in my parents current gooseneck horse trailer.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Crashogre
Explorer
Explorer
My grandmother rode in the back of the trailer. My grandfather was a very catious & safe drive. Rounding a curve in Nevada , the trailer swayed and she was thrown out of the trailer. Unfortunately her scarf got caught and she was dragged a bit before it ripped. She was lucky, she only had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital. I grew up riding in a camper and were never allowed to walk around while travelling. Having done all that I would never ride in a trailer. Theres reasons its illegal and I can't see any benefit to riding back there.
-----------------------------------
John, Shawna & Teddy the wonder Pyr (or so he thinks)
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT
2015 Coleman 16FSB